deKay

XIII Remake, Winter 2019

Also this could be a different game based on the same original comic, rather than a remake/remaster of the original game, so temper expectations...

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

Also this could be a different game based on the same original comic, rather than a remake/remaster of the original game, so temper expectations...

It's a remake.

"The video game XIII (Thirteen) is back in a remake. XIII’s quest for identity will start again November XIII 2019 on PlayStation 4!"

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

It's a remake.

"The video game XIII (Thirteen) is back in a remake. XIII’s quest for identity will start again November XIII 2019 on PlayStation 4!"

All formats.

• Upvote 7

Think I had a copy of this on the original Xbox that I never actually got around to playing. The pile of shame spans many generations.

I can't say I've noticed much demand for a remaster of this but what do I know?

Yeah, one of the few games I fancied on the GC that I never actually picked up at the time. Might give it a punt.

I only played the PS2 version, but I liked it, and at one point vaguely intended to pick up a cheap copy of the Xbox version to replay it. It had really strongly magnetic auto-aim, as I recall - I'm not sure if that was just on the PS2, to counterbalance its infamous analogue sticks.

For me the ranking of PS2 FPSs went, best to worst:

TimeSplitters Future Perfect

TimeSplitters 2

Cold Winter

XIII

Killzone

Those first-person VR missions in MGS2 Substance with controls that no other FPS has used before or since

Was XIII ever any good? I always had it pegged as a pretty poor game. The comic aesthetic was clever and well-executed, but that aside it seemed like an entirely mediocre shooter, with the typical spongey feel to the controls, the complete lack of any of the finesse around aiming you got on stuff like Halo and Timesplitters, and the typical level design cruft involving mandatory stealth sections and the like. Surprised that people are so happy to see it return.

• Upvote 6

I remember it being a good game with a few problems and annoyances, think I played through the main campaign twice, so for now I'm tentatively looking forward to it.

It had moments, it also had absolutely In-fucking-furiating stealth demands. Still nothing beats a good knife to the throat of a bad guy.

the art design meant that whole section of levels were identical and repeated, the last level been a terrible collection of doors and corridors.

very french.

“Mr. Rowland?”

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

I played it over the course of 7 years

Gotta appreciate the value for money then.

• Upvote 2

It was good - well, as much as I could play of it.  I seem to remember the controls were unconfigurable and the opposite to what I was used to in some way.

22 hours ago, K said:

Was XIII ever any good? I always had it pegged as a pretty poor game. The comic aesthetic was clever and well-executed, but that aside it seemed like an entirely mediocre shooter, with the typical spongey feel to the controls, the complete lack of any of the finesse around aiming you got on stuff like Halo and Timesplitters, and the typical level design cruft involving mandatory stealth sections and the like. Surprised that people are so happy to see it return.

That's my memory of it too. The art style was amazing and I loved the vibe of the game but the gameplay was pretty lacking. With a bit of tightening up it could be a lot better, but I suspect that it will be very dated in 2019.

Yesssssssssss!!

fucking fantastic news. I really must get round to picking up the entire run of the (frankly amazing if Bourne rip off) comic.

i loved the game and was only playing it a few weeks ago.

theres also a TV show!