Football Kits 2019/20

Revival

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

bit meh.

Home shirt is great though.

Here's another shot:

1384707500_spursaway.thumb.jpg.0dc6aefb203eadca7ae45816fa821cb2.jpg

For me it reminds me of the 86/87 away (I think that was the season).

But yeah I like the (purported) home shirt too.

I’m very much in the yellow away shirt fan club but most Villa fans seem to prefer white.  Hard to tell from that photo but I think it looks like a nod to the late 80s kit Martin Keown is sporting earlier in this thread or the 2009/10 one which Nike made. I really liked both of those. Again, I won’t buy it as it’s got a bookies on the front but I guess the kids sizes will be sponsor free as I think there are regulations against having vices on kids tops so I’ll get one for the lad. 

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

Why is the McLaren F1 pyramid scheme shirt sponsoring football too?

Huski? Apparently the bloke that owns the company heard about Roy Larner screaming “fuck you I’m Millwall” at the terrorists during the London Bridge attack, read up on us and wanted to go to a match. Since then he’s been going regularly, owns a box and loves it.

by the sound of it this is the first step towards a full on take-over of the club.

Villa home. The unveil is a bit meta, but some fan took picture of Tyrone Mings in his full Villa kit at Bournemouth station on the day after the playoff final and it became something of a meme on Villa social media for a while.  The loan deal for Mings was made permanent today and I guess as Witton station is practically next door to Villa Park they decided to have a bit of fun recreating it.  

Screenshot_20190708-223141_Instagram.jpg

Spoiler

yXaMvcM.jpg

18 hours ago, elmo said:

Huski? Apparently the bloke that owns the company heard about Roy Larner screaming “fuck you I’m Millwall” at the terrorists during the London Bridge attack, read up on us and wanted to go to a match. Since then he’s been going regularly, owns a box and loves it.

by the sound of it this is the first step towards a full on take-over of the club.

I've never seen any evidence of them having any actual product outside of the McLaren Technology Centre tbh.  Like an even more "Rich Energy" if you've seen that nonsense.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I've never seen any evidence of them having any actual product outside of the McLaren Technology Centre tbh.  Like an even more "Rich Energy" if you've seen that nonsense.

Apparently they provide commercial chocolate. The type you see at hotels with the hotel name on it etc. Not sure how true that is or not. They're bringing a chocolate drink to the UK, they had a taster trial at The Den last season.

12 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Villa home. The unveil is a bit meta, but some fan took picture of Tyrone Mings in his full Villa kit at Bournemouth station on the day after the playoff final and it became something of a meme on Villa social media for a while.  The loan deal for Mings was made permanent today and I guess as Witton station is practically next door to Villa Park they decided to have a bit of fun recreating it.  

Screenshot_20190708-223141_Instagram.jpg

Hide contents

yXaMvcM.jpg

Actually thinking of it, a good way to reveal a kit would be to get some random bloke to wear the full new kit and walk about a high street for a while. People will obviously take photos and let social media do the rest.

2 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Aston Villa were playing in claret shirts with sky blue sleeves before West Ham were even founded. :P

I was going to add the caveat that your lot were in them first, but I knew you'd be in here telling me ;) 

We still look the best in them :D 

57 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

I disagree. :ph34r:

That emoji works a treat with the new night theme..

Anyone know why claret + blue became such a popular combo in the early days of football?  Villa, Burnley, and both "irons", possibly more.  Racing colours maybe?

2 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Oh god I think I hate this season's colour.

For the first time I think we might get relegated this season.

#nunout

A lot of unhappy fans have received their shirts today and don't like the colour!

It does seem a bit daft to follow last season's which was universally praised.  I'll await the delivery of mine before I pass verdict because I know it can often look different in the flesh compared to on photos.

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

A lot of unhappy fans have received their shirts today and don't like the colour!

It does seem a bit daft to follow last season's which was universally praised.  I'll await the delivery of mine before I pass verdict because I know it can often look different in the flesh compared to on photos.

Last season's kit was probably the best we've ever had, this season looks to be the worst.

Like you I'll wait until mine comes, but I expect to be returning it.

11 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Last season's kit was probably the best we've ever had, this season looks to be the worst.

Like you I'll wait until mine comes, but I expect to be returning it.

It'd have to be pretty bad to be the worst we've ever had!!  Remember Burrda?  The one we had in the Solbakken/Saunders season which was a horrible fit, blue and red sponsor, collar that felt like paper and was launched with the Wolves head on upside down?

Last year's was definitely one of the very best though.

22 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

That emoji works a treat with the new night theme..

Anyone know why claret + blue became such a popular combo in the early days of football?  Villa, Burnley, and both "irons", possibly more.  Racing colours maybe?

Villa had the colours first. Burnley adopted the colours because at the time Villa were the dominant club in the country. West Ham supposedly have the colours after a coach won a bet against a Villa player that saw them get a set of kits and they just kept it since. I'd guess Scunthorpe have a similar story to Burnley.

Why Villa chose claret and blue in the first place is more open to discussion. The club didn't always wear the colours. I believe the first kit was black for instance, and over the years the exact shade of claret and blue changed - originally the claret was closer to a chocolate brown. The switch happened a few years later. The most common stories behind the colours were that they were chosen to reflect the colours of Hearts and Rangers, as the club had a strong Scottish connection with William McGregor and so on. The other story I know is that the tiles of a pub local to the club at the time, the Crown iirc, had tiles in the colours and the chairman liked the combination so went for it.

The Scottish connection is possibly more likely given the lion rampant on the badge as well, which has been part of the club's badge even prior to the colours.