rllmuk
JPL

Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

I can see the “I knew it” line going 2 ways, either he knew he was worthy since AoU or that it was just in step with his personality like in the exchange about Loki “that’s my brother” ... “adopted” etc

I’m happy with either (aether?) but would choose the worthy option if pushed.

To add re picking up the hammer, I don't think it is binary on a person by person basis. You have to earn it and that may mean you can't pick it up until such time you've proven yourself worthy. That would fit in the way it worked with Thor in, err, Thor.

The three hours flew by, I shed a single manly tear when Tony and Peter hugged. I think Cap wielding the hammer just about pipped other Cap torpedoing the shit out of Thanos's ride as the 'fuck yeah' moment. The time travel element was a nice way of reminding us how long we have spent with these characters all building up to this ending. I'll miss RDJ as iron man. 

Edit. If it's Evans last turn as Captain America I'll miss him as well, he's been fantastic. 

• Upvote 2

The Cap Marvel reappearance was fantastic. The way the guns turned from the fight, a few beats of silence, firing into nothingness, then... BLAM! 

11 hours ago, gospvg said:

Hulk lost his anger which was a shame, his best film will be Thor Ragnorak. I would have loved him going up against Thanos again.

Thor is obviously having issues dealing with the snap from IW but they seem to use him for the humour angle where I would have gone for a more human approach & see him recovering. The funeral scene at the end seemed odd in that some characters looked like they were not really at the event - must have been shot separately? Will need to look at that again.

There is absolutely no way whatsoever they got all those actors in for a single (complicated) shot non-speaking cameo on the same day. Most of them aren't in the film otherwise. It's a well done shot but they don't even really try to hide that it's cg. 

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I've got to admit, the one thing Marvel have really nailed with these films has been the casting. Outside of Jeremy Renner, the rest of the cast have been pretty much perfect.

I sometimes see people online rightfully drawing attention to Sarah Halley Finn, who has been the casting director on every MCU film except Incredible Hulk.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

To add re picking up the hammer, I don't think it is binary on a person by person basis. You have to earn it and that may mean you can't pick it up until such time you've proven yourself worthy. That would fit in the way it worked with Thor in, err, Thor.

I meant that I’m working on the assumption that it’s binary in that you’re either worthy or not, so you either are (and can use it) or aren’t (and it won’t budge an inch). Whether a person is worthy or not is obviously in flux, but the nature of the enchantment seems to be fully on/off, which is why I (now) think Cap could always have used it.

• Upvote 2

Why didn’t the Avengers go back to 1970 first to get more Pym particles, before going off to get all the infinity stones??

15 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Captain Marvel felt really tacked on and, as our American cousins would say, a bit of a douchebag. “I’m too busy doing other stuff, but I’ll come back and help you out defeating the biggest threat to the universe. When I can be bothered”.

Yeah captain Marvel was the big disappointment for me. I was really hoping she would play a larger role. 

The other major disappointing thing was the idiotic scene in Japan where Hawkeye is slicing people in the street. All sorts of nutty tropes to pick apart there.

Apart from that I loved the Bill and Ted's reprise in the first half. The second half CGI fest got boring for me, as it has done in about 90% of the MCU films, but it contained enough fan service to carry it off.

Pepper Potts needs to go on a basic first aid training course because the last thing you want to do when someone is losing conciseness is to tell them to go to sleep.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tourist said:

The other major disappointing thing was the idiotic scene in Japan where Hawkeye is slicing people in the street. All sorts of nutty tropes to pick apart there.

What was so idiotic about it? I quite enjoyed it as an introduction to Hawkeye's new character, who travels the world chopping fools up.

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

What was so idiotic about it? I quite enjoyed it as an introduction to Hawkeye's new character, who travels the world chopping fools up.

Hiroyuki Sanada though :quote: I know who should have won that one

5 hours ago, LeighCb said:

It actually me laugh because it is so fitting with her real life persona. 

“Eh, Ms Potts what are you doing?”

”Don’t worry Peter, if I put this healing marble up his bum it will help.”

/Avengers theme swells

• Upvote 5

44 minutes ago, JPL said:

There’s nothing idiotic about it, it’s a superb character reintroduction and I was particularly grinning through it. Each of the OG Avengers are dealing with shit in totally different ways, and I love that they’ve amped up Hawkeye. 

People can and and will like/dislike anything for literally any totally random or inconsequential reason, but that’s subjective opinion for yah. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There’s nothing idiotic about it, it’s a superb character reintroduction and I was particularly grinning through it. Each of the OG Avengers are dealing with shit in totally different ways, and I love that they’ve amped up Hawkeye. 

People can and and will like/dislike anything for literally any totally random or inconsequential reason, but that’s subjective opinion for yah. 

Sure, if you're happy with Charlie Chan all over again...

(I can't be bothered to unpack the lazy cultural appropriation, but to me the whole scene was on a par with proudly announcing that you're opening an authentic Asian restaurant and calling one of your cocktails lucky geisha or whatever.)

On 28/04/2019 at 23:48, Stigweard said:

I randomly watched Ant Man and the Wasp on Friday and in that she takes the piss out of Scott for calling him Cap

I think I was the only person in the cinema who laughed when Scott stumbled over what to call Cap - just before he and Tony shot off to the 70s. :)

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Exactly. I thought it was great. I’d like to hear his reasons for thinking it was all a bit cliched and idiotic though.

Edit: I see the reply now. I still don’t see the link though. Maybe you missed it @Tourist, but they even said he’d been recently seen in Mexico taking out gangsters. From that I presume he’d been travelling the world for the last 5 years on some misguided quest to get rid of all the people he believed didn’t deserve to live over his wife and kids. You obviously saw it very differently if you think it’s in any way similar to opening an Asian restaurant.

19 minutes ago, Tourist said:

(I can't be bothered to unpack the lazy cultural appropriation, but to me the whole scene was on a par with proudly announcing that you're opening an authentic Asian restaurant and calling one of your cocktails lucky geisha or whatever.)

I think you’re reading into it too much, mate. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tourist said:

...what. That's what you have a problem with? 

12 hours ago, deerokus said:

There is absolutely no way whatsoever they got all those actors in for a single (complicated) shot non-speaking cameo on the same day. Most of them aren't in the film otherwise. It's a well done shot but they don't even really try to hide that it's cg. 

I believe that RDJ actually said the filming of that scene was his favourite day of any MCU filming, as it involved everyone being in the same place at the same time - no stunt doubles, just all the stars.  That's not to say that nobody was cgi'd in, but the inference was that it was truly filmed as seen.

• Upvote 2

I saw this at the weekend and thought it was perfect. I was highly skeptical about a 3hr+ running time but honestly I wouldn't have cut a single minute. The 'toilet break' guide was bullshit, no way I would've been happy to miss chilled-out Hulk eating a huge bowl of scrambled eggs or any of Cap and Tony in 1970! It flew by.

I actually think I preferred it to Infinity War. Both films were masterfully put together and executed, though. A real moment in blockbuster cinema. There's never been anything like it.

Bits where I welled up:

• Tony bonding with his dad in 1970 - best scene in the movie, for me
  • Steve getting Mjolnir and uppercutting Thanos
  • The women lining up and flying into battle
  • Pepper's "you can rest now" goodbye to Tony
  • Steve dancing with Peggy as the final shot.

Also, as a big fan of time travel in films, I was delighted that it set out some clear, vaguely sensical rules and then stuck to them. Anyone who says otherwise it wrong. The chart earlier in this thread that shows the branching timelines created by the time travellers is exactly right, and not undermined at all within the film. The only dodgy thing is old Steve somehow being in his original timeline at the very end, but you could imagine a whole film's worth of events as Steve Rogers goes around parallel universes trying to set things right, lives out his life with Peggy, and then at some point is able to jump back to his original timeline to say say hi to his old buddies and hand over his shield. Perhaps he had to wait for the invention of the time machine in his new timeline to be able to do this.

It does mean that if the Loki escape is a setup for the Loki TV series then it all takes place in a parallel timeline, but I'm up for that. Him escaping with the Tesseract is the one big thing that Steve would have a hard time fixing (as well as Thanos disappearing from another timeline, but I reckon he could live with that change) and it'd be a cool thing to see explored in the Loki TV series.

• Upvote 6

Loved this

Found most of these movies over the last hundred years, or whatever it's been, boring as shit - fell asleep in multiple Captain Americas. Thor was good. GOTG was great. And the last couple have been epic. I think it always needed a bad guy who seemed properly menacing.

Spiderman can gtfo though. Grafted on.

10 minutes ago, Pob said:

Also, as a big fan of time travel in films, I was delighted that it set out some clear, vaguely sensical rules and then stuck to them. Anyone who says otherwise it wrong. The chart earlier in this thread that shows the branching timelines created by the time travellers is exactly right, and not undermined at all within the film.

It's undermined by the dialogue. The Ancient One says that the stones "create" the flow of time; removing them causes branches and replacing them deletes the branches. At the end, Banner tells Cap to "trim all the branches" by returning the stones. Old Cap's appearance at the end also hints that the branches are gone.

This dialogue unfortunately doesn't make sense and contradicts the events of the film. The fact that different people are interpretting the time travel mechanics differently is testament to this contradiction.

That chart I posted makes sense on its own but you have to either ignore bits of dialogue or massively reinterpret their (apparent) intended meaning.

Given that the film mocks other time travel films, it's a bit off that it doesn't get its own rules straight.

10 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

It's undermined by the dialogue. The Ancient One says that the stones "create" the flow of time; removing them causes branches and replacing them deletes the branches. At the end, Banner tells Cap to "trim all the branches" by returning the stones. Old Cap's appearance at the end also hints that the branches are gone.

Yeah I didn't really pay attention to the Ancient One bit. All I took away from that scene was "we really need the time stone back".

I just let the time travel stuff wash over me as, whichever film it's in, it's all bullshit. But didn't Banner just say, "I'm going to borrow it then put it back"? And as that point in time then becomes the present/future, the time stone is back in place to ensure continuity.