Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

42 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Just watched this again on Disney+ and easily up to about 25 viewings now but this time I noticed something new, beautiful and incredibly important.

When Tony meets his Dad he says something to Tony that put a lump in my throat. Howard is talking about hoping his baby that is due is a girl, because a boy could potentially turn out like him which he wouldn’t want and he says “because rarely has the greater good came before my own self interests” :(

There are lots of little things sprinkled throughout that touch on Tony’s sacrifice and that play a part in what he ends up doing but I can’t believe I never picked this up before.

Anway, this fucking movie :wub:

I caught that first time- it's a recurring topic through the Avengers and Iron Man movies.

1 hour ago, drmick said:

I caught that first time- it's a recurring topic through the Avengers and Iron Man movies.

Yeah I know it goes right back to the first Avengers movie where Cap taunts Tony about not being the guy to make the sacrifice play and there being lots of other things, but I just never picked up this very specific and quite emotional moment with Tony and Howard.

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/04/2020 at 04:11, Treble said:

We don't know, and I think it's mainly down to how Marvel deal with having the Fantastic 4 and X-Men back, and how they'll integrate them. 

For me (and most others I suspect), the two best villains in the entire Marvel universe are Doctor Doom from the former, and Magneto from the latter. Problem is, both have been plundered in recent years for shit films and Feige might be wise to put them on hold and go with something else. 

I'm hoping we'll not just get the same old stuff, at least for a decade or so. Thanos was a fantastic choice - bit of an edge case - and they'd be wise to buff Dormammu, Kang, Sinister, Galactus, Super Skrull or any number of decent antagonists before dipping back into the bran tub of regulars like Apocalypse or (god forbid) the Phoenix entity :rolleyes:

Doctor Doom and Magneto are both more anti-heroes though, aren't they? And so for that reason I'm not sure how you incorporate them as a big bad over a series of films (unless they scrap any redemption for them - though that would be against their general character).

I've just finished watching this again after re-watching Infinity War on Sunday night and they are both very good films, though I still prefer IW overall. I guess part of that is because there's a sense of sadness that things ended, but also because it had a greater sense of urgency about it and whilst the whole time heist stuff in Endgame was well done, I didn't find that quite as engaging.

Obviously this had the best moment of the whole series.

It'll certainly be interesting to see who will form the next 'core' Avengers and whether they can re-create their own dynamic to complement - not copy - the original group.

Also, something I've only just really thought about - was this also the end of the Hulk now too?

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Also, something I've only just really thought about - was this also the end of the Hulk now too?

See, the issue with standalone Hulk films, at least the ones they've done thus far, is that the audience spends the whole film wanting to see the Hulk smash shit, but the main character who we're supposed to be rooting for, Bruce Banner, spends the whole actively trying to stop us seeing what we came for. It's why Hulk works best in an ensemble movie rather than alone. 

Now that Bruce and the Hulk are joined into Smart Hulk and seem happy with that, however, the prospect of a standalone film is much stronger and more appealing. 

35 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Now that Bruce and the Hulk are joined into Smart Hulk and seem happy with that, however, the prospect of a standalone film is much stronger and more appealing. 

True but a standalone Hulk film is never going to happen due to licensing bollocks.

If they make a solo Hulk film then they have to pay Universal, if he's part of an ensemble then they don't.

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

He's not dead, he just has a hurt arm. 

Also the Professor Hulk union of Hulk & Banner can easily become a conflict again, as it has done in the comics. 

17 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

He's not dead, he just has a hurt arm. 

Also the Professor Hulk union of Hulk & Banner can easily become a conflict again, as it has done in the comics. 

Yeah, I know he's still around but I meant in practical terms where does the character go now? I agree with @Doctor Shark that the character just doesn't really work that well on his own, but as an ensemble he can have a place. Is his arm busted for good? Will people want to see him as Professor Hulk if he can't smash? What role would he play (resident smart guy now that Stark is gone I suppose if Reed Richards doesn't come into the group)?

If his arm does heal, would people want to go back to the central conceit of Hulk/Banner at war with each other?

Why couldn't Strange just reverse the damage to Tony the same way Thanos did to Vision?

And couldn't they just go back in time and take a Black Widow from the past, to bring into their future? Somebody else then gets to jump off the cliff in that new timeline.

• 3 months later...

Just watching this again whilst marking literature reviews at home, and the On your left moment still gets me.#

However, there are two Thanos moments that I also really love. Just after Cap picks up the Hammer and Thor says, "I knew it!", the way Thanos just boots him in the face makes me laugh every time. He's dead happy with Cap picking up the hammer than massive boot square in the face. It's so good.

Also, when The Scarlet Witch confronts Thanos and says he took everything from her. His response of, "I don't even know who you are," in a mixture of bemusement and annoyance is excellently delivered.

Let's face it. This film is still fucking brilliant.

2 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Let's face it. This film is still fucking brilliant.

It really is.  I've just bought it again in 4K to go with my new PS5 and TV, and really can't wait to watch it again.  I've seen it loads of times now, and I just never tire of it.

23 minutes ago, squirtle said:

.Also, when The Scarlet Witch confronts Thanos and says he took everything from her. His response of, "I don't even know who you are," in a mixture of bemusement and annoyance is excellently delivered.

As I remarked to a friend after watching, it really pleased me to see Thanos do his best M. Bison approximation.