IGNORED

Star Trek Prodigy - Animated for da kidz. “This is gold pressed latinum” - rllmuk review

deKay

I'm too much of an old man but that looks like the most shameless borrowing of all sorts of things I've seen in a while. 

Jelly type lifeform just like in orville

What looked like a twi'lek crossed with thalia from mass effect

The mako from mass effect

A cute robot that looks like bb-8 crossed with Steven merchants robot in portal 2

Basically an ork 

"Clever" in jokes like how the lasers go pyew. 

It might not be as derivative as all that but it looks a lot like it will be. 

9 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I'm too much of an old man but that looks like the most shameless borrowing of all sorts of things I've seen in a while. 

Jelly type lifeform just like in orville

What looked like a twi'lek crossed with thalia from mass effect

The mako from mass effect

A cute robot that looks like bb-8 crossed with Steven merchants robot in portal 2

Basically an ork 

"Clever" in jokes like how the lasers go pyew. 

It might not be as derivative as all that but it looks a lot like it will be. 

You missed the really broad, obvious sarcasm lines that runs through kid's shows. 

I do like a pyew-pyew tho. 

• 1 month later...

They've announced some more cast.

Daveed Diggs as Commander Tysess

Jameela Jamil as Ensign Asencia

Jason Alexander as Doctor Noum

And presumably for the sake of charity, Robert Beltran is back as Chakotay, who is now a captain.

Can someone put Prodigy in the thread title? I don't necessarily mean Smack My Bridge Up.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Well, same problem with modern TV Trek, and those awful “Abramsverse” films: Trek made by people who don’t want to make Trek, who don’t like Trek, or who just don’t understand Trek.

Who don't even like Trek.

On 28/10/2021 at 10:11, Scribblor said:

That whole trailer seemed more Wars than Trek.

The first episode did too. 
The art style, the aliens, droids (including a general Grievous lookalike) and plot were definitely straight from Star Wars. 

If Dal had discovered Jedi powers I’d not have been surprised. 

It looked really pretty, raised a few genuine laughs, and I’m all in favour of making sci-fi accessible to kids, but it’s not Trek (yet).

Once they are based on their ship (awesome, btw) then that may change.

I enjoyed the second episode more than the first. It did feel a bit more like proper Trek, thanks to the ship, and there was a nice hint at depth to some of the characters too. It was certainly better than Discovery!

The show feels like it's an attempt to do for Star Trek what TCW and the rest did for Star Wars, which is fine by me.

• 2 months later...

It's back today.

Spoiler

Holodeck appearances from Odo, Scotty, Uhura, Spock and Bev. With the dead ones (and I think Uhura) dialogue clearly lines taken from old shows and movies rather than using an impersonator.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2022 at 07:53, JohnC said:

It's back today.

Hide contents

Holodeck appearances from Odo, Scotty, Uhura, Spock and Bev. With the dead ones (and I think Uhura) dialogue clearly lines taken from old shows and movies rather than using an impersonator.

This was a huge step up in quality. Genuinely really well done. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying this quite a bit. The latest episode was excellent, although as the start of a two parter it ended really abruptly.

It took me until last week to realise that the Diviner is voiced by John Noble, which is brilliant.

• 3 months later...

I watched the first two episodes of this earlier and, surprised to say, it's not a bad start. I'm assuming it's going for a mix of Lost in Space with Trek.

I like the mixed cast of characters they are building. No humans for a change although it felt more like Wars then Trek. The big bad robot was basically General Grevious.

Interested to see where it goes, it's already better than Picard.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first season (10 episodes) on Now TV (with the entertainment pass) in 2 days flat.

My 4 year old girl has been ill. so we've been vegging and watching it and she loved it (and just about understood most of it, with a bit of pausing and chat), and whilst that biased me, so did I.

It's very well pitched, and the purest sequel to TNG era trek, with the added wish fulfilment of 'kids get a starship', but done well instead of cringy. 

Feels like Avatar - the last Airbender in that regard. except It's far less violent. They're on the run from family figures so their trying to be good on their own. The Federation exists as this distant ideal, they've vaguely heard of, and through Janeway inspires them to be better. And whilst Janeway is genuinely fantastic, the shows a genuine ensemble (again a first for New-Trek) and the 6 or so main cast are well rounded and real (and by the end have a genuine, real and believable friendship)  Refreshingly, instead of fan service (of which there is only one episode to do any) it's just in the same universe as the end of Voyager.

There is moral ambiguity that hits at the right level for kids - (mines being debating who is good and who is bad, and going back and forth) - but maintains that Startrek optimism. 

It would have really benefitted from being 24 odd episodes rather than 10.  But it's also the first modern trek (I've not seen SNW) to also make stand alone work with sequential storytelling.

Now my little one is running around with my old wireless keyboard typing away to control things and asking to play space.  So well done there.

By far the best of the new trek, and genuinely good in it's own right. Recommended.

It's bas