rllmuk
simms

Valve Index VR HMD and VR controllers (tech specs and prices in the first post)

There is going to be an announcement by Valve on 1st May 2019 regarding their new in house VR HMD and VR controllers.  The actual release is said to be in June this year.  Specs and details are unknown at this point as well as software that may be released. Rumours are that the software will be in-house Valve software.

1743221139_valveindexdownload.jpg.ceae87c3f4b0a715e1733416cbe1c157.jpg

The HMD:

valve-index-headset-render-high-res.thumb.jpg.7414990081922e63a47be92f8a8dffb7.jpg

The controllers:

Knuckles-EV3-1024x572.thumb.jpg.e1209294698180b353c0fef19b0ce890.jpg

Tech Specs:

Displays
Dual 1440 x 1600 LCDs, full RGB per pixel, ultra-low persistence global backlight illumination (0.330ms at 144Hz)

Framerate
80/90/120/144Hz

Optics
Double element, canted lens design

Field of View (FOV)
Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive

Inter-pupillary Distance (IPD)
58mm - 70mm range physical adjustment

Ergonomic Adjustments
Head size, eye relief (FOV), IPD, speaker positions. Rear cradle adapter included.

Connections
5m tether, 1m breakaway trident connector. USB 3.0, DisplayPort 1.2, 12V power

Tracking
SteamVR 2.0 sensors, compatible with SteamVR 1.0 and 2.0 base stations

Audio
Built-in: 37.5mm off-ear Balanced Mode Radiators (BMR), Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24KHz, Impedance: 6 Ohm, SPL: 98.96 dBSPL at 1cm.

Aux Headphone Out 3.5mm

Microphone
Dual Microphone Array, Frequency response: 20Hz – 24kHz, Sensitivity: -25dBFS/Pa @ 1kHz

Cameras
Stereo 960 x 960 pixel, global shutter, RGB (Bayer)

Prices:

VALVE INDEX VR KIT

Includes Headset, Controllers, and two Base Stations.
Requires a PC. - £919.00

FOR PEOPLE WITH BASE STATIONS
VALVE INDEX HEADSET + CONTROLLERS

Includes Headset and Controllers.
Requires Base Stations and PC. - £689.00

FOR PEOPLE
WITH VIVE OR VIVE PRO
VALVE INDEX HEADSET

Includes Headset.
Requires Controllers, Base Stations, and PC. - £459.00

FOR PEOPLE
WITH VIVE OR VIVE PRO
VALVE INDEX CONTROLLERS

Includes two Controllers.
Requires Vive, Vive Pro, or Valve Index Headset, Base Stations, and PC. - £259.00

FOR PEOPLE
WITH VIVE PRO
VALVE INDEX BASE STATION

Includes one Base Station.
Requires Vive Pro or Valve Index Headset, Controllers, and PC. - £139.00

Release date:

Up for pre-order - Ships by 28 Jun, 2019

It’ll be as big a success as Steam machines and their controller.

I wish they’d stop pissing about and just make some decent games again.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, JPL said:

It’ll be as big a success as Steam machines and their controller.

I wish they’d stop pissing about and just make some decent games again.

Steam machines was a misstep but Steam controller are relatively successful in comparison.  The Steam controller is the most versatile controller ever with some great features.

The VR games they release with this headset and controller could be great.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LeighCb said:

Labo VR makes you look like less of a giant node than spinning around with that shit.

Why does it have four handles?

It straps on to your hand so you can open your palm and emulate throwing or picking up objects in-game. 

2118274194_pastedimage0.thumb.png.d31cb1f6e8ffb99a55c557ef82f62907.png

The controller also tracks your fingers:

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, simms said:

Steam machines was a misstep but Steam controller are relatively successful in comparison.  The Steam controller is the most versatile controller ever with some great features.

The VR games they release with this headset and controller could be great.

I dunno, they just seem to be throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks these days.

They lost me when they decided to drop the people who got them to where they are. Just make some good games again and they can happily carry on with these follies.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Naieve said:

Knuckles :lol: 

do they only know the position of your fingers when you look down or are there sensor things in the handles to measure the grip?

Yes the controller was initially dubbed Knuckles but recently has been renamed the index controllers to align with the headset name.

The controller has sensors within so is independent of where your look.

And all the buttons are capacitive, so they can tell whether you've got your finger over them or not.

Bit expensive when the only impact of that is "can flip people off in-game" though.

The idea too is they require no gripping- if you "Hold" an object with the Rift etc then let go you still have to grip the controller. With this you can open all your fingers when dropping a virtual item while not dropping the controller, making the disconnect less obvious.

Dunno how well this works, Ill be getting a unit soon so will probably find out in the next week or so.

• Upvote 2

Hmm, I've got some concerns about the reliability of those straps. Giving the sensation of fully opening the hand is great and all, but I think it's going to lead to a few broken/flung controllers when the straps haven't been properly fixed. On paper, I think I prefer the touch controller approach: the grip/release control there is basically fine even with having to grip the bottom of the handle. Would have to see if it feels different in-game.

Edit: fantastic for industrial applications though..

With hardware Steam is a bit Google to me nowadays. Given how much hardware shit they've thrown at the wall over the years, I can't help but think that they will completely abandon index VR in a few years too. When it either underperforms, or it does well but not well enough, or ot does great but the people working on it get bored/distracted and roll their desks over to a different office to make an idle clicker game with hats instead.

Aye, if there's one thing that Oculus have done quite (though not perfectly) well it's creating an ecosystem. Encouraging devs to enable cross buy between quest and rift apps/games was a good move. 

How is that good? This idea that they're all separate platforms so that games don't crossover and you have to rebuy things is just bizarre, fragmentation of an already small platform.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

How is that good? This idea that they're all separate platforms so that games don't crossover and you have to rebuy things is just bizarre, fragmentation of an already small platform.

What part of "encouraging cross-buy" did you not understand?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Quest and Rift games are running on genuinely different hardware (the quest is android based) so it's definitely a positive that they've encouraged cross buy between them. Yes, it'd be nicer if the two main platforms - at least - would play nice with each other.

The problem with something like the knuckles controller is that any games built with the five-finger gestures in mind will have compatibility issues with other hardware, unless they've built workarounds into the dev tools (again, the oculus dev kit is does well with compatibility between different pieces of oculus; I dunno about the valve stuff). 

5 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

The problem with something like the knuckles controller is that any games built with the five-finger gestures in mind will have compatibility issues with other hardware, unless they've built workarounds into the dev tools (again, the oculus dev kit is does well with compatibility between different pieces of oculus; I dunno about the valve stuff). 

The developer of the Boneworks game is ensuring compatibility in their game across all PC VR hardware.  

I do wonder if games made with the knuckles controller in mind will be handicapped by having to accommodate other hardware.

The Boneworks stuff looks very interesting..
Yup Oculus could probably make it a non-issue but it would take development time and therefore costs. Unless there is something similar in their development pipeline, I cant see them supporting this - unless it takes off big time, of course.

If this has a premium price it’ll never gain any traction. PSVR is far and away the best selling proper VR product followed by Oculus and then Vive. Obviously they are cheapest through to dearest. The market for very expensive VR headsets etc is niche to say the least. I’d suggest the one to watch for this year is the Oculus Quest. A Rift like experience that isn’t too prohibitively expensive and requires no PC is fascinating.

4 hours ago, Masu said:

The idea too is they require no gripping- if you "Hold" an object with the Rift etc then let go you still have to grip the controller. With this you can open all your fingers when dropping a virtual item while not dropping the controller, making the disconnect less obvious.

That could be pretty good for Superhot actually; I play that on PSVR and flinging things often feels daft. :) 

1 hour ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

If this has a premium price it’ll never gain any traction. PSVR is far and away the best selling proper VR product followed by Oculus and then Vive. Obviously they are cheapest through to dearest. The market for very expensive VR headsets etc is niche to say the least. I’d suggest the one to watch for this year is the Oculus Quest. A Rift like experience that isn’t too prohibitively expensive and requires no PC is fascinating.

I don’t think the Index is positioning for mass market.  But it depends on the specs so all will be revealed in a couple of days time.  I’m most excited for the software that will be released alongside this device that will make use of the controller in interesting ways.  There’s hope for a return to form for Valve.  Rumours are that a VR half life game is ready to drop.  Watch this space.

21 hours ago, simms said:

Rumours are that the software will be in-house Valve software.

It ain't a fucking rumour, they said ages ago in Valve Time that they are making 3 full VR games to work with the announced at the time knuckles controller.

Valve is in the process of developing three VR games. And these won't just be small free VR experiments, either.

"Right now we're building three VR games," Valve founder Gabe Newell confirmed to Eurogamer during a media roundtable at the studio's Bellevue, Washington office.

"When I say we're building three games, we're building three full games, not experiments," he later clarified when asked about Valve's free HTC Vive prototype The Lab.

While Newell wouldn't say anything about the games themselves, he did note that they're being built in both Source 2 and Unity.

"One of the questions you might be asking is 'Why in the world would you be making hardware?'" Newell continued. "What we can do now is we can be designing hardware at the same time that we're designing software."

"This is something that Miyamoto has always had. He's had the ability to think about what the input device is and design a system while he designs games. Our sense is that this will actually allow us to build much better entertainment experiences for people."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-making-three-fully-fledged-vr-games

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

I would be so bummed out if all those turned out to be VR games

True. I’d rather see them in some incarnation than not at all though.

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

It ain't a fucking rumour, they said ages ago in Valve Time that they are making 3 full VR games to work with the announced at the time knuckles controller.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-making-three-fully-fledged-vr-games

My apologies, I meant to say in addition to that the rumored games are Half Lift, L4D and one other game.