rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

My first purchase: Sairento. Really enjoying it but I had a hazy feeling that something was missing. The combat is great and once you get used to the teleport movement it gives you a superb feeling of empowerment. I like how you can pull a katana from your back and a weapon from your side and combo enemies with some badass flips and wall runs. Very satisfying.

It's the mission structure that's weak. A series of challenges for rewards rather than any kind of narrative.

Then I discover it's also out on PSVR with a full campaign. What's going on? Sure, it's less expensive on Quest but I'd rather pay more and get the full experience.

Surely it's not a processing/memory thing? The game is hardly Skyrim.

Just noticed tonight that my right lens has scratched :(

I noticed an area on my glasses was scratched (very small circle) but thought nothing of it, looks like my glasses lens has been rubbing against the quest lens during beat sabre.

Google suggests these things aren't replaceble too, which seems increadibly stupid!

• Empathy 2

Release day for new games and experiences is every Thursday. They seem to be releasing 2 every week from what I can tell. As with all the VR platforms there is very little info about what is upcoming and when though.

So far the release schedule has been great I think, tons of great content already with plenty coming every week or two, most of which I find very reasonably priced (but then again I still see VR like having an arcade from t he future in your living room so it always seems such a bargain to me).

Sairento has suddenly become my game of choice. Didn't get it when it was released, but have seen the devs have updated it a couple of times already and seem very dedicated so decided to give it a try. It takes an hour or so to get into it, but once you do its just so much fun (provided you have the VR legs to handle it).Going into slow motion after doing a wall run while shooting crazy ninja things in the head is just so satisfying. Apparently they are working on multiplayer as a free update and all for just 16.99 (canadian dollars so I guess around 11 quid on the UK store?).

Anyway, there isn't a story mode and it's cut down and cheaper than the PSVR / PC counterpart, but it's just glorious fun with the added freedom of no fucking cables getting in the way. Anyway, now sits next to Beat Saber and Racket NX as my current top 3. I am enjoying dipping into Half Life VR every now and again though...just for a nostalgia kick.

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Anyway, now sits next to Beat Saber and Racket NX as my current top 3. I am enjoying dipping into Half Life VR every now and again though...just for a nostalgia kick.

Hang on, Half Life on Quest! Must check that out. How..?

22 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Hang on, Half Life on Quest! Must check that out. How..?

You install LambdaVR through Sidequest snd then just need to copy over a Half Life game folder from Steam and that's about it. You can use HD textures  which makes it pretty sharp. The train ride at the start is a bit of a barf fest (it feels like it moves SO FAST when you are in it in VR), but played the first hour or so I guess and its very playable and therefore awesome in small doses it seems and great to see Half Life again from a different perspective after all these years.

Putting more and more time into Sariento and finding the core mechanic and the game play just SO MUCH FUN. Especially once I realised you can do advanced moves such as flipping upside down etc. The feeling of pulling off multiple head shots while upside down in slo mo before sliding into a plasma sword uppercut is just BRILLIANT.

Now my goto game for Quest and some of the most fun I've had in VR (including when I owned a CV1). Love it and can't wait for the DLC. I really can't believe I have some crazy arena ninja future sport in my lounge for the price of a couple of pints.

• Upvote 2

Bought my quest into my work and used part of the school hall with boundary turned off. Very effective ! Still if I could have used the entire hall it would be even better , might try before the end of summer.

Played exorcist for a bit. Being about to walk around the area without having to fake walk is awesome. Still wasnt perfect but very cool.

Was quite a freaky experience with the eerie noises and jump scares.

Been playing some Half Life today, it's mighty impressive. The controls take a bit of getting used to (especially as the orientation of your left hand affects the direction of the control sticks). However the thing is that it works. Played about 20  mins and basically just got the pistol. It doesn't have positional audio which can be a bit weird when people are talking but then this is just a mod so I can forgive that. What is impressive is that even though it's graphically data you still really get that sense of presence. The facility does feel massive and even when you are on the train ride at the beginning you do feel that you are in the train carriage and not just in your room at home.

Just picked one up here what are good games to ease me in that won’t make me feel sick ? Moss looks great so I’ll pick that up 

Definitley Moss, although it's not a game that really shows off the Quest abilities, it's just a wonderful game.

Beat Saber and Superhot are absolute must haves too and will be fine as they don't have any motion that is external to what you are doing. Beat Saber is the game that I show to anyone who has never used VR before and it has never been an issue.

• Upvote 2

Would second Beat Saber which is an absolute joy....as is Superhot. Space Pirate Trainer and Racket Fury do what they do very well and are excellent value (SPT is limited in scope but is just great fun and almost certainly won't induce any sickness!). Racket NX is fantastic (especially multi player) and I Expect You to Die is a good seated experience that again should be comfortable for people new to the Quest.

Of course, my favourite of the moment is Sairento...but you need VR legs for that one.

Oh, and a few interesting looking releases tomorrow (Red Matter if you like puzzlers and want something very pretty)

Currently on the fence. Have the PSVR at present, but like most find it a bother to get everything set up.

Any opinions on people with both? Especially now that it's been out for a few months, worth the investment?

I have both and I think the Quest is a worthwhile investment (but it probably depends on your financial situation as well). I play VR more now because the Quest is so easy to just put on and be playing. Having said that since No Man’s Sky Beyond released I’ve been back on PSVR, although you do really notice how constricted you are with the wires and how poor the moves are compared to the touch controllers. On the flip side NMS obviously couldn’t run on the Quest hardware.

• Upvote 1

I have both and if it wasn't for NMS I'm not sure I would bother getting the PSVR out. The wires are a pain! When I get ready for a NMS session it feels like I'm putting some sort of gimp suit on. And even when I'm 'suited up' there's moments when the immersion is broken. For instance, the cable pulls, digs into my back or the headphones get tangled.

Having said that, don't expect the visual quality to be much higher on Quest. Yes, it is better, but it still has that slightly fuzzy quality.

If you're not into NMS and have the cash I'd sell the PSVR and get a Quest.

Thanks for all the suggestions, what a difference wireless makes compared to the PSVR!

It's a shame it's been so warm over the weekend, only managed some time in the mornings. Including falling on my arse playing Superhot, worth every penny!

Does anyone have any suggestions for compact travel cases? Don't mind using the original box for storage, but would prefer something that I can take round friends etc. Is it worth spending the extra on the official case?

I have the official oculus case and it’s very good, although you really can’t fit anything more than the headset, controllers, charger and cable in it. This is something to consider if you are thinking about attaching a battery pack to the straps or some such.

As I say though, it’s very good, feels sturdy and because the fit is so snug it packs everything away into the smallest pack possible. I always put the headset and controllers back in it when I’m finished as it takes no real time to do it and keeps it all safe. The only fiddly thing in packing the whole lot away to take it somewhere with you is the way you need to wrap the USB cable up to fit it in with the plug.

• Upvote 1

Just caved after a few months of temptation for one of these, should arrive tomorrow, can't wait! Going to try Vader Immortal just because Star Wars, anyone experienced with Red Matter and End Space? Both look pretty epic! Also fancy the ISS simulator and the Apollo 11 experience, although the latter doesn't get great reviews on the Quest.

Just a couple of updates on my continuing love of all things Quest. Continuing to have so much fun with Sairento, the new map and gun with the DLC just adding to it (very reasonably priced) with another free map coming in a couple of weeks and co-op boss battles at the end of the month. Great stuff.

Red Matter seems really solid so far, puzzles not overly taxing and with a great atmosphere and  very pretty for a Quest game.Time Stall looks really nice but I got bored of the gameplay mechanic after the first level but  that's probably because it seems so slow after Sairento. Be interested in watching some of the NextVR events as the video quality in the stuff they have up already varies from good to excellent.

Have also set up a Shadow Cloud PC that I've been streaming STEAMVR to just to experiment. While the lag isn't too bad, it doesn't really work with fast moving PCVR stuff but have been having a blast with Google Earth back in my life. But I'm about 1000 miles from the nearest data centre. Definitely now thinking of shipping my gaming PC from the UK so I can set up a local stream of PCVR stuff directly from that PC to the Quest. For those with a gaming PC, a 5ghz compatible router and the ability to plug the PC directly into the router then I would definitely recommend trying Virtual Desktop with this set-up. Even playing on a cloud PC 1000 miles away I got a ton of enjoyment from a few things (finished Vanishing Realms for instance) so I think a good local setup could be VERY playable indeed (depending on how tolerant you are to a little bit of lag). Still, it was fun to see No Mans SKy in VR, even if it wasn'y ultimately playable for long sessions with that set-up.

• Upvote 2

On 30/08/2019 at 06:33, metallicfrodo said:

I’ve been meaning to pick up Red Matter, seems to have reviewed really well on other platforms and supposedly the port to the Quest is stellar.

The port really is excellent. Rock solid and to be honest I was not expecting the Quest to be able to produce graphics of this quality.

Well after my first weekend playing I'm sold, it really is awesome! I had a PSVR briefly a year or 2 ago and this is much nicer, and so much easier to jump in to! I also found I had little to no nausea whereas the PSVR left me feeling a bit sweaty and sick after 30 mins playing. I played through Vader Immortal which was good, although did just feel like a tech demo. The height of Vader though! Spent some time in Red Matter last night and it is enjoyable, the puzzles aren't too difficult and it is pretty.

One thing I am struggling with a little bit though is finding the right balance of locomotion vs physically moving. I have a fairly large play space (about 10x8ft) but I kept finding myself backed up against a sofa or next to a wall as I just wanted to walk places since the immersion leads you into it. I really would love to play this in a gym hall or something and just fully walk around!