rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Do we know if the oculus movie experiences like the hedgehogs birthday and the big robot in the forest (names have completely escaped me) will be available on the quest? 

14 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

If you bought a game on the lift store to use with the rift , do you have access to the quest version too ? And vice versa.

Some will have cross buy, some won’t. I think Superhot will, but Moss has been confirmed to not have it. Others are tba!

Love the idea of the tech, but the list of games looks pretty shit. Superhot (and perhaps Beat Saber) aside, I see nothing to rival Astro Bot, Wipeout, even Skyrim, Why isn't Skyrim on the list?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Love the idea of the tech, but the list of games looks pretty shit. Superhot (and perhaps Beat Saber) aside, I see nothing to rival Astro Bot, Wipeout, even Skyrim, Why isn't Skyrim on the list?  

Because it runs on a mobile phone? 

Tbh Superhot, Robo Recall and Beat Saber are all I need in the short term. 

Having a properly portable version of Keep Talking is so excellent too. 

4 hours ago, Paulando said:

Some will have cross buy, some won’t. I think Superhot will, but Moss has been confirmed to not have it. Others are tba!

Superhot been confirmed as not crossbuy.  

Just now, robdood said:

Uh huh. Better quality VR than psvr tho. 

But no Astro-Bot, no Wipeout, no Resident Evil 7, no No Man's Sky, no SKYRIM!!  

This is a cash-in by Oculus prior to the release of next-generation console and mobile phone technology. I foresee a fair amount of buyers remorse with this...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Utterly absurd up call it a 'cash-in.' The first all in VR solution to market, launching at £50 more than the PSVR did (no console needed), controllers included, no base stations, proper inside out tracking with 6dof.. and yes, while it's all about the games, the games need time to port to an android-based system by devs. It's a new platform, so you have your usual day-one gamble on trusting whether the support will come, but a cash-in? Cripes.

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, Thor said:

But no Astro-Bot, no Wipeout, no Resident Evil 7, no No Man's Sky, no SKYRIM!!  

This is a cash-in by Oculus prior to the release of next-generation console and mobile phone technology. I foresee a fair amount of buyers remorse with this...

Which of those games were available when you got your PSVR, I'm curious?

Personally, aside from Astro Bot I'm not interested in the rest. 

I can still play Astro Bot, WipEout and No Man’s Sky on my PS VR (and Statik, and plenty of others). I’ll be using the Quest for the games that will make use of full 360° movement and better hand tracking, which is pretty much everything else.

I bought Skyrim on PS VR and it’s pretty shit, really. The Move controllers just fall apart when movement is required, and I refuse to do that awful teleport thing.

12 minutes ago, robdood said:

Which of those games were available when you got your PSVR, I'm curious?

Personally, aside from Astro Bot I'm not interested in the rest. 

PSVR was three years ago, when the tech was the domain of high end PC users only. And it released with a great selection including Batman and PSVR Worlds. 

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

Utterly absurd up call it a 'cash-in.' The first all in VR solution to market, launching at £50 more than the PSVR did (no console needed), controllers included, no base stations, proper inside out tracking with 6dof.. and yes, while it's all about the games, the games need time to port to an android-based system by devs. It's a new platform, so you have your usual day-one gamble on trusting whether the support will come, but a cash-in? Cripes.

Time will tell. If I was spending that amount of money today on new tech, I'd want it to run the likes of Elite Dangerous.

4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I bought Skyrim on PS VR and it’s pretty shit, really. The Move controllers just fall apart when movement is required, and I refuse to do that awful teleport thing.

Get your setup right. Unless I move outside of the cameras view, the move controllers are brilliant. Using a bow in Skyrim VR never gets old. 

Just now, Thor said:

Get your setup right. Unless I move outside of the cameras view, the move controllers are brilliant. Using a bow in Skyrim VR never gets old. 

My setup is fine :lol: They’re rubbish when any kind of movement is required.

You should probably just accept this isn’t for you and move on. The attraction of the Quest isn’t to play the latest and greatest graphical marvels (there will always be other headsets that provide that), it’s to be completely wireless with full 360° tracking, and with decent hand controllers. It’s like the Nintendo Switch version of VR.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

PSVR was three years ago, when the tech was the domain of high end PC users only. And it released with a great selection including Batman and PSVR W

:coffee:

50 minutes ago, Paulando said:

They’re rubbish when any kind of movement is required.

Sorry but this is patent bollocks. The Move controls on Skyrim VR are great. 

51 minutes ago, Paulando said:

You should probably just accept this isn’t for you and move on. The attraction of the Quest isn’t to play the latest and greatest graphical marvels (there will always be other headsets that provide that), it’s to be completely wireless with full 360° tracking, and with decent hand controllers. It’s like the Nintendo Switch version of VR.

You're right, it's clearly not for me. I'm just surprised this is for anyone at that price point. Either way, I'll stop stinking up the thread now. 

400 quid obviously isn't a mass market price but it's also not a million miles off what you would have to pay to get a PSVR and Move controllers (which you need to make it comparable with the Quest) from Amazon today. Currently that little lot would set you back £370 with PSVR Worlds. Now I freely admit that is because the move controllers are stupidly priced at the moment (£120) but then if Sony won't produce them in sensible numbers that's what happens. Even at their more usual 70 quid, it's still £320 pounds for PSVR, IF you already have a PS4.

My friend who loved playing on my PSVR is really keen on getting one because for him, as a none PS4 owner it is significanly cheaper and much much more flexible. 

What’s the best underwater or similar experience type thing that’ll work on this then? 

I’m wanting something where I can just stick the headset on the heads on those who have never experienced VR before such as my parents, father-in-law, brothers and sister etc’s head and blow their minds. Ideally something where no button presses are required. 

The deep sea diving thing from PSVR Worlds would be perfect. 

Hmm I'm not sure, really.  There was an excellent non-interactive thing called Dreamdeck with the original Rift, not sure if that'll be on Quest - it should be!! It was an excellent intro to VR.

First Contact is definitely confirmed though, and although it does involve 'buttons', the elegance of the touch controllers cannot be overstated.  Here's me demoing a bit of it way back when.. 

• Upvote 1

Have stuck an order in on Amazon anyway so that I can hopefully get one on launch. 

Not got a 100% go ahead from the missus yet but I did show her Dance Central yesterday and didn’t get a definite No which is always a good sign. Fingers crossed I don’t need to cancel it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 07/05/2019 at 06:50, jonny_rat said:

While I agree with your point, I'm a little put out by this sentiment which I see being echoed across pretty much all the Quest reviews I've watched & read.

The Oculus Go is self-contained VR platform that I don't think the Quest should get to erase just because it has better visuals & motion tracking.  I have some games I love to return to on there such as Smash Hit & Proton Pulse as well as quite an extensive Wishlist that I dip into whenever I want something new.  Add to that the quite extensive list of 360 & 180 VR videos provided both by Oculus on the Home menu & on the Youtube VR app, & IMO you have a solid little VR platform which can stand on its own as well as an appetizer for something meatier like the Quest.

• Upvote 1

To be fair I think he is referring to all in one inc motion tracked control. I was tempted by the Go but didn't like the look of the very basic controller, which i thought would lead to very static experiences limited to point and click, reminded me of a slightly better google cardboard or GearVR

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jarik said:

While I agree with your point, I'm a little put out by this sentiment which I see being echoed across pretty much all the Quest reviews I've watched & read.

The Oculus Go is self-contained VR platform that I don't think the Quest should get to erase just because it has better visuals & motion tracking.  I have some games I love to return to on there such as Smash Hit & Proton Pulse as well as quite an extensive Wishlist that I dip into whenever I want something new.  Add to that the quite extensive list of 360 & 180 VR videos provided both by Oculus on the Home menu & on the Youtube VR app, & IMO you have a solid little VR platform which can stand on its own as well as an appetizer for something meatier like the Quest.

Yes, that's true! I should have said that it's the first all in solution that mimics the full VR tracking setup, with room positioning, etc. There's probably going to be room for the Go-style setup for some time, though I'd imagine that devs will start drifting away from it when more inside-out all in devices are available.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

To be fair I think he is referring to all in one inc motion tracked control. I was tempted by the Go but didn't like the look of the very basic controller, which i thought would lead to very static experiences limited to point and click, reminded me of a slightly better google cardboard or GearVR

That is a fair point.  The 2 games I mentioned (Smash Hit & Proton Pulse) don't need the controller & can be played just by moving your head & one button.  I have been impressed though by the fact that most of the time you can see the Go controller in VR & it has pretty accurate motion tracking & pointer, to the point that you can even turn it side-to-side allowing twisting motions.  Some games even even have overlays that turn it into a Magic Wand (The Well) or a Sci-fi Multitool (Star Wars Droid Repair Bay).

Both of those games make more of an effort to use the capabilities of the Go Controller, & I've just started another called "They Suspect Nothing" which appears promising as something that not only uses the controller for more than pointing but also as a more substantial experience with levels, high scores & unlocks.

My feeling is that there's still mileage to be gotten out of the Motion Tracking/Pointer aiming capabilities of the Go Controller that might go unexplored if everyone immediately jumps ship to the Quest & forgets the Go even existed, & the Go should continue to exist as a more affordable & easier to use alternative than the Quest which nonetheless has it's own solid VR experiences.