rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MardiganX

The Victim (BBC)

Has anyone else watched this? I’ve only just finished watching it last night after doing 2 episodes last night and 2 on Friday. Fuck me, that was some incredible TV. The boy James Harkness was absolutely outstanding.

So emotional for very surprising reasons and cleverly handled given the focus of the story. Mostly filmed across the Clyde from me in Port Glasgow (I’m in Cardross) so great to see such a powerful Scottish drama like this. Can’t help but think that if this was filmed or set in London or somewhere in England that everyone would be talking about it but really not to be missed. 

• Upvote 5

I thought this was great.

And I don't think the setting was a problem, I think it just wasn't pushed by the BBC, first I heard of it was when I was scrolling through iPlayer. Be interested on your thoughts after the final episode.

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

I thought this was great.

And I don't think the setting was a problem, I think it just wasn't pushed by the BBC, first I heard of it was when I was scrolling through iPlayer. Be interested on your thoughts after the final episode.

Spoiler

I was honestly left on my arse when Craig screamed “I AM EDDIE J TURNER!’ during the face to face meeting. I thought it was going to be all about how his mate gets found out and maybe a bit more with the creepy boyfriend but fuck me, that scene floored me. Not least because Harkness is utterly believable in the role.

The final meeting with the confession and the truth about what happened was played so well and delivered an incredible and emotional ending to what seemed like a standard whodunnit until the last 30 minutes.

The creepy boyfriend thread wasn’t closed down as effectively as everything else with it suggesting that either he was responsible for the apparent torture of Liam before he reported it or there was more to his story. Overall though, a thoroughly satisfying ending but for completely unexpected reasons. 

On 21/04/2019 at 12:47, MardiganX said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was honestly left on my arse when Craig screamed “I AM EDDIE J TURNER!’ during the face to face meeting. I thought it was going to be all about how his mate gets found out and maybe a bit more with the creepy boyfriend but fuck me, that scene floored me. Not least because Harkness is utterly believable in the role.

The final meeting with the confession and the truth about what happened was played so well and delivered an incredible and emotional ending to what seemed like a standard whodunnit until the last 30 minutes.

The creepy boyfriend thread wasn’t closed down as effectively as everything else with it suggesting that either he was responsible for the apparent torture of Liam before he reported it or there was more to his story. Overall though, a thoroughly satisfying ending but for completely unexpected reasons. 

Spoiler

I think the 'torture' cuts and bruises came from him moving the body after he died, I don't think the weird boyfriend was anything more than a kid discovering the body and then being told he couldn't talk about what had happened. Him meeting the sister and getting close to her was his way of getting past it.

On 21/04/2019 at 09:24, Timmo said:

And I don't think the setting was a problem, I think it just wasn't pushed by the BBC, first I heard of it was when I was scrolling through iPlayer.

It was produced by a Scottish company and greenlit by BBC Scotland, so much like pretty much every other BBC Scotland thing, it doesn't get much, if any promotion from the main arm of the BBC, it usually just randomly appears on the iPlayer listings, like BBC3 or the other regional stuff does.

19 hours ago, mushashi said:

It was produced by a Scottish company and greenlit by BBC Scotland, so much like pretty much every other BBC Scotland thing, it doesn't get much, if any promotion from the main arm of the BBC, it usually just randomly appears on the iPlayer listings, like BBC3 or the other regional stuff does.

maybe they didn't want to hype it up too much in case Jon Venebles came looking for royalties. Was good though

• Upvote 1

On 21/04/2019 at 12:47, MardiganX said:

Reveal hidden contents

100% agree with all of that. Terrific performances all round.