There's Surrogates, where Bruce Willis has cop investigative adventures in a world of lifelike surrogate android shells, and also Vice, where Bruce Willis has cop investigative adventures in a world where he invented lifelike androids. 

Will Smith looks too well-preserved to really capitalise on the film's concept. They really needed to cast someone who's aged really badly, or at least someone who looks very different in middle age to what they did in their twenties, like Leonardo DiCaprio or Josh Brolin or Robert Downey Jr. Or at least someone who's lost all their hair.

Man, they've been working on this flick for what seems like two decades and after all that time and all of the different versions they ended up with this...

It looks terrible.

Doesn't help that it also looks like it was shot on an iphone with that high frame rate shite. It also seems to have been a mistake not going the marvel route and de-aging/morphing with a real actor. 

They shot all his younger parts in motion capture, AVATAR style then created the character in the computer. That's a fully CG Will Smith.

Weird.

1 hour ago, K said:

Will Smith looks too well-preserved to really capitalise on the film's concept. They really needed to cast someone who's aged really badly, or at least someone who looks very different in middle age to what they did in their twenties, like Leonardo DiCaprio or Josh Brolin or Robert Downey Jr. Or at least someone who's lost all their hair.

Back in the day, this was a vehicle for Harrison Ford, must have been just after ‘The Fugitive’ that it started to move forward. 

Imagine this with 70+ yr old Ford against 25yr old Ford. And not shit looking. Now *that* I’d watch. 

Hrm. CG Smith looks iffy, as in they're close, but getting really close and falling short tends to be worse than being way off. I've been interested in it purely based on Winstead and the director, who has never made a bad film in my opinion (the hugely experimental Billy Lynn kind of doesn't count if you didn't see it as intended).

3 hours ago, K said:

I may be wrong (I’m not sure how the tech works), but I imagine they need to use an actor that hasn’t aged too badly in the first place to make the younger version look half decent.

It’s reasonably impressive but let’s face it, it still looks like CGI.

22 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I may be wrong (I’m not sure how the tech works), but I imagine they need to use an actor that hasn’t aged too badly in the first place to make the younger version look half decent.

It’s reasonably impressive but let’s face it, it still looks like CGI.

I mentioned Robert Downey Jr because the de-aging technology they used in Civil War was absolutely incredible given that he's changed a fair bit since the eighties. That said, I have no idea whether it would be cost-effective to do that for a whole film. There may well be technological reasons why they'd have to go with an actor who hasn't changed much, but it does diminish the spectacle of the film given that the whole reason for it existing seems to be to show you something that would previously have been impossible. Will Smith even looks like he's lost a fair bit of weight recently (possibly to make the dual role easier to pull off), so unless the actual film is great, it seems a bit pointless.

For all that, I thought young Smith looked pretty good.

EDIT: according to the Wikipedia page, Sean Connery was in the running to star at one point. Now THAT would have been impressive if they could have pulled it off. Chris O'Donnell was also going to star at one point, so presumably the challenge there was getting the audience to even remember what he looks like at all.

That looks absolutely awesome!   

The logo I mean.  Really clever the way they've used the negative space to make the N.

Film looks like shit. CGI Will is very obviously CGI and completely ruins any hope of this being good.  Just in the same way that CGI Grand Moff Tarkin absolutely broke the immersion.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just saw this and.....it’s not very good.

Young Will Smith looks pretty good at times, but other times looks a bit ropey 

Spoiler

Especially the very end in broad daylight which of the whole film was like that I’d probably have walked out

There is a couple of okay action scenes, but the main problem is that it’s far too serious with clunky dialogue and exposition and while the two Smiths on screen at the time isn’t occasionally technically impressive - you don’t give a shit about them beyond that.

There is barely any humour (and it doesn’t land when there is) which seems a mistake when you’ve got two Will Smith’s running around and Benedict Wong in sidekick mode.

2 Will Smiths out of 5.

On 23/04/2019 at 17:32, Glasgowchivas said:

Back in the day, this was a vehicle for Harrison Ford, must have been just after ‘The Fugitive’ that it started to move forward. 

Imagine this with 70+ yr old Ford against 25yr old Ford. And not shit looking. Now *that* I’d watch. 

It could include a very long sequence where young Harrison Ford sits down with old Harrison Ford and talks bitterly about how his old self's earring makes him look like a sex attacker. 

Yeah, just seen this. There's one long action sequence which is absolutely brilliant. Really good stuff, packs it all in, shooting, chasing, running, biking and fighting.

Does it make up for the non-story and lack of any real character development... no.

In terms of action, the film just about delivers (but let's face it, we're spoilt after the intensity of John Wick). My biggest gripe is with Smith's character. You're never really given enough time to grow any sort of connection to him. His story is all presented to you quite dryly. Smith is such a presence that he pulls it back from the brink, but you never really feel that invested in his character.

The CGI was okay. For young Will it's exceptional, I really couldn't tell at any stage I was looking at CGI, but some of the movements in the fight scenes felt slightly off, which did detract from some otherwise great action moments.

Yeah, three Wills out of five for me. I'd see it again, but I'll be keeping my phone in hand for much of it.

I went to see this last night purely to see what a high frame rate film looks like. (Just to get the film review out of the way, it's pretty dull).

High frame rate is an interesting choice for action films. First off the soap opera effect is present and correct, and does make things look a little cheap. If you can get over that it does have the positive of making incredible crisp, clear, detailed 3D - as in genuinely looking like a full diorama into the screen that far exceeds another other 3D I've ever seen.

On still scenes there's a weird effect that makes it look like every single element has been add to the frame separately in post production even though you're sure the actors were filmed live on set.

All this is forgiven as soon as the camera pans because movement is always really clear with zero blur no mater how frantic the action gets. There's a motorbike chase scene with some extreme aerobatics that just looks "real" - like you're sat in front of the actual stunt happening just meters away from you!

I can't recommend anyone actually go watch this, because it's not an engaging film, but when Avatar 2 comes out I would definitely recommend seeking out the 3D high frame rate version over the 2D version. Seeing Pandora like this would be something special, even if the film turns out to be pap.

• 2 months later...

Just watched this. Absolute shocker of a twist that, going into the movie, I didn’t know.

Spoiler

The credits roll and it says, “Directed by Ang Lee”. Never would’ve guessed...

:o

Overall, it’s hot garbage. There’s just no wow factor in the way it looks. Very bland, with flat lighting. Terrible on the nose dialogue, and a tonally weird performance from Will Smith. There’s one bit where he screams down a phone that reminded me of Cage’s outbursts in The Wicker Man. He gives off a huge vibe of “My best days are behind me, just give me the pay cheque.”

• 4 weeks later...

Meh, it was a serviceable thriller with a hook that's forgotten about pretty quickly. 

I watched it in 60fps on 4K Blu-ray, and thought that they largely did a decent job with Junior, (makes a mockery of the tech used for The Irishman), with his eyes looking off in some shots. 

I don't mean 'uncanny valley', more that they appeared to have too much space between them. 

I suppose this helped too...

hdZ9I2Th.jpg

:wub: