rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Dan Dare 8 bit. Same licence, different games

This was mentioned in another thread, Dan Dare was rather interesting on the 8 bit machines due to every version playing to it's strengths.

Bazza does a comparison here

He should totally have looked at the C64 instructions first!

By default because of where I lived I had the C64 version and it was a great arcade adventure!

However the Spectrum version looked like a pretty fast and smooth run and gun. And the Amstrad looks like a tidy platformer.

Any others play this?

Here's a long play of the excellent C64 version

• Upvote 1

I love the C64 version, like Batman the Caped Crusader it evokes a real comic-book feel.

I did a Making of Dan Dare for Retro Gamer, covering all three 8-bit games.

• Upvote 3

It reminds me of Monty Mole - completely different games on the Spectrum and the C64, but when it came to the sequels, they followed the template of the Spectrum original.

I remember at the time people complaining that Dan Dare II on the C64 was completely different to the original, yet Dan Dare II on the Spectrum is very similar to Dan Dare 1. Dan Dare III on the other hand, was basically a David Perry special on the Spectrum - lots of colour and chunky graphics.

Even more strangely was that it was the same team, Gang of Five, that did both the Spectrum and C64 versions of Dan Dare 1. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

It reminds me of Monty Mole - completely different games on the Spectrum and the C64, but when it came to the sequels, they followed the template of the Spectrum original.

I remember at the time people complaining that Dan Dare II on the C64 was completely different to the original, yet Dan Dare II on the Spectrum is very similar to Dan Dare 1. Dan Dare III on the other hand, was basically a David Perry special on the Spectrum - lots of colour and chunky graphics.

Even more strangely was that it was the same team, Gang of Five, that did both the Spectrum and C64 versions of Dan Dare 1. 

Didn't even know about the 2 sequels!

• Upvote 1

Never finished it on the Commodore 64. The time limit was really tight; you had to know exactly what to do and where to go. Mess around for too long and you run out of time. I think I got to the Mekon once (after blowing off a door with a really complicated laser puzzle) but ran out of time just as I got there.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Adored the Speccy version but was always envious of the c64 version...yet years later when I finally played it I struggled with the puzzles and it felt really stiff. Odd though that they didn’t make the same game as sure the Speccy could have done the arcade adventure game - perhaps some one needs to convert it in a modern way?

DD2 looked great but was more of a shoot em up and some of the doors and magnet bits were a pain in the arse. Nice how you could play as either Dan or the Mekon either killing treen babies or launching them.

DD3 started life as a completely different game didn’t it - remember it previewed in Your Sinclair, something about being trapped on a planet and collecting petrol? Odd then that this was reskinned as a DD game, then had to be converted to other formats.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, luth714 said:

Adored the Speccy version but was always envious of the c64 version...yet years later when I finally played it I struggled with the puzzles and it felt really stiff. Odd though that they didn’t make the same game as sure the Speccy could have done the arcade adventure game - perhaps some one needs to convert it in a modern way?

DD2 looked great but was more of a shoot em up and some of the doors and magnet bits were a pain in the arse. Nice how you could play as either Dan or the Mekon either killing treen babies or launching them.

DD3 started life as a completely different game didn’t it - remember it previewed in Your Sinclair, something about being trapped on a planet and collecting petrol? Odd then that this was reskinned as a DD game, then had to be converted to other formats.

Yeah it started life as Crazy Jet Racer. If you look at the sprite on the 3D tunnel sections you can still see the wheel dangling down between Dans legs.

• Upvote 2

I loved the C64 version too, I might be going mad but I seem to remember diagonal down back on the joystick and fire lobbed a grenade...well I guess you only had one button :D

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, merrychan said:

I loved the C64 version too, I might be going mad but I seem to remember diagonal down back on the joystick and fire lobbed a grenade...well I guess you only had one button :D

Programmer Andy Green wanted to get as many commands as he could onto the joystick, spent a lot of time refining the method. 

• Upvote 2