rllmuk
JPL

Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

I’m at page 11 here and working my way through, but I just have to say I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the biggest plot contrivance as I saw it, which was - the whole thing could have been sorted out much more easily if the events of the movie hadn’t taken place on Captain Marvel’s day off. 

Putting to one side the convenience for plot purposes, it did feel like the promise of Captain Marvel as a character and as a part of the storyline in this movie was not fulfilled. In the post credits scene of Infinity War the promise of Marvel as the  saviour was made, when Nick Fury put out the call to her. We then got a whole movie, which was enjoyable in its own right, which teased us on her powers and set expectations; we know she’s coming to save the day in Endgame and we know what she’s capable of. 

In the end, though, the plot was contrived to have her just show up and smash Thanos’ ship at the very end. Yes, they couldn’t have done it without her, and she helped to stop Thanos wear the gauntlet before he twatyed her away... but it was a real shame that was all we got, when there was so much potential for her to play a bigger part. But I get it, she’s just ridiculously powerful and it would have been hard to work her into an enjoyable story that had enough threat and tension without resorting to even more derisory contrivances to hold back her powers, etc. 

All that being said - loved it loved it loved it! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie that really managed to successfully and satisfactorily tie together such complex plot strands. The chances of making such a great success of the MCU conclusion must have been 1 in 14 million, but they did it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Also Captain Marvel came across as a massive arsehole in this film - probably because it was filmed before the Cap M movie. 

• Upvote 2

I got the impression from the hologram call that Marvel usually wasn’t in touch, so it’s not exactly a coincidence that it all went down while she was unreachable. And they showed in the finale that powerful as she is, she’s not an instant win.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

That felt the right decision to me. We’d had ten years to get to know the characters and craft a storyline, and to have them all be irrelevant because of someone introduced a month ago would have been doing them and the audience a disservice. 

And this is definitely a movie about not giving the audience what they expect. At least until the half-hour-long victory lap at the end.

3 hours ago, Mortis said:

Also Captain Marvel came across as a massive arsehole in this film - probably because it was filmed before the Cap M movie. 

She’s feisty.

you only think she’s and arsehole because you are a man.

she’s just a strong women

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 13

No it’s because she didn’t even appear to be the same person as she was in the standalone movie. 

A classic case of an actor not knowing the role yet. 

• Upvote 2

That's the haircut that she has in the comics.

Marvel didnt come across as an arsehole to me, just that she's confident in her abilities in the film, hence she knows she can probably kick Thanos' arse (which she almost does in both their fights). They even put a small scene in after Thanos' ship gets totalled where it switches to show Thano's face right after the event, and the guy looks pretty devastated, as if he knows everything is stacked against him from that point on.

Just seen it and loved it; especially the more character orientated first third.

How did Strange and the gang suddenly turnup through the portals though. I know they came  back from Hulk snap but how did they get organised and know where to go?

3 minutes ago, macosx said:

Just seen it and loved it; especially the more character orientated first third.

How did Strange and the gang suddenly turnup through the portals though. I know they came  back from Hulk snap but how did they get organised and know where to go?

The wizard would know. He'd already seen the only route to victory in Infinity War.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The wizard would know. He'd already seen the only route to victory in Infinity War.

But there was no time surely to get them all together, they’d all just just appeared in a world they wouldn’t know?

3 minutes ago, macosx said:

But there was no time surely to get them all together, they’d all just just appeared in a world they wouldn’t know?

Weren’t most of them in Wakanda at the end of the last one?

• Upvote 2

I expect that Dr Strange and the portal brigade can organise things pretty fast via magical teleconference.

I want to know what the un-dusting looked like. Was it the reverse of the dusting or did people pop back into place with an actual pop?

I'm interested to see how much of the post-snap reality is explored in the next lot of movies, or to what extent they just forget about it.

I refuse to pay for any more marvel movies if Ken Jeong is going to be shitty cameo guy. Fuck him.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Weren’t most of them in Wakanda at the end of the last one?

Yep. Wakanda, or Thanos' home planet. Not sure about the Reavers though. But you know what: fuck it! The moment they all come through the portals is quite probably one of the most incredible, fist pumping moments in cinema history, so who really cares?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, APM said:

Not sure about the Reavers though.

You mean Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer's mob from GoTG? I didn't even notice them :lol: Was Stallone there?

Another Scottish character in Endgame - Ebony Maw.

How did the Asgardians get back to Earth anyways?

2 minutes ago, APM said:

Yep. Wakanda, or Thanos' home planet. Not sure about the Reavers though. But you know what: fuck it! The moment they all come through the portals is quite probably one of the most incredible, fist pumping moments in cinema history, so who really cares?

I only cared because at that moment the stakes were so high as our heroes were truly beat and I just thought it was a bit hand wavy when Strange had no time stone to make it happen so quick, when all the other time heist plans had been explained.

28 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

It’s now overtaken Avatar so second highest grossing film of all time world wide in less than a fortnight.

I love the film and was thoroughly unimpressed with Avatar, so I don't like defending it but... grosses are pointless unless you adjust for inflation, really. 

Screenshot_20190505-193838_1557081745841.thumb.jpg.55ebb7427ac6cbf93b6bceb30fd713d4.jpg

Gonna beat Jaws and Doctor Zhivago for sure, though, which were legit cultural phenoms. So that's impressive. 

15 minutes ago, Naieve said:

I refuse to pay for any more marvel movies if Ken Jeong is going to be shitty cameo guy. Fuck him.

Well the Russos haven't repeated any of their MCU Community cameos so far...

30 minutes ago, macosx said:

I only cared because at that moment the stakes were so high as our heroes were truly beat and I just thought it was a bit hand wavy when Strange had no time stone to make it happen so quick, when all the other time heist plans had been explained.

Really? Thanos was able to pull all his armies through at a moment's notice. For me, there had been sufficient gap between the Hulk's snap and all the heroes getting transported in that I was wholly accepting them all turning up. 

1 hour ago, macosx said:

You're not the first to ask, I posted this a ways back in the thread:

On 26/04/2019 at 13:27, Thor said:

Notice there was definitely a period of time between Hulk's snap, and "on your left".

I can only imagine that Hulk brought everyone back safely with his initial snap, and then Doctor Strange - able to be in several places at the same time, because he's a wizard master of the mystic arts - ensures the unsnapped civilians are safe and well (he is a doctor, after all) and simultaneously rounds up the unsnapped army, briefs them all, and then teleports them all through at just the right moment, and what a fucking moment that was!

Some things are best left to the imagination, and for me that there is one of them. :)

• Empathy 1

I get the impression that with all those wizards opening portals from other worlds they have them stationed on different planets keeping an eye on things. Thats why they were able to organise a quick and precise response. I also get the impression that Strange sent Wong some kind of message in secret to get ready for this moment. He even says "Is this everyone" to Wong like this was planned out and he had Wong collected forces.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

It’s now overtaken Avatar so second highest grossing film of all time world wide in less than a fortnight.

It hasn't overtaken Avatar in worldwide grosses. 

I still don't understand how Cap can create lightning when wielding Mjolnir. Mjolnir itself doesn't create lightning, only Thor can do that. 

Just now, tbb said:

I still don't understand how Cap can create lightning when wielding Mjolnir. Mjolnir itself doesn't create lightning, only Thor can do that. 

What does Odin do right after banishing Thor?

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."