IGNORED

Willow - The TV Series

Harsin

I’ve always had a soft spot for Willow and don’t think it deserves the bad rap it got and continues to have. If it does make it to TV then they better keep the late James Horner’s great theme.

Fun fact, there was a Willow sequel novel.

220px-Shadow_Moon_(novel).jpg

I know because I bought the damn thing. George Lucas (remember this was before the prequels) and Chris Claremont of X-Men fame! How could it possibly be bad? It was of the most wretchedly awful novels I’ve ever read. They may have published more books in the series. I don’t know one was enough for me.

When a studio is starting up a new channel and is desperate for new content, any old shit gets green lit, apparently.

Sorry, but the only people who could think Willow was an '80's classic' must have been between the ages of 5 & 8 at the time of seeing it. For everyone else it was a mediocre, by the numbers fantasy movie that nobody took much notice of at the time.

Willow sits alongside The Goonies for me as one of those films that even now at the age of 37 I could watch on a loop and never get bored. Val Kilmers Madmartigan was and still is an absolute legendary character. As a child I thought his name was Mardigan and everyone just thought he was off his nut so called him Mad aswell. Hence my first and only gamertag all those years ago was created, as I had just finished watching Willow (again) and it jumped right out at at me. His full name was too long but the mistaken name I gave him as a kid, yeah that was perfect :lol:

So the film can do no wrong in my eyes but a TV show based no doubt loosely on that legendary world and characters, I have no idea how that would work.

”Mumbo, Jumbo, I am hungry... go get me some eggs or something!”

”We are NOT afraid of you!”

”NOW!!”

”AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!”

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Apologies if there's another thread for this:

This actually looks pretty good! I mean, it looks like it should be a fun ride with less of the recent shades of grey that seemingly all TV fantasy needs to do to prove it's for adult consumption.

Honestly, whilst I'm fine with higher brow fiction I'm equally happy for something to have goodies and baddies and a few cool monsters in the mix.

The only thing I worry about is that it takes itself too seriously. Part of the appeal of the original was the comedic aspect with Willow being completely out of his depth, only succeeding because he joined up with a memorable cast cast of side characters. Obviously he’s got older / wiser now but hopefully it’s still leaning toward not taking itself too seriously. 

12 hours ago, JoeK said:

Apologies if there's another thread for this:

This actually looks pretty good! I mean, it looks like it should be a fun ride with less of the recent shades of grey that seemingly all TV fantasy needs to do to prove it's for adult consumption.

Honestly, whilst I'm fine with higher brow fiction I'm equally happy for something to have goodies and baddies and a few cool monsters in the mix.

exactly - I want a programme with the fantasy of Game of Thrones or The Witcher but one I can watch with my kids without worrying about some sudden gratuitous shagging scene for no reason.

My Gamertag and online avatar has been based on the legendary Matmardigan since I first set up my Xbox profile all those years ago. As a kid and then growing up watching the movie over and and over and over I thought his name was Mad Mardigan because, well he is :) hence the shorter name I used. So yeah I’m kinda invested in this and think it looks fantastic.

They will never recreate the magic and chemistry that Kilmer and Davis had but I am confident this will be a worthy follow up to what is one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time!