Football Kits 2019/20

I'm still incredulous that so many people bought the obvious lie.  Clearly it's a brilliant bit of marketing as it's caused such a splash in just a few days, the Irish bookies who love the bants get a ton of publicity for a short term deal Huddersfield probably double their shirt sales next season because of some manufactured good will.  I'm pretty sure the lack of a main sponsor is less of a political stance and more about them being unable to secure a deal they deem to be acceptable, but it's been handled brilliantly if this is the outcome.  

I'm sure we will now see a ton of copycat campaigns played out to diminishing returns.  

6 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

Quite smart bit of marketing from PP in the end, then! 

Yeah, it's brilliant work from their perspective really. They've totally tied me in knots, anyway.

We've been their performing monkey (which was, and still is, my main issue with it) and held up as a bad example in the papers, on BBC Breakfast, by MPs etc. and I doubt two days later the actual reveal will get anything like the same amount of attention so perhaps some damage has already been done as far as the club's image goes. But it's brought that same attention to excessive gambling sponsorship which is good. But in the process we've done a better job of advertising a specific bookie than pretty much any other club. I think I'm going to have to settle on 'conflicted'.

6 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I'm pretty sure the lack of a main sponsor is less of a political stance and more about them being unable to secure a deal they deem to be acceptable, but it's been handled brilliantly if this is the outcome. 

They're still technically sponsoring us as far as anyone knows, it's supposedly the most lucrative deal we've had outside the Premier League (which it should be really, after two years up there).

It's obviously not going to be a moral stance though, I'm sure we'll be back to a visible sponsor before long and they've already had more attention than they would've if they'd purely been on the shirts for a few Sky games a season. Plus they've managed to put a bit of pressure on the sponsorship of other companies moving in on their territory from abroad or whatever.

Doubtless we'll be in for more 'bants' as part of the deal as well.

• Upvote 4

Slightly tangential, but Villa are sponsored by a bookies and it seems sponsorless shirts are available directly from Kappa (the manufacturer) but only if you don't mind paying in Euros and you don't mind it being €110. :blink:

I know the price of merch has gone up a lot in recent seasons but how many takers will there be at that price? Villa have moderate name recognition globally but I think the overwhelming majority of their shirt sales are to Aston Villa supporters in the UK. I wonder if this move is just so there technically is an answer to the question the club will inevitably be asked every time they are being sponsored by a business which is considered a vice? 

19 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Seeing as it was Paddy Power involved, we should have known from the start.

I think we all knew it was a con.

But the fact the end result is not a normal sponsored shirt but a blank one both makes it a better joke but also much easier to forgive the original thing since they "deserve" to get a years worth of exposure from it.

The non sponsored kit does look nice, I thought what they would do is leave the white stripe on the kit but blank so everyone knew who the sponsor was even if it wasn't displayed on the strip.

11 hours ago, Moodmon said:

West Brom away kit.  Classic yellow and green, and they even changed the badge and sponsor colours.  Might even pick up a shirt for once.

D_Gj8hsX4AA4y7c?format=jpg&name=large

About time too. 

I’ve always liked the baggies in this kit and was just thinking the other day it was about time they went back to it. Yellow shorts instead of green is a nice change as well. 

On 20/07/2019 at 09:07, Dudley said:

I think we all knew it was a con.

But the fact the end result is not a normal sponsored shirt but a blank one both makes it a better joke but also much easier to forgive the original thing since they "deserve" to get a years worth of exposure from it.

And all it took was removing the clubs dignity.

I know the band is in line with their historical kits but that home shirt still just looks like the sponsor came off in the wash after a lifetime of being conditioned to see one.

Our charity auctions are up to £20k with four days left. Mentally trying hard to spin it that we've just made ourselves look daft specifically for this good cause, like a middle-aged man going down a zipline in Spongebob fancy dress or something.

3 hours ago, wullie said:

Paddy Power are also now sponsoring the mighty Well, with the bonus that they aren't being forced to dance around for it. Sorely tempted by that home shirt

That away kit could just as easily be a Roma one, very snazzy. 

On 17/07/2019 at 15:57, Rev said:

Wednesday in non-video format. I’m going on the record saying both kits are great.

AD0E2771-DFA0-4446-A7EC-71F8FC3A482A.thumb.jpeg.fc090ef6be7d3d5a115e0707359f4aa7.jpeg

Disappointingly the away kit doesn’t look as good in real life. It’s a much darker green than it seems there and becomes very much Traditional Goalkeeper Shirt.

The home one is still great though. So that’s good. And apparently they’ve sorted out the sizing so I could buy an XL rather than either the 3 or 4 XL I needed in a previous season.

• Upvote 1

Why the daft massive circle around the maple leaf? Just put a thin white border around the leaf to make it stand out... 

Motherwell's away is smart. Hopefully a few other clubs offer sponsorship free shirts in time, even if it takes a publicity stunt to do so.

• Upvote 2