rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

7 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Have you got them up at full volume (sorry if this sounds a really patronising question)? Mine are at about 80% volume and I'm finding them quite loud enough, although maybe that is because I have only played games where I'm not expecting to have huge explosions going off etc. I say this as someone who things that the volume limit on the PSVR headset through headphones is too quiet.

To be honest it's the thing I'm most impressed with about the unit. I knew all about the guardian system and how the inside out tracking was going to work (obviously seeing is believeing) before getting the unit but I never in my wildest dreams thought the audio was going to be as great as it is.

Yeah, volume at max, maybe I've got a bit of wax in my ears. It's loud enough, but I'm thinking I might like a touch more oomph for certain games.

11 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Holy SHIT this thing comes alive in the garden!!!!!!!!!!!

I just did a real life/virtual sideways roll over to a robot jumped up, grabbed him by the chest and pulled his head off :omg:

You can really go for it and throw yourself around. Fall to the floor and pick up a weapon to shoot up at baddies all that kind of amazing shit.

The tracking is absolutely fine at this time with the sun going down.

That sounds amazing. 

We’ve got the perfect rear garden for it I reckon. 40’ x 40’ and flat. We’ve not lived here too long though and I just don’t have the balls to risk one of the neighbours looking out of their window and seeing me prancing about shooting at imaginary robots. 

Maybe in a couple of months when it’s really taken off and become popular. 

• Upvote 3

I seem to be getting a few crackles/pops on the audio fairly frequently.  It sounds more like a software glitch rather than a hardware thing (if that makes any sense), is anybody else having similar?

I had it a couple of times during the introductory thing but not since then, been totally solid.

I've just been out in the garden to have a try and it's un-fucking-belivable. Playing Journey of the Gods and being able to walk around areas (only little bits obviously), but being able to actively move round the enemies etc. Also just the simplest things like actually turning round, as opposed to having to use a stick to shift your view. Just mind blowing.

Oh and I went with the suggestions about how to set the straps up and it is sooooo much more comfrotable, not PSVR comfortable but something I now won't mind wearing for long periods of time.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Oh and I went with the suggestions about how to set the straps up and it is sooooo much more comfrotable, not PSVR comfortable but something I now won't mind wearing for long periods of time.

That sounds a spot on setup like mine.

With that weight on front it wont be as comfy as PSVR

Well, this is a fucking astoundingly good bit of kit.

Managed to get a comfy fit using the straps method described above (which the app tells you during setup), and after about an hour wearing it have had no discomfort. The screen is brilliant, really sharp and bright, and way better than my comparatively fuzzier PSVR. FOV was fine too. The inbuilt audio was plenty loud enough for me. IPD slider didn’t feel like it was doing much, so left it in the middle.

The home area is fantastic, with intuitive menus. It was all as hassle free and seamless as advertised - a truly next-gen out-of-the-box experience.

Only played the intro robot thing (super cute), and the hand tracking is stunning.

And then I put on the Beat Saber demo...

Fuck me. Never played this before, but just the demo track has utterly blown me away. Played through it again and again, dancing round the room like Jedi kid, pulling moves, striking poses while never worrying about a trailing wire or hitting something, sporting a big grin, all while getting a ridiculous sweat on (definitely need the VRcover wipeable inserts to arrive soon lol). That game is a definite purchase, and will probably help me lose a few stone.

Quest is utterly freeing vs the comparative rigmarole of the PSVR. And I cannot fucking wait to try out the other stuff.

What an awesome birthday present. 51 my arse!

• Upvote 6

38 minutes ago, bridger said:

That sounds amazing. 

We’ve got the perfect rear garden for it I reckon. 40’ x 40’ and flat. We’ve not lived here too long though and I just don’t have the balls to risk one of the neighbours looking out of their window and seeing me prancing about shooting at imaginary robots. 

Maybe in a couple of months when it’s really taken off and become popular. 

Get out there. 

My garden is pretty small to be honest, but obviously way bigger than any room with furniture in it. The freedom to get around so much of the level with as good as faultless tracking in superhot is revelatory compared to the game on PSVR. I can actually see myself only playing it outside now. Going to bung Star Wars on in the living room when the light finally fades soon.

1 minute ago, Fatsam said:

Get out there. 

It’s too dark now. Will have a think about it tomorrow...weather dependent :P

Man the garden fun sounds amazing. I'm still pretty weary of VR nausea despite owning PSVR since launch and different iterations of GearVR since 2016, some games great, some not so much. 

Anyway I absolutely loved messing around in the back with a couple of games on GearVR and actually spent a few hot summer evenings on the lounger with beers and snacks watching a few blockbuster 3D films. Lovely way to cool down and catch a film.

Can only imagine how fun playing Superhot on a summer evening outside would be, and I imagine it would be great.

Thanks for the replies, I've just run it again and still seeming to get a few audio glitches, I think a better way to describe them is like the scratches and pops you get when playing a vinyl record.

I think I may see if a software update sorts it in the next day or so and if not try and return it.

Daaawwwww I'm loving everyone's enthusiasm. 

I just came up for air to post:

FUCKING HELL BEAT SABER 

Back later!

• Upvote 3

Would the back farmers field backing onto my back garden be OK for oculus? It's flat as fields go, which obviously isn't quite as flat as a lawn but if it was safe enough that I wouldn't smash the headset and my face in then I think it would be great in the night when I literally can't be seen by anyone. 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1556879545132.jpg_1556879551146.jpeg

• Upvote 4

I found Vader a little underwhelming - lots of "return to playspace" if you had temerity to walk out of the immediate vicinity. Atmosphere and sabre battles obvioudly top notch just as a VR gameplay experience was a little lacking.

I have marks on my forehead and cheeks from pads so I need to have the side straps looser - that position on back of head is the important one isn't it? The side straps shouldnt need to be tight at all.

back to it what to try next... superhot? don't mind if I do :D

It definitely needs some ambient light to work, but not direct sunlight. Sunlight stops the cameras tracking, but worse (supposedly) a direct sunbeam through the lenses will focus it on the screen like a magnifying glass on an ant and burn the panel. So says some YouTuber. Not worth the risk either way. Overcast or dusk outdoors only.

Very well produced, but there's not enough actual game in Vader for my liking. And, perhaps more importantly for an experience like this, there's simply not enough freedom to interact with the world either. At least in the bit I played before my battery went again. 

Fuck!  I might have to buy Journey of the Gods!! It's cuteaf.  It was definitely more juddery/glitchy than anything else I'd played though, wonder if that is improved in the game proper. 

I highly recommend everyone check the demo out out NOW.  It's only about 20-30 mins long.  

Interested in the accuracy of the Quest touch controllers? Fancy yourself at Beat Saber? This is the video for you:

Utterly stupendous on both fronts.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Very well produced, but there's not enough actual game in Vader for my liking. And, perhaps more importantly for an experience like this, there's simply not enough freedom to interact with the world either. At least in the bit I played before my battery went again. 

Hmmm i've just purchased this. Haven't played it yet. I may go straight for a refund. I'm reading lots of average comments. I know its a different type of mission/game  but is it better value than the Rogue One mission on PSVR (in SWBF) i paid £5 for that.

I also went for dead & buried 2. That seems like a janky mess unless it's me so that could be in the refund bucket. 

I may go for drop dead 2 as it looks like a decentish House of The Dead type game. 

Whats everyone else playing?

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Interested in the accuracy of the Quest touch controllers? Fancy yourself at Beat Saber? This is the video for you:

Utterly stupendous on both fronts.

Oh my god is that what Beat Saber gets like by the end?! :wub:

Erm, odd question. How do I turn the Quest off?

Wearing the headset, plugged in to recharge, I held the power button till the menu came up. I selected power off and it shut down. By the time I took it off it had switched itself back on again.

So took it off, unplugged it. I’ve tapped the power button, which puts the power side light and front light out. So I assumed that’s off, or is it standby? Either way, a while later it came back on seemingly of its own accord.

Am trying again and fingers crossed. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Found it buried in Oculus support site. 1. Headset on, do it through the menu (after power button hold). But don’t know why mine came back on, maybe I knocked the power button while putting it in the case - far too easy to do.

2. Headset off, hold the power button for a full 10 seconds. Seems to have done the trick.

Wow.... just come up for air, what an amazing device. It feels like a little piece of the future. 

Tracking is is pretty amazing considering there are no external boxes. And the controllers are great, not quite as good as the vives, but not far off. And night and day compared those pieces of garbage - PS moves.

i do get crackerling  in my speaker, usually on anything with any base (bear saber and Vader definitely had it). But it is so much better than I thought it would be.

just played the demo for Apollo - which a real surprise. Is the full game as good?