rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I didn't. it got very repetitive and I hate the controls. Mushy and imprecise. Not to mention the world just feels like a set.. no real interactivity its all just for show.

I know I'm alone but I find the series really, really shallow. I love RDR2 though, so go figure.

That makes sense. Never played RDR2, but I enjoyed the first one. Slow paced and a lot more relaxing to play.

6 hours ago, Majora said:

I've completed about ten of those games and they all took me waaaay longer to beat than those times listed there. Are those times just to mainline the story and do absolutely nothing else?

I hope Last of Us Remastered is longer than that because if that's true I'm 2/3rds through and the much praised plot could so far be described as "Man tries to save 3 women, fails twice".

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

If that £349 price for the digital version is correct I think I’m going to get that one, that’s an amazing price. 

That same guess in the thread also thought it'd be cheaper here than in the US, which I'm taking as an indication of its likely accuracy.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Most rumours are below that and stating a £100 difference between the two versions, that would make the disc version £550 - I can’t see that happening. These are mass market devices and they will not gain traction at those prices. They’ll take a hit on the hardware if they have to, especially the digital version. 

The PS4 and PS4 Pro launched at £349. The PS5 has an SSD that's going to cost more than the HDD they currently use. Then there's the fact that our currency is fucked.

Just now, Super Craig said:

The PS4 and PS4 Pro launched at £349. The PS5 has an SSD that's going to cost more than the HDD they currently use. Then there's the fact that our currency is fucked.

Yep, I'm expecting £449 for the full fat version, and £100 drop to the download only.

10 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Then there's the fact that our currency is fucked.

Which is why releasing it at a higher price would mean a lot less sales.

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Which is why releasing it at a higher price would mean a lot less sales.

I don’t think you really understand the meaning of currency is fucked. Why sell a console that’s in short supply at $350 in the U.K. when you can sell it for $500 in the US?

25 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

Yep, I'm expecting £449 for the full fat version, and £100 drop to the download only.

£350 would be knee tremblingly good. I think that would push enough people to get it and then pay the £65 pound a game that a few people have already said they're happy to pay.

I still think the all digital version will be 400 though.

If there is more than a £50 difference  between the two Versions I will eat my last pencil.

1 minute ago, Harrisown said:

If there is more than a £50 difference  between the two Versions I will eat my last pencil.

Ditto. I'd bet a bollock on it.

22 minutes ago, footle said:

I don’t think you really understand the meaning of currency is fucked. Why sell a console that’s in short supply at $350 in the U.K. when you can sell it for $500 in the US?

The economy is fucked worldwide, but that’s besides the point. The idea of two models is so that you can sell one, the digital version you really want to sell, for a much more affordable price than the higher end model. 

Or from another perspective, Project Lockhart/series is rumoured to be priced a lot less still - like sub £300 - if you want to be competitive you can’t have your ‘cheaper’ console priced at £150-£200 more. 

PS5 Digital will be £349-£399 and PS5 full fat £449-£499, and I’m leaning towards £379 max top end for digital. 

• Empathy 1

Just now, robotattack said:

Ditto. I'd bet a bollock on it.

The PeteBrant guarantee!

• Upvote 1

There’s no way there will only be a £50 difference, they’re pushing digital at the start of this gen for a reason. 

The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro cost about £350 with a bundled game at Argos today. Expecting any of the next gen consoles to launch near that price is madness.

Series S, probably. Microsoft didn’t temporarily knock £100 off the One X bundles for nothing.

Edit - the Switch is still £280! Microsoft and Sony can probably justify more than a £70 price gap in the customer’s mind.

16 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

The PeteBrant guarantee!

Worth its weight in gold . Unfortunately A small shrivelled golden testicle Doesn’t weigh very much . 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro cost about £350 with a bundled game at Argos today. Expecting any of the next gen consoles to launch near that price is madness.

Series S, probably. Microsoft didn’t temporarily knock £100 off the One X bundles for nothing.

Edit - the Switch is still £280! Microsoft and Sony can probably justify more than a £70 price gap in the customer’s mind.

Xbox One X and  PS4 Pro aren’t the base line, you can pick those up for more than £100 less (PS4 and One S, probably more for the SAD). 

I mean let’s be honest if the Series S isn’t cheap than what’s the point when you can buy the same games for a regular Xbox One S? There has to be a sweet spot where the new features are viewed as being of value to the mass market. 

Going by the fact the PS4 Pro is still selling at $399/£349 and the conversion of $399 (at the moment) is £320, that implies you take the US price, convert it and add 9% to it for the UK price for Sony's pricing methods.

$399 = £320 + 9% = £349

$449 = £360 +9% = £392

$499 = £399 + 9% = £436

$549 = £440 +9% = £480

$599 = £480 + 9% = £523

My predictions:

$449 - $499 , £399 - £429 (Digital Edition)

$549 - $599, £479 - £499 (Disc Edition)

• Upvote 1

£399 and £499 respectively.

Let’s face it, they don’t really want you to be buying discs anymore so why not go the full hundred quid difference to promote digital?

1 minute ago, AI1 said:

Going by the fact the PS4 Pro is still selling at $399/£349 and the conversion of $399 (at the moment) is £320, that implies you take the US price, convert it and add 9% to it for the UK price for Sony's pricing methods.

$399 = £320 + 9% = £349

$449 = £360 +9% = £392

$499 = £399 + 9% = £436

$549 = £440 +9% = £480

$599 = £480 + 9% = £523

My predictions:

The only reason the pro and PS4 don’t match the is price dollar for pounds is because you can’t  put the price of those items up to account for currency fluctuations ( they forecast that with the launch price )

If you look at Apple , it’s dollars to pounds now , and there no reason to think Sony and ms will be any different . The only difference being we will have the vat included and the us price won’t include sales tax. 

• Upvote 3

I think it might be worse than that for the consoles. Apple can adjust their pricing on phones every year and tablets and laptops every 18 months. Sony and Microsoft will be living with the RRP for these consoles for at least two years. They have to hedge for further losses in the value of the pound.

• Upvote 2

I bet 3 bollocks (not mine) my predictions won't be that far off. These companies have a history of losing money (if absolutely necessary) on hardware to sell software, subs, etc. No one, (apart from a tiny minority) is willing to pay £65+ for games to go with a £600+ games console.

The bonkers PS3 in 2006 with its cutting edge Cell processor and ultra-expensive Blu-Ray drive and memory card reader and built in PS2 hardware and 60gb HDD and nvidia GPU card bolted on at the last minute, etc, etc, cost Sony $840 to manufacture and they sold it to retailers for $600 with a loss of $240 per unit sold. Do we really think that the PS5 will cost $840 to manufacture in 2020 with its many PC components bulk bought by the millions with massive customer discount?

If Sony can get a sizable % of people on board with the digital edition (which looks a lot nicer, funny that) and with a £100 price discount over the disc edition at around £399 forcing owners to pay through the nose at PSN store prices (£69+ for the latest release, yay), they'll be laughing their heads off even if the hardware costs £599 to build (which it won't).

• Upvote 1

Sony announces £499 and £559 models.

Rllmuk goes :blink::quote::doh::mad: and then says “....oh alright then”

Silly people pay 65 quid for games. Smart people Get 65 quid credit for 55 quid and high five their friends.

When the PS4 came out Killzone and Cod Ghosts were £59.99 each in game. Launch prices always take the piss cus you've only got a handful of choices. Luckily Resogun was so good that kept me busy for the first 6 months and I still had my 360 set up. With decent back compatability this time I'll be in no rush to buy games at 50-60 quid a pop 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Imagine paying £55 for a game and thinking you got a good deal. 

Some games are worth it. If your experienced enough you can look at some footage or read reviews etc and figure out if something’s worth it.

I feel I am my own expert judge because I know what I like and don’t like and I ‘get’ how games work on a broader scale.

4 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Some games are worth it. If your experienced enough you can look at some footage or read reviews etc and figure out if something’s worth it.

I feel I am my own expert judge because I know what I like and don’t like and I ‘get’ how games work on a broader scale.

Which games do you think are worth £55?

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I don’t really want to get into a “Harry’s toP £55 games” debate but upon release GTA V and RDR 2 would make the list absolutely.

9 hours ago, AI1 said:

$399 = £320 + 9% = £349

$449 = £360 +9% = £392

$499 = £399 + 9% = £436

$549 = £440 +9% = £480

$599 = £480 + 9% = £523

My predictions:

For practically every console launched since the Euro was introduced the way console pricing has worked is that they replace the dollar symbol with a euro symbol and base the UK price on the European prices. 

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Imagine paying £55 for a game and thinking you got a good deal. 

Imagine not understanding inflation .

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Which lever ones I am happy with the value for money , and that is entirely subjective . 

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Imagine not understanding inflation .

How much were microtransactions in 1993?

• Upvote 2