rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

26 minutes ago, Clipper said:

very weird. If It is a faulty unit (which it sounds like it is) then get it replaced. All launches have failure rates both major (doesn't start up) and minor (glitches like you describe).

I think I was just unlucky, I got a refund as Argos were out of stock at the moment so it seems to be selling well.

in other news I picked up the travel case from argos - they claimed a 1 week wait for it to appear for click and collect at my local branch but in fact appeared a dsay later.

So if your local branch shows a long wait for a click and collect then just put one in anyway and it may well appear early.

I don't believe they are woirth £40 but decent enough case

Just get the £20 navitech one from Amazon. It’s perfect. Everything fits, and you have £20 more to spend on games or a VR cover.

Back on Beat Sabre to reclaim a few Hard leaderboard positions after watching a few experts playing. It seems the technique is to put a lot more fluid wrist action into it. Plenty of examples on this channel of ridiculous Jedi-level speed and skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv93bU9h_KY

Next target is metallicfrodo's Expert scores. That will take a while.

Are you just playing Solo and selecting different songs for high scores, or are these scores in the Campaign?

Not really looked into the former yet but have come to an annoying level in the campaign (min movement) that I’m not at all enjoying. 

Also.... played Vader for the first time last night. It was awesome! I’m surprised at the lack of love for it - is it the length that people are unimpressed with? I’ve found it to be brilliantly immersive and really engaging so far. The only issue I have with it is that I need a much bigger space to walk around in properly to explore the world. Can’t wait to play more this evening!

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Back on Beat Sabre to reclaim a few Hard leaderboard positions after watching a few experts playing. It seems the technique is to put a lot more fluid wrist action into it. Plenty of examples on this channel of ridiculous Jedi-level speed and skill:

I only seemed to be able to see two scores of yours, which is a bit weird as I got the impression that you had done a few. I'm going to go an set some more expert ones for you to chase now (although I am pretty rusty at the momemt). Very tempted to put some custom songs on there to.

EDIT: Just run through and now have expert scores on all the OST 1 and 2 tracks (not very good at the moment, mostly Bs)

Had a slight issue with my left contoller as well. It was losing tracking at points and then it totally lost it, had to take the battery out and reinsert it to get it to recognise its position again. Hoping it's just a one off and not an issue with the controller itself.

I’ve set scores on all tracks on Hard. But I’ve only done a few on Expert so far. That’s the next job. Just getting through to the end of each track will do me for now - gonna be way behind your ‘rusty’ scores for a while.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

God damn it, allegedly that was her first go :O  Having the green left hand on that song totally throws me. :(

I just can't read the patterns on the harder levels, yet.  They really could've put the songs in a 'difficulty' order, rather than just alphabetical.  The campaign is a bit crap as all the special rules are a bit daft. 

27 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Ah, you’re doing alright. Just pipped me again I see!

Heheh, I'd never manage to finish that song before!! 

I do get a weird tracking problem from time to time where one of my hand will just freak out and lose tracking.  Massively annoying when in the zone in Beat Saber!!  Anyone else getting that?

Hmm something very weird is going on with the leaderboards on this. I went through all the friends leaderboards for songs on hard and there wasn't a single score set. I also assume that @robdood has scores set and he is definitely on my friends list yet I am seeing no scores for him either.

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Hmm something very weird is going on with the leaderboards on this. I went through all the friends leaderboards for songs on hard and there wasn't a single score set. I also assume that @robdood has scores set and he is definitely on my friends list yet I am seeing no scores for him either.

Scores don't appear until you've done a song as far as I can tell. 

I think there's problems with scores not uploading to leaderboards on the psvr version too, well some of mine haven't anyway, and I barely see anyone on the leaderboards.

9 minutes ago, spatular said:

I think there's problems with scores not uploading to leaderboards on the psvr version too, well some of mine haven't anyway, and I barely see anyone on the leaderboards.

Yeah, I was about to say that I think I have the same problem on PSVR.

21 minutes ago, robdood said:

Scores don't appear until you've done a song as far as I can tell. 

I'd assumed it was this, but if there are wider problems then that's a real bummer.

The three things this needs are: an easy way to import custom songs on Quest; screencasting on Quest; and working leaderboards.

I know they're working on the first two - it's a party game for God's sake. Get it sorted!

I've wobbled through the steps to get custom beatsaber tracks on the quest - it's not too painful, and it completely transforms the game.

Lessons learned:

• The toConvert folder should contain the contents of the downloaded zips, not the zips themselves
  • There has to be at least one custom song, or else the patched apk will lock on a black screen
  • The patched apk seems impervious to standard uninstall methods (there's an uninstall option in the tool that I only noticed after I'd got things working)

4 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Also.... played Vader for the first time last night. It was awesome! I’m surprised at the lack of love for it - is it the length that people are unimpressed with? I’ve found it to be brilliantly immersive and really engaging so far. The only issue I have with it is that I need a much bigger space to walk around in properly to explore the world. Can’t wait to play more this evening!

If you don't want to puncture your feeling of how awesome it is then don't play it in a bigger space.

The main complaint here (inc from me) was that it wasn't very "roomscale-friendly".Whenever I wandered too far or in wrong direction or even looked the wrong way at times it gave me a black screen saying "Return to play area".... It is one of those VR experiences where the devs wnat you to see allt he cool stuff and they don't want you wandering off looking at other parts when dramatic stuff is happening elsewhere.

Also the saber combat I found lacking. it was incredibly simple (almost insultingly so) and no real way to fail leading to it not being immersive. The training bot thing at start on ship was most engaging part for me.

I also found Vader a little lacking. The lightsaber play was only okay (especially after Beat Saber), the 'puzzle' box thing was supremely insulting, but I did like the climbing and the settings. Put less than an hour into it, and know I won't go back to it personally, but meeting Vader will be a good intro to VR for a few friends, so I'm keeping it for that.

Also, the Creed demo was rubbish, and I played it in a boxing ring sized space. The fight mechanics are horrible though.

So I've gone and installed some custom songs (24 to be precise). I basically went through the top downloads on beatsaver and picked the ones that I liked (or seemed liked they'd be popular for showing people the game) with high approval ratings. In general they are great. However, seriously if you are going to spend effort on getting normal, hard, expert and expert + charts created at least take the effort to get a decent ogg rip of the song, not one that sounds like you've converted it from a 92kbps mp3.

Some of the charts are really amazing (Gangnam style being a great example where the charting actually works with the dance moves), and actually make you wonder why the developers haven't used some of the saber flows that are used in the custom songs, there are just certain actions that feel really nice. However the one thing I will say for the OST is that 2 mins is about the right length for a track, anything over 3:30 mins begins to either get very repetative or just plain knackering (this is actually an issue I have with the first lot of official DLC they released).

Top track at the moment is probably Shake It Off, not really my taste in music, but it just works so well in Beat Saber, whereas I wasn't really feeling Back In Black (which is a song I love). On the flipside though the two System of a Down tracks I have are amazing!

• Upvote 1

Can’t wait until custom tracks are viable for technophobes who lack a PC and would run far away from any command line shenanigans.

On 02/06/2019 at 19:33, jonamok said:

Just get the £20 navitech one from Amazon. It’s perfect. Everything fits, and you have £20 more to spend on games or a VR cover.

NOOOOOOOOOO, why didn't i see this before. I got mine from Argos on Sunday. 

I've just started playing Beat Saber. I've seen a few of your scores. I think i'm bottom of the pile but i've only played them once. Watch out i'm after your all, when i can get my lazy arse out the chair.

Trying to sideload tracks from a Mac is a bloody ball ache. 

20 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Can’t wait until custom tracks are viable for technophobes who lack a PC and would run far away from any command line shenanigans.

I went the Virtual Machine route, but it was a nightmare. It's still not working so like you i might wait for a simple solution. I'm keeping away from that command line stuff. Shouldn't be too long before we have decent solution. 

Finally got mine open on Thursday :wub:

I’ll share some thoughts about the software another time, but the hardware is utterly wonderful. Incredibly well-designed from the off, with a gorgeous box and some neat little features (the IPD Switch is genius, and the sound reproduction is witchcraft). The controllers are superb, and far better than the comparatively rubbish PS Moves. The tracking is rock solid, and the button layout is perfect (they have sticks!).

It’s also so immediate. I’m not one to play VR for hours on end, just a quick go here and there; as wonderful as the PS VR is, the setup required for a ‘quick go’ is becoming a little too much to bother with. You just pop this on your head and you can play right away. It even turns on automatically.

It’s no surprise that the star of the show is the lack of wires and external cameras. Seriously, it’s a revolution. It’s just a single wire, and yet it’s a constant reminder that the real world exists outside of this virtual world, constantly pulling you out of that experience. You can’t really turn all the way around in case it wraps around you, and you can’t face away from the camera without the tracking go haywire. The Quest has none of this, and you’re free to turn around as much as you want to. In the walking games you just use the sticks to move forwards and backwards, because you can turn with your body instead of the right stick. It’s magical.

I remain convinced that this is the future of VR: untethered, portable headsets with everything built-in. They’ll get smaller and more powerful, and everyone will jump onboard at some point. The immediacy of popping it on with basically no setup required is huge. It’s a very exciting time ^_^

• Upvote 7

These are a buggery-chuff to get hold off. Is anyone aware of a secret place that has stock? the usual culprits are all out of stock.

Played 1 hour of moonrider 2 days running now and loving it.  Really impressive for a browser game, and largely stutter free though I've had a couple of moments.

The hardware is really gorgeous, those controllers, and the tracking! 

Beat Saber is on my list but with a holiday in a week and a half, money isn't, so it'll have to wait. 

I was contemplating selling, but the convenience factor and freedom is so appealing, it's so easy to just stick it on your head and have a quick game of something, or similarly sit down and chill playing Bait for an hour. 

I guess my only gripe is the lack of titles for now anyway.  It feels every bit like the future is in my living room.

Incidentally, these fit pretty well into the Power A official PSVR case, maybe need a way to secure the controllers, but for a tenner via Argos on eBay I think it's a good budget solution..

727F264A-E1B1-4160-8DEC-4BAC8335A546.jpeg

1249F9D8-CFAD-4B2D-8D92-2842B3A56BCD.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, watusi said:

These are a buggery-chuff to get hold off. Is anyone aware of a secret place that has stock? the usual culprits are all out of stock.

The official Oculus site has them for sale. Ordered mine on Thursday and it arrived today. The website said it wouldn’t arrive until 5th June. Delivery by Yodel, if that’s a problem. Today they worked out quite well - delivery requires a signature, so they left it in the shed instead. 

Only just got got the darn thing out of the box. It’s late...but I think I’m going to switch it on now and emerge blinking and grinning in an hour or so. 

• Upvote 2

A lot of the hour was taken up with updates and setup but I boogied with a robot and fired a rocket into the air (and caught it on the way back down!). 

Played the demo of Beat Saber. Then bought the game straight away. That’s a fun game and no mistake. 

Surprised and amazed at how good it is for a stand-alone device. I’ll be sending out friend requests - I’m ‘mcbobin’. 

• Upvote 2