rllmuk
JPL

Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

47 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

I must have missed that. What was it? 

Spoiler

When they were talking about the time travel TV shows and movies after getting back with the stones from the past.

Finally made it to the IMAX. You’d think they weren’t going to make any more of these. It’s absurd how far they went with this, like Infinity War managing to boil down the franchise in to a single, comprehensible storyline emboldened them to go absolutely crazy with it.

And yet it worked.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Reveal hidden contents

When they were talking about the time travel TV shows and movies after getting back with the stones from the past.

it was before not after.

Just got back.  Very little to add other than god knows how they landed it with all the bits they had up in the air.

I don't think its final act as an action movie was as effective as Infinity War.

It's the least action packed action movie I've seen in ages.

Obviously the first pumping fisty fist bits are all good.  A little sad it's all over really 

• Upvote 2

The more I think about it the more I am amazed with how much was great about it.

I just wish that some of the characters that were undusted had more to say. I get it was all about the end of the OG Avengers journey but I'd have liked more Dr Strange with Tony or the GotG gang.

Is it just me or did Captain America showing up old on the bench contradict their “no changing history, only tangent timelines” rule? I wonder if they wrote that ending without the handing-over-the-torch bit and changed it.

He jumps in from a tangent timeline where he marries Agent Carter.  You think they would miss something that contradicts the whole film?

But he’s in the main timeline at the end. Did he invent a way to jump between parallel universes and just not mention it?

If that’s the explanation it makes logical sense but it’s iffy storytelling to not convey any of it on screen. They could at least have him wearing a time travel gadget or something.

Edit - Actually if that’s on the cards can’t they also bring back anyone else who died from a parallel timeline?

They say it a zillion times ...You can't change the past therefore he can only be from a different timeline. 

Your edit - Yes but they wouldnt be the same person they'd be a different version of the character. I'm sure we will see what's happens with Gamora in the future.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

But he’s in the main timeline at the end. Did he invent a way to jump between parallel universes and just not mention it?

If that’s the explanation it makes logical sense but it’s iffy storytelling to not convey any of it on screen. They could at least have him wearing a time travel gadget or something.

Edit - Actually if that’s on the cards can’t they also bring back anyone else who died from a parallel timeline?

Well yeah but then you'd be pulling them out of their timeline in the timeline we know. It'd be like pulling someone out if an alternative reality.

Cap goes back, has a life with Penny which creates a new timeline and then (I'm guessing when she died), jumped back into the original timeline. Remember there were various machines around at one point, so I like to think he came back out of one of them and waited for the moment to pass the shield.

This is the only way I can justify it really.

• Upvote 1

It would be the same person, but they would have lived part of their life in a parallel timeline, but then come back to the main one.

It’s a perfect ending to the character arc, it’s just an awkward thing to throw on to the movie’s time travel logic. Not that it usually pays to sweat time travel logic.

I wonder if they will just CGI in one of the time GPSes in the Blu-Ray. Or maybe one was always there and I didn’t notice.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It would be the same person, but they would have lived part of their life in a parallel timeline, but then come back to the main one.

It’s a perfect ending to the character arc, it’s just an awkward thing to throw on to the movie’s time travel logic. Not that it usually pays to sweat time travel logic.

I guess it depends on the time the split happened but they wouldnt be the original and would they want to leave their timeline and their own versions of people anyway.  I think they'll explore this in gotg3.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I wonder if they will just CGI in one of the time GPSes in the Blu-Ray. Or maybe one was always there and I didn’t notice.

You are assuming he came back that day. He could have been in the prime timeline for days or weeks.

4 minutes ago, Gord said:

You are assuming he came back that day. He could have been in the prime timeline for days or weeks.

I mean, so we, as the audience,

understand what has happened.

I think a lot of people didn’t, and it probably it missed a little something to set it up. It’s logically consistent when it’s explained to you but takes more thought than the rest of the film’s fairly elegant handling of time travel which by rights should have been a complete mess.

Not that it matters a huge deal - like I say, the moment works. And the idea of it being fodder for YouTube plot hole trash like Cinemasins sickens me.

• Upvote 2

I thought Captain America had used his last “Pym Particle” to go back to the 1940s to meet up with Carter and had just lived his life out and knew to be sitting there on that date in 2019?

49 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I thought Captain America had used his last “Pym Particle” to go back to the 1940s to meet up with Carter and had just lived his life out and knew to be sitting there on that date in 2019?

He could hang around for 30 years or whatever and get more from Hank in 1970.

I don’t think they had a shortage of Pym particles anyway, they got a big restock in the 1970s. And Pym himself was back. The issue is whether he wound up in his original reality or a tangent one, and how he returned to his original one in the latter case.

Do films need to spell everything put for everyone though? How many times have you finsihed a film and people have interpreted it differently. This one felt fairly simple to work out in my opinion.

They pretty much make a point that you go off in another direction if you change the past, so Cap has to return to the prime timeline to had over the sheild. He just chooses to do it after having a life with Peggy. If he's had children with her, he resigned himself to never seeing them again.

• Upvote 1

I know, I was just explaining why it didn’t land for me - and presumably other people - because there seemed some confusion as to why I possibly could be confused by it.

In the grand scheme it’s probably not far off the lack of a sound effect for the bench landing after Hulk throws it. Where do you put it without spoiling the moment?