E3 2019 | Microsoft Sunday June 9th 9:00PM BST

Just now, footle said:

Sure - but they didn't quote TF. They just said 4 times more powerful.

That's because if they'd said it had 24tf they would probably be lying. We'll see what they mean by 'powerful' in due course, but I really doubt -- unless AMD have done something utterly amazing --  that Scarlet will have 4x the total processing power of a One X.

Still, new xbox launching with Halo, what's not to like?

Just now, PeteBrant said:

Halo will be a launch total for Scarlett . They showed a big long cutscene for halo and talked  about Scarlett doing 120fps and having a SSD and it launches next Christmas 

Streaming, yeah?

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

What did I miss?! Something came up.

Based on my quick skim of the thread you missed nothing. Unless it's just been peak rllmuk in ultra jaded old men who hate their hobby mode.

LOL

I enjoyed that. No point trying to defend any of it in here though. 

LEGO Forza, my heart sank when I found out that was the next dlc earlier this week but I chose to give Playground the benefit of the doubt until I'd seen what they'd done with it and I was totally IN once that trailer got going.

Overall I get why they went with CGI announcements over awkward developers playing half finished alphas which could fall apart at any second. We'll see gameplay in the follow up shows over the next few days just like always. 

Sony next.... LOL

19 minutes ago, TommyG said:

Preordered the new Xbox elite controller 2 from amazon. Available November 7th 

Just checking but you're aware that Amazon charge upfront for pre-orders now, right?

1 minute ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Based on my quick skim of the thread you missed nothing. Unless it's just been peak rllmuk in ultra jaded old men who hate their hobby mode.

LOL

I enjoyed that. No point trying to defend any of it in here though. 

LEGO Forza, my heart sank when I found out that was the next dlc earlier this week but I chose to give Playground the benefit of the doubt until I'd seen what they'd done with it and I was totally IN once that trailer got going.

Overall I get why they went with CGI announcements over awkward developers playing half finished alphas which could fall apart at any second. We'll see gameplay in the follow up shows over the next few days just like always. 

Sony next.... LOL

[thumbs up emoji]

I thought that was ok.  I think I might be getting video game fatigue now though. I've been tired of big story cutscenes with massive explosions and machine guns for a little while and can't be bothered to find out who the characters are in new games a lot of the time. 

I'm up for Gears, Halo and thought Ori looked amazing, but my pick of the show was 12 minutes. 

Low point for me was getting Keanu and the car out onstage. I like Keanu a lot based on interviews and he has a reputation for being a great guy but I'm just not bothered about celebrity appearances at these sorts of things. I'm surprised how many people here liked that segment. 

The big question for me is how much is the new console going to be and will I buy it at launch? All the talk of streaming got me nervous but I'm glad to see they're making proper hardware. For the first time in forever, I'm not sure if I want it enough. Will it be expensive?  If it's £700, I'm definitely out. If it's £500, I might be. If it's £400, I'm still in. 

Right, now I've calmed down a bit and had my tea. I thought that  was ok, absolutely needed more gameplay as everyone and his dog has said but some lovely stuff there like Spiritfarer and other for my daughter and gamepass for pc I could well be tempted by. If you have an xbox you have to be happy with that but certainly nothing to make me want to go and buy one again now though.

Cyberpunk looks bloody brilliant but I'll play that on pc. Very, very interested in the new hardware and of course Halo (I can't help it, they play that music and it makes me go all funny).

Oh and of course...Keanu! Best thing ever.  :lol::wub:

Do remember that when they talked about Scarlett and said it was "4 times the power" well that is a terrible metric to use. Firstly It's CPU will be way, way better than the Xbox's. Those jaguar cores were shite when they were used years ago, Zen 2 is massively better. Meanwhile, the GPU is based on Navi and that should, at the most, provide the same sort of rasterization power as the 1080 did.  Also saying that the machine can do ray tracing in real time is just a bunch of talk as current machines could do that, they just cannot do it well because, unlike RTX cards, they don't have hardware designed to run ray tracing specifically. Navi can do ray tracing, just not well, old 10 series GTX cards can do ray tracing...just not very well.

Despite this big jump in power you might not actually feel that it is such a leap because you burn huge amounts of power when rendering stuff at high resolutions. Thankfully though the extra power does mean that we might see the back of dynamic resolutions.

39 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

I just did the convert to ultimate gamepass thing for a quid and apparently I have it until 2024, umm "locked in" then.

Are you sure it's not 2022? When I signed up it mentioned 36 months max. 

10 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Do remember that when they talked about Scarlett and said it was "4 times the power" well that is a terrible metric to use. Firstly It's CPU will be way, way better than the Xbox's. Those jaguar cores were shite when they were used years ago, Zen 2 is massively better. Meanwhile, the GPU is based on Navi and that should, at the most, provide the same sort of rasterization power as the 1080 did.  Also saying that the machine can do ray tracing in real time is just a bunch of talk as current machines could do that, they just cannot do it well because, unlike RTX cards, they don't have hardware designed to run ray tracing specifically. Navi can do ray tracing, just not well, old 10 series GTX cards can do ray tracing...just not very well.

Despite this big jump in power you might not actually feel that it is such a leap because you burn huge amounts of power when rendering stuff at high resolutions. Thankfully though the extra power does mean that we might see the back of dynamic resolutions.

Microsoft's spiel mentions hardware accelerated ray-tracing specifically. 

Paired with high bandwidth GDDR6 memory, and a next generation solid state drive (SSD), Project Scarlett will provide developers the power they require to bring their creative visions to life. Featuring hardware accelerated raytracing, variable refresh rate, 8K capability and ultra-low latency input, Project Scarlett will deliver a new level of fidelity, precision and accuracy never before seen in console gaming

Maybe it's Navi+ RTXish technogubbins. 

58 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Isn't it just remote play? 

I got the impression they were talking about streaming from your home console to anywhere, even outside your home LAN. So yeah, remote play, but a bit more remote than the current Xbox app provides (without advanced technical jiggery-pokery).

That was a good conference with stacks of new game announcements. I thought maybe we would get a bit more info on the next gen but that will be at next years E3. Launching with Halo is a great move.

Keanu in Cyberpunk was the WTF moment for me.