rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Revival

Football Kits 2019/20

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

It'd have to be pretty bad to be the worst we've ever had!!  Remember Burrda?  The one we had in the Solbakken/Saunders season which was a horrible fit, blue and red sponsor, collar that felt like paper and was launched with the Wolves head on upside down?

Last year's was definitely one of the very best though.

Genuinely think so on current evidence. We'll see.

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Villa had the colours first. Burnley adopted the colours because at the time Villa were the dominant club in the country. West Ham supposedly have the colours after a coach won a bet against a Villa player that saw them get a set of kits and they just kept it since. I'd guess Scunthorpe have a similar story to Burnley.

Why Villa chose claret and blue in the first place is more open to discussion. The club didn't always wear the colours. I believe the first kit was black for instance, and over the years the exact shade of claret and blue changed - originally the claret was closer to a chocolate brown. The switch happened a few years later. The most common stories behind the colours were that they were chosen to reflect the colours of Hearts and Rangers, as the club had a strong Scottish connection with William McGregor and so on. The other story I know is that the tiles of a pub local to the club at the time, the Crown iirc, had tiles in the colours and the chairman liked the combination so went for it.

The Scottish connection is possibly more likely given the lion rampant on the badge as well, which has been part of the club's badge even prior to the colours.

Thinking about it, Palace also used to wear claret and blue because they sought advice from Villa when they first were established and got given some kits. They then kept the colours even when switching around the design until they ended up going to full on red and blue (a Barcelona connection I guess?).

If nothing else, Villa were bloody influential in the early days of football. Probably helps that we were also the biggest club around at the time.

These stories are really interesting.  I grew up with the belief that Arsenal received their first kit from Nottingham Forest, but that has recently been debunked by research through the contemporary local papers.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, would be good to see more clubs do that, Villa had Acorns a while back, but it just won't happen often as it would mean turning too much income down.

Maybe we'd see it more if these gambaling companies were all banned.

5 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Kappa and a big dirty online bookies. Proper underclass :lol: 

edit: ManBetX  :lol:

It's Puma...

Underclass is fair though.

On 09/07/2019 at 12:25, Scruff said:

We still look the best in them :D 

On 09/07/2019 at 12:56, Naysonymous said:

I disagree. :ph34r:

Obviously, you're both wrong.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Rsdio said:

At least the real 'always just about last releasing a kit' title holders now have a sponsor :facepalm:

:(

Commiserations. I really don't know what they are going for there. Arseholes.

18 PL kits announced so far (sorry to rub it in).

Watford and Spurs still in the race. In my opinion Watford are always the REAL real last team, but I'm biased. ;)

On 09/07/2019 at 18:37, Mike1812 said:

Leeds home

999340059_Screenshot_20190709-1835592.thumb.jpg.e53b4b81e25809b718387bb2c54c5b03.jpg

Standard. 

Pie eating Yorkshiremen will look interesting in that skin tight shirt. Hopefully, the away kit will be a bit more roomy.

That Roma shirt looks like an MLS kit.

1 hour ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Commiserations. I really don't know what they are going for there. Arseholes.

As much as their use of laddish humour to make betting seem like a bit of harmless fun rubs me the wrong way I don't really mind them taking the piss, Town fans take the piss out of Town all the time. If anything it's been quite funny in this case to see our more gammon-y element froth at the mouth about the 'disrespect'.

From a commercial perpective it's probably the biggest, most visible sponsor we've had since Panasonic but it's still fucking depressing. We had a betting company in the PL too but as they had basically no presence here it felt kind of abstract somehow.

Also, blue and green should never be seen.

5 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Watford and Spurs still in the race. In my opinion Watford are always the REAL real last team, but I'm biased. ;)

Unless Watford launch their new kit tomorrow, Spurs will be out of the race, as it'll be this Thursday when it's out (the new purple training kit is already out, suggesting an imminent kit launch).

1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

Unless Watford launch their new kit tomorrow, Spurs will be out of the race, as it'll be this Thursday when it's out (the new purple training kit is already out, suggesting an imminent kit launch).

Weirdly Watford posted a distorted 'teaser' today (with a release date of 26/7) which suggests it will probably be the half and half design which was briefly leaked at the end of March before a cover-up April Fool's attempt was released by the club, this time with a diamond design. Clearly I was suckered in as I thought they were both too shit to be true.

1853704914_Screen-Shot-2019-03-25-at-13_28.45(1).png.fccb38bbefd7dde99bce3d72ae789463.png

Different I guess. And at least we won't have so many clashes with the striped teams. 

17 hours ago, mirodo said:

Great reveal, awesome kit.

Love that new home shirt. Nod to the glory days of the early 90’s with the pattern in the stripes. Would love it to stay sponsor free.