rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

I'll be keeping an eye on this, but for the time being at least, its 'Little Brother' the Oculus Go is a lovely little self-contained VR platform with quite an expansive software library that frequently has stuff on sale, so I'll stick with that for now.

14 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I wonder if Beat Saber will allow you to load community creations onto it?

While there is talk about this being cool for party play the lack of a social (screen obviously) makes this seem very much a solo experience.

you can "chromecast" it - whatever that means.

On 02/05/2019 at 13:52, Clipper said:

...So not compatible i.e. you cant use rift s controllers on rift - but basically the same.

20 hours ago, footle said:

The controllers don’t differ in layout, just in where the band goes, I though?

Sorry, my mistake...I watched the Valve Index video before this one and got them mixed up.  It's the new Index controllers that are quite different to the old Vive ones and they have some issues with compatibility for older games.  That vid is an interesting watch too!

3 hours ago, robdood said:

Oh that is excellent news, i'd been thinking the same as @Jarik

I only got that from various reviews/impressions - no real idea of what it means or limits so maybe check :-D 

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I only got that from various reviews/impressions - no real idea of what it means or limits so maybe check :-D 

Chromecast is OS-level screen mirroring in Android :)

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, robdood said:

Chromecast is OS-level screen mirroring in Android :)

Does it go to a normal tv or does it need a firestick or other dongle? 

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

Does it go to a normal tv or does it need a firestick or other dongle? 

You need a chromecast hdmi dongle or a compatible TV. 

1 hour ago, robdood said:

You need a chromecast hdmi dongle or a compatible TV. 

does it do amazon prime and netflix? if so - if cheap enough I might replace our firestick and it will do that and the Quest.

40 minutes ago, Clipper said:

does it do amazon prime and netflix? if so - if cheap enough I might replace our firestick and it will do that and the Quest.

A google Chromecast dongle is 30 quid (or 69 quid for a 4k one) it does Netflix but not Amazon Prime at the moment. Although as I understand it Amazon and Google has sorted out their spat which means a Amazon Prime is coming to chromecast (and youtube is returning to the firestick). It might also mean that Amazon will start selling the google dongle.

Looks great! Got my pre-order in at Amazon. Though a £100 premium for an extra 64GB is taking the piss!!

Actually I have a question (which might be dumb, I'm not sure). I hadn't really thought about how the VR image worked while using the PSVR, but having played around with the Labo VR, I wonder if I'm missing out because I can only see out of one eye? Does your brain take the two images, and make a sort of full resolution picture out if them? Am I seeing a fuzzier picture because only one of my eyes works properly? Is that a stupid question?

52 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Looks great! Got my pre-order in at Amazon. Though a £100 premium for an extra 64GB is taking the piss!!

Actually I have a question (which might be dumb, I'm not sure). I hadn't really thought about how the VR image worked while using the PSVR, but having played around with the Labo VR, I wonder if I'm missing out because I can only see out of one eye? Does your brain take the two images, and make a sort of full resolution picture out if them? Am I seeing a fuzzier picture because only one of my eyes works properly? Is that a stupid question?

One eye gets left, one eye gets right.

You’re missing out on stereoscopic viewing, but since you’re missing that anyway (sorry) you’re not missing anything that breaks the virtual reality spell when you’re in a 6 degrees of freedom headset - you move your head around (forwards, backwards, up down, left right, in various combinations) to get a three dimensional view of the world. This supports that.

Labo is different - it’s basically just not got enough resolution at all.

(more broadly, does the brain take two images from two eyes and reconstruct? Probably. But I don’t believe it’s something that the PC headsets really rely on other than to increase field of view, as in real life)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, robdood said:

Oh that is excellent news, i'd been thinking the same as @Jarik

You can also stream direct to a phone, so if you can hook your phone up to the TV via HDMI that should work too.

There's a lot of videos in my Youtube feed ATM of various people trying out the Quest & reporting on the experience, & one of the things i was unaware of is that you can define just how big the area you can move around in VR is, all the way from a narrow cylinder immediately around yourself to being able to 'paint' the boundaries of the VR area in the real world so you can move around more freely.

How does this work with the actual VR software though?  Do some experiences demand more room to move than others?

Some experiences do require more space. The first review posted in this thread goes into setting up the boundary areas. I believe it’s an OS level thing so it shows you the mesh if you get too close to it and fades in the pass through image. I suppose if you are playing a game that requires more space than you have you’ll end up seeing the mesh a lot, although if you don’t have enough space to play the game that’s better than smashing something.

6 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

Stuff like this is fantastic:

https://mobile.twitter.com/vr_oasis/status/1124371941345959936

(When you pass through the boundary grid, as set by you, it clearly shows that you've gone out of it, before switching to the external camera)

That is so cool. ^_^

Like I said, i'm happy with the Go for now, but i'm definitely keeping the Quest in my Amazon wishlist & when the time is right (lower price, bigger software library, Go starts feeling too limited or just 'ehhh...I've waited long enough') i'll definitely be jumping in. 

15 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

What are people’s thoughts on 128gb version vs the 64gb version. 100 quid premium seems a ridiculous amount. Just wonder what the size of the games will be in general.

Yep, seems to be a bit of a money spinner like the iPhone storage upgrades. According to the reviews, most games are around 500MB, with a few topping out at 2GB. 64GB will be fine for a decent collection of games one there at one time :)

there is a microsd slot but Ibelieve that is just for side loading so you'll have to manage the space used with 64gb - which is what I pl;umped for . £100 premuium for 64gb is taking the piss.

Ooh I wish I'd not seen this thread. 

Had no real interest but I've managed to suck myself in for this big time. Pre order incoming I reckon (once I can get the go ahead from the missus)

• Upvote 2

So does this enable you to take small steps around your area rather than PSVR which is pretty static? 

Have to say the idea of no wires is amazing. Does it use a rechargeable battery?

18 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

So does this enable you to take small steps around your area rather than PSVR which is pretty static? 

Have to say the idea of no wires is amazing. Does it use a rechargeable battery?

Pretty much, yeah. PS VR is great for stationary experiences (Astro Bot, WipEout, Statik etc), but as good as something like Superhot VR is, it does kind of fall apart with the camera and the wire, and the slightly whiffy tracking on the Move controllers. You don’t need to worry about facing the camera or getting twisted in the wire, which sounds perfect.

It has a battery inside, which lasts around 2 hours. It has a 15w charger included which fully charges it in 2 hours, which seems reasonable (I don’t think I’ve ever played VR for more than an hour at a time).

I just watched that video and it sounds pretty great. 

No way I could get away with it with my PSVR sitting there unloved though. 

I do think the lack of wires and needing to stand in front of my tv would lead to more play though. Seems so much easier to just put it on and get stuck in. 

Preordered the 64GB version from Amazon. Glad I haven’t got round to buying Moss on PSVR yet as that is at least one game I won’t end up buying twice. (Will definitely be picking up Superhot and Beat Saber again). It would 100% be worth it if Beat Saber could be modded to have extra tracks, but I’m guessing as it’s a curated store that won’t be possible.

6 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I’m looking at it as another platform, sort of like having a Switch and a PS4/Xbone. I’ll probably go PSVR for exclusives from now on and this for everything else because of ease of use (and portability). For me anyway our attic room is actually a much better space for VR but the PS4 is set up in the living room, with this I can just use what ever room suits at the time.

6 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I do think the lack of wires and needing to stand in front of my tv would lead to more play though. Seems so much easier to just put it on and get stuck in. 

I think I’d use my PS VR for different games/experiences, so I don’t think mine would be unloved as such. Obviously the exclusive Sony stuff, and the more graphically intense games that work well with a normal pad.

I can definitely see myself using it more than my PS VR though, just by being easier to setup. I know the PS VR only has one wire, but you need to turn on the console and the headset, get your controllers switched on and ready (and put them all in easy reach in case you want to switch games), pop the camera out, turn the TV on etc. It’s pretty much as easy as it could ever be, but still a bit too much sometimes.

The portability is the biggest draw for me. I love seeing people’s reactions who’ve never tried it before and so this enabling me to take it places really easily is a huge huge plus. 

• Upvote 4