Jump to content
rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

Recommended Posts

On 24/10/2019 at 13:28, mansizerooster said:

Anyone got Mark Cerny's number? I have a cracking idea for PS5.

 

Ok so you know how they're saying you'll have more granular control over what sections of the game install? What about if, as soon as you buy the game, you can play it on PSNow, until the bit you want is installed, then it seamlessly transitions from the streamed game to your locally installed copy - same game state, saves etc? From then on it can keep installing the rest of the game in the background.

 

It'll give you instant access to the games you buy, with no need to wait on downloading and installing!

won't your psnow lag to hell when your connection is being maxxed out as the PS5 is trying to download the game at same time it is streaming it to you?

 

EDIT - or if it is a disc copy updating with a day one patch of multi-gig in size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Clipper said:

won't your psnow lag to hell when your connection is being maxxed out as the PS5 is trying to download the game at same time it is streaming it to you?

 

EDIT - or if it is a disc copy updating with a day one patch of multi-gig in size.

 

I'm sure they could figure out how to throttle the download so that you have enough available bandwidth to get a decent PSNow stream. The increased download time will surely be forgivable given that you're actually playing the game anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

 

I'm sure they could figure out how to throttle the download so that you have enough available bandwidth to get a decent PSNow stream. The increased download time will surely be forgivable given that you're actually playing the game anyway.

You know you are talking about the PSN techies right ?

 

:D

 

More seriously PSNow is more dependent on latency/ping - that will be impacted even if you throttle the download as big chunks of data are coming through and your small packet of PSNow data might get "held up" more easily.

 

There is a reason that loads of online enabled games disable/suspend updates and downloads while you play them.

 

I used the Xbox remote play on my home network and that was impacted when downloads were going to the Xbox and that was when it was a local connection sharing with internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clipper said:

when your connection is being maxxed out

We are talking about PSN.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some not so super interesting news but news none the less. This comes fro a patent filing for the Dual Shock 5.

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-24-this-dualshock-5-patent-hints-at-larger-triggers-and-no-light-bar-for-sonys-next-gen-controller

 

Quote

As spotted by VentureBeat, this new filing signifies a number of changes, including that new USB-C charging point (which we already knew about), an in-built microphone at the bottom of the controller's touchpad, larger triggers, and - perhaps the biggest change so far - the apparent removal of the DualShock's lightbar.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Removal of the lightbar breaks compatibility with PSVR. Don't know how they'd get around that.

 

New PSVR controls or use your old DS4, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the bits in the dashed lines are actually part of the patent. They’re purely illustrative. When Sony patented the DS4 v2 light bar we got the same sort of thing - some never seen before, never seen since DS4 variation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

the apparent removal of the DualShock's lightbar

YES! FUCKING FINALLY! (Or, if they're not removing it after all because of PSVR, at least give us the option to turn the fucking thing off when we're not using PSVR)  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the one hand I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of new innovations there, on the other it hopefully means existing pads will be compatible. 

 

Can't believe they're keeping the touchpad. Surely one of the most useful features a controller has ever had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Pob said:

Can't believe they're keeping the touchpad. Surely one of the most useful features a controller has ever had.

 

You can't believe they're keeping something useful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, petrolgirls said:

It's worth it for firing Astrobot through the rings at the end of a level alone. One of the most satisfying things to do in a game ever 

 

It's great in Astrobot, other than that it's just used as a map / inventory button on most games I've played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, merrychan said:

 

It's great in Astrobot, other than that it's just used as a map / inventory button on most games I've played.

Yeah, but a REALLY BIG map/inventory button.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gentle tap to hide the HUD is Horizon Zero Dawn is perfect and more devs should make it easy for you to hide their bloody ugly HUDS to take a screenshot without having to go into the menus. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, deKay said:

It’s excellent as a trackpad for the on-screen keyboard.

 

Redundant though as the gyro controls are so much better. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It gives you four easy to find buttons in Elite Dangerous too. It seems like a lazy use of it, but being able to have 1 to 4 (or even more) pretty big buttons in the centre of the pad depending on the game's need is pretty handy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

 

Redundant though as the gyro controls are so much better. 


Ew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather just move my thumb around than wrangle with the whole controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It gives you four easy to find buttons in Elite Dangerous too. It seems like a lazy use of it, but being able to have 1 to 4 (or even more) pretty big buttons in the centre of the pad depending on the game's need is pretty handy.

Iirc Witcher 3 uses it the same way as menu shortcuts. With every other game from every genre nowadays wanting to be an RPG, it's an obvious but very welcome feature. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, deKay said:

I’d rather just move my thumb around than wrangle with the whole controller.


It’s quite sensitive. You end up moving the whole controller less than the distance you have to move your thumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:


It’s quite sensitive. You end up moving the whole controller less than the distance you have to move your thumb. 

 

Yeah, that's the problem. It's too sensitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.