rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

As a quick aside, every time a developer releases a new COD that costs £60 and has microtransactions and they’ve got a Fortnite seasons system, the “gamer” reaction is like they’ve just changed the pricing and composition of their diabetes medication. “I can’t believe they’re making me spend more money for a worse game,” as they go ahead and buy it. Just don’t buy it! If people didn’t think that an online FPS was an identity and stopped showing up, the publishers would stop doing it pretty quickly.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I think the viable future for sub-AAA is probably a game like Control, where it's as much a platform for telling a bunch of stories in one universe as it is a single game.

And deals with Epic apparently. ;)

13 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Is that so? Not doubting it, just astonished.

Edit: No, I am doubting it. Surely not?

I think I may be in that range on PS4. The only games I bought at launch/retail price were:

Gran Turismo Sport

The Last Guardian

Ace Combat 7

Tetris Effect

Astro Bot

No Man’s Sky

Wipeout Omega

...and I think I would be considered a gamer by most people. With the other games I bought on sale or as cheap digital releases (Polybius, HZD) it would still leave the total at less than 10 in the PS4’s lifespan so far.

edit - OK I forgot Rez Infinite and Lumines Remastered.

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

You're going to see a lot less big single player games full of bespoke content this generation due to the costs, and to make sure they sell, those games are going to be sprawling 50-200 hour epics or the appetiser for a multiplayer mode. The days of the 8-hour AAA SP campaign are over, it's just not economical to put the engineering work required in and not make a ton of content on top, unless all that engineering work goes into an online mode that can generate money.

This just seems counter intuative. Surely the bigger/longer you make the game, the more the costs increase, however there is still only a set price range that you can sell within. Additionally I thought the general concensus was that outside of some really big tent pole releases SP games have been getting shorter and shorter over time. The biggest games of this gen have been nowhere near 50 hours long (at least for inital completion). Also all the data that I've seen bandied around suggests that most people don't get anywhere near completing most games they buy and that in reality a developer might as well have only pu 5-8 hours content in.

the 8-hr campaign IS the appetiser for MP, though.

if people are only buying a few games, it makes sense to try to get them hooked to your title.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

. The biggest games of this gen have been nowhere near 50 hours long (at least for inital completion). Also all the data that I've seen bandied around suggests that most people don't get anywhere near completing most games they buy and that in reality a developer might as well have only pu 5-8 hours content in.

I’m not sure that’s true . The biggest sellers this gen , certainly on ps , have all been Between the 30-70 hour mark . In fact the top 15 are all that sort of length . 

4 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Additionally, that guy needed a dentist.

:blah:

Edit - Oh - he has them :doh:

24 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m not sure that’s true . The biggest sellers this gen , certainly on ps , have all been Between the 30-70 hour mark . In fact the top 15 are all that sort of length . 

So from wikipedia The top 15 are with cross references of time from Time to Beat for the main story.

1) GTA5 - 31 hours

2) Uncharted 4 - 15 hours 

3) Marvel's Spider-man - 16 hours

4) The Witcher 3 - 51 hours

5) God of War - 20.5 hours.

6) The Last of Us Remastered - 14.5 hours

7) Horizon Zero Dawn - 22.5 hours

8) Gran Turismo Sport - 11 hours **

9) Monster Hunter World - 49 hours

10) The Last of Us Part 2 - 22 hours

11) Final Fantasy VII remake 33.5 hours

12) Persona 5 - 97 hours

13) Detroit Become Human - 12 hours

14) Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - 14.5 hours

15) Final Fantasy XV - 28 hours

So from looking at that the majority are less than 30 hours, with 50+ hours being real outliers. To be fair I'm surprised some of those games are actually that long.

Something that's obviously pretty difficult to get hold of is how long the majority of players actually played those games for.

• Upvote 1

I've completed about ten of those games and they all took me waaaay longer to beat than those times listed there. Are those times just to mainline the story and do absolutely nothing else?

I don't know Time to Beat as a source? Is that someone with predetermined knowledge ploughing through only the essential quests in order to see the final story cutscene? I'd be surprised if many people beat UC4 in 15 hours on their first go, for example.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't know Time to Beat as a source? Is that someone with predetermined knowledge ploughing through only the essential quests in order to see the final story cutscene? I'd be surprised if many people beat UC4 in 15 hours on their first go, for example.

It's user-reported and averaged out. It's probably on the lower side- the sort of people who report to game completion time sites are probably pretty game-savvy.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

We had a topic on it recently. It Lists all kinds of data with regards to timings, so it has a median and shortest - longest times across, campaign, campaign +extras. completioninst.

Example here is God of Wars entry https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=38050

Admittedly it's all self report from a number of people but it's the best resource I can find. 

Conversly to @Majora the three games I've completed on that list (HZD, God of War an Spider-man) I took less time than I've quoted from Time to Beat, and yes they are just the main storyline. 

EDIT: Just remembered that I've also completed TLOU:Remastered, no idea how long that took me but I did just try and get it over with so probably less time than that again.

41 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

So from wikipedia The top 15 are with cross references of time from Time to Beat for the main story.

1) GTA5 - 31 hours

2) Uncharted 4 - 15 hours 

3) Marvel's Spider-man - 16 hours

4) The Witcher 3 - 51 hours

5) God of War - 20.5 hours.

6) The Last of Us Remastered - 14.5 hours

7) Horizon Zero Dawn - 22.5 hours

8) Gran Turismo Sport - 11 hours **

9) Monster Hunter World - 49 hours

10) The Last of Us Part 2 - 22 hours

11) Final Fantasy VII remake 33.5 hours

12) Persona 5 - 97 hours

13) Detroit Become Human - 12 hours

14) Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - 14.5 hours

15) Final Fantasy XV - 28 hours

So from looking at that the majority are less than 30 hours, with 50+ hours being real outliers. To be fair I'm surprised some of those games are actually that long.

Something that's obviously pretty difficult to get hold of is how long the majority of players actually played those games for.

I think most, of not all of those time to beat hours are somewhat inaccurate .. having played all of them except crash , I can comfortably add at least 50% to every estimate. 

43 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The list says “ time to complete main story “ so I assume ignores any side quests etc . 

If that £349 price for the digital version is correct I think I’m going to get that one, that’s an amazing price. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

If that £349 price for the digital version is correct I think I’m going to get that one, that’s an amazing price. 

Where did you hear that? Good price if true.

19E264ED-C6A8-4B0B-AF51-3A3B8DDBEFB2.thumb.jpeg.d7a971c77e20b9a0e75090bd046a56b6.jpeg

the problem taking the Main Story figure is that this is GTA. Who the hell just main lines a GTA game. Your lucky to find someone who actually does the main story.

As for the discussion on a price. For the last 20 years or so I’ve said £1 per hour = value for money. However it’s a bit more complicated than that. A good game time for me is probably around the 18 hour mark. That’s meaty. Let’s face it, anything around the 50-75 hour mark is full of sub par shite. Might be a great game but there’s no doubt a lot to filler in there.

• Empathy 1

42 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

19E264ED-C6A8-4B0B-AF51-3A3B8DDBEFB2.thumb.jpeg.d7a971c77e20b9a0e75090bd046a56b6.jpeg

the problem taking the Main Story figure is that this is GTA. Who the hell just main lines a GTA game. Your lucky to find someone who actually does the main story.

As for the discussion on a price. For the last 20 years or so I’ve said £1 per hour = value for money. However it’s a bit more complicated than that. A good game time for me is probably around the 18 hour mark. That’s meaty. Let’s face it, anything around the 50-75 hour mark is full of sub par shite. Might be a great game but there’s no doubt a lot to filler in there.

Everyone I know who bought the game(GTA V) played it till the very end. Why wouldn't you?

While we were having this discussion today my son has spent $20 on a Captain America skin for Fortnite. I can see why traditional game developers could be tearing their hair out when we’re arguing over the value of full games while Epic are raking it in. 

• Upvote 1

There's no way that any version of the PS5 is going to have an RRP/MSRP of under £400 at launch. That's nuts.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

There's no way that any version of the PS5 is going to have an RRP/MSRP of under £400 at launch. That's nuts.

I really think it will or it’s dead in the water - no console on the market has done well over £400. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I really think it will or it’s dead in the water - no console on the market has done well over £400. 

It's not going to happen. Both consoles will be £450+

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not going to happen. Both consoles will be £450+

Most rumours are below that and stating a £100 difference between the two versions, that would make the disc version £550 - I can’t see that happening. These are mass market devices and they will not gain traction at those prices. They’ll take a hit on the hardware if they have to, especially the digital version. 

59 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Everyone I know who bought the game(GTA V) played it till the very end. Why wouldn't you?

I didn't. it got very repetitive and I hate the controls. Mushy and imprecise. Not to mention the world just feels like a set.. no real interactivity its all just for show.

I know I'm alone but I find the series really, really shallow. I love RDR2 though, so go figure.

34 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I didn't. it got very repetitive and I hate the controls. Mushy and imprecise. Not to mention the world just feels like a set.. no real interactivity its all just for show.

I know I'm alone but I find the series really, really shallow. I love RDR2 though, so go figure.

I always thought the shallowness was part of the schtick to be honest! I loved it, but it's a cold, dead thing compared to the wonder of RDR2 for me :)

• Upvote 1