rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

10 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Black and red. Hopefully it’s legit.

I don't think so. It's a shoddy recolour that's missed some of the white on the controller and blue light bounce along the right vent of the console itself.

It’s an internally-made O2 staff document telling them about a scheme where employees who shift the most Sony gear get entered in prize draws for Sony products, as well as things like ASOS vouchers. Unless the O2’s employee coercion division have the inside scoop on new console hardware I don’t think anyone should get too excited.

• Upvote 2

On 09/07/2020 at 13:07, monkeydog said:

I'm mildly curious as to which ends up the most power efficient.  Those are some hefty clocks the PS5 is pushing, even if the SOC is smaller than the XSX. 

Depends on how you define power efficiency, performance relative to power required to achieve that performance or absolute power used.

Xbox Series X has a 200-220V 2.2A PSU, so max power draw possible is 440-484 Watts sustained. It should not do that except in extreme circumstances like running Furmark and Prime95 (if you could ever run those on it in the first place of course).

The Xbox One X has a 1.3A PSU, so max power draw possible is 260-286 Watts sustained. It doesn't draw anywhere near that in actual gaming situations usually.

The PS5 GPU very likely runs way outside the optimum point on the power efficiency curve but has a marginally lower clocked CPU and a smaller physical chip to power.

As how inefficient RDNA 2 is beyond it's optimum efficiency is unknown, it makes it difficult to guestimate just how much more Watts it requires to sustain their chosen clocks over just going for the fixed clock option.

I'd probably bet on the Xbox Series X still requiring more Watts overall as the chip is just noticeably bigger, but it should be more efficient per Watt.

• Upvote 1

Have we not yet seen the bloke who got his hands on a PS5? Multigenerational backward compatibility confirmed. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

Rumour has it Sony’s going to announce the pricing and launch date at 9:30 pm CEST, ie in half an hour. This is from a Twitter user who has also sceptically posted a leak that the Dual Sense controller will weigh almost a kilo, so maybe his intel isn’t always it’s reliable.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Rumour has it Sony’s going to announce the pricing and launch date at 9:30 pm CEST, ie in half an hour. This is from a Twitter user who has also sceptically posted a leak that the Dual Sense controller will weigh almost a kilo, so maybe his intel isn’t always it’s reliable.

Makes more sense they would do it at their august event and after the xbox event I would have thought but hey lets see

Maybe it’s a really bad price and they want us to forget before it comes out.

Maybe they want us to have time to get really fucking jacked to lift the controller.

• Upvote 2

It seems that what has actually happened is that web sites have put up some “register your interest” pages. :lol: 

That’s reassuring, the controller probably doesn’t weigh a kilo either.

I

33 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Maybe they want us to have time to get really fucking jacked to lift the controller.

useful stuff: exercise during the next five years of lockdown.

A kilo would probably have meant a bloody good battery though.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

A kilo would probably have meant a bloody good battery though.

Or really strong haptics with some interesting astrobot challenges “can you hold this controller still enough?”

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Maybe it’s a really bad price and they want us to forget before it comes out.

Anything to take the heat off the fuck ugly design of the console.

What if the aesthetic is meant to distract us from something else. Maybe it has a terrible smell.

• Upvote 8

It’s actually a shell to lull everyone into a false sense of security, and at the price reveal they’re going to say “it can be £600 if you buy it with this skin, but we don’t want to sell you that...”

Then they tear off the camouflage and show a version that’s half the size in all dimensions and costs £300.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

BS then!

I expect more details on the launch games and perhaps the pricing in their August State of Play. Some new reveals as well.

• Upvote 1

Aye but when are they going to announce dat disc-based ps1-4 back-compat?!?

For real though, there are actual whispers of 1-3 back-compat via PSNow streaming. They just need to roll Now into the Plus subscription and everyone's a winner.

They don’t even have PSone classics on PS4, and despite a respectable PS2 emulator on that system only a few publishers have taken advantage of it for PS2 classics. Even if the tech was there I don’t think there’s the will on the publisher side to just do it or on Sony’s side to push them.

9m consoles is a lot more than the PS4 sold in its first few months. I wonder if they’re cocky or the price is going to be better than expected.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

9m consoles is a lot more than the PS4 sold in its first few months. I wonder if they’re cocky or the price is going to be better than expected.

Two different models of course so it will be interesting what kind of ratio they’ll be manufacturing and also which will be harder to get hold of. I’m guessing it will be the digital version which I hope/expect is very competitively priced. 

On 13/07/2020 at 21:00, Alex W. said:

What if the aesthetic is meant to distract us from something else. Maybe it has a terrible smell.

Do NOT lick this console

34 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Do NOT lick this console

Unlike Switch cards, the chances of someone swallowing a PS5 is very, very slim.

More likely they'd coat it in grease so you can't wield it and bludgeon someone to death...