rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is that a Panasonic plasma? I have a 50" one which picks up IR quite easily. The 5 year older 42" Pioneer model it replaced was bullet-proof, never picked up anything. Pioneer plasma tech was way ahead of the competition, even after Panasonic picked up some of their tech and engineers.

Samsung PS51D6900, so released in 2011 or 12. I’ve had mine almost 8 years now

@petrolgirls I was under the impression 2K was the specific marketing term for one specific format (from memory 2040*1080) but happily defer to your expertise. I only really deal with broadcast resolutions with any frequency. Similarly to how 4K and UHD are often used interchangeably, but technically mean slightly different things.

On 22/06/2020 at 22:41, Popo said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that PS4 backward compatibility will equate to PS4 Pro equivalence? Will we be setting games that sort it running at 4K/60fps? I haven’t been able to find that particular info.

The only real information other than in Cerny's talk was their blog post afterwards:

IMG_20200320_185350.jpg

And I guess, sort of, that they've told devs any PS4 games released July onwards have to work with PS5 day one.

Would love more detail on this stuff, maybe they'll let digital foundry loose on it closer to launch as a PR thing.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

@petrolgirls I was under the impression 2K was the specific marketing term for one specific format (from memory 2040*1080) but happily defer to your expertise. I only really deal with broadcast resolutions with any frequency. Similarly to how 4K and UHD are often used interchangeably, but technically mean slightly different things.

If you'll excuse the diversion - this is Flame's (vfx compositing software) default resolutions along with labels. You can see there's 10 different '2K' options, several of which are sub-2000 pixels. I'd say classic 2K would generally be considered as super35mm 2K (2048x1556) - that was the resolution film would normally always get scanned and worked on. Until recently most films were ultimately mastered at 2K scope (2048x858) - that's the resolution most '4K' films are being upressed from, absurdly.

61969FBF-0C1F-4538-9067-34F1E22DBCDC.thumb.jpeg.3cc7dafc2a76decce9bb87d0ea1c3217.jpeg

2K literally just means about 2000 pixels wide, marketing people notwithstanding. 

• Upvote 8

Just say 1080p/1440p/2160p

Problem solved! Those are only the vertical res but everyone knows what they mean

• Upvote 2

I preferred it when images were measured in lines...

N64 had 64 of them and that was circa PS2 era, which puts the PS3 at 128-bit. The PS4 skipped the 256-bit standard as that was taken by encryption so it went to 512. The PS5 is a 1024-bit system.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, wretcherd said:

How many "bits" do the new consoles have?

I’m no expert but I think the “bits” in old consoles referred to the CPU and/or GPU bus size? The amount of data that could be fetched and processed in one cycle? In which case the PS5 is a 256-bit console (apparently).

7 hours ago, Meat said:

N64 had 64 of them and that was circa PS2 era, which puts the PS3 at 128-bit. The PS4 skipped the 256-bit standard as that was taken by encryption so it went to 512. The PS5 is a 1024-bit system.

the Xbox series x is listed as 2048-bit, but it’ll turn out that that’s the width of the bus between the CPU and GPU, because of all the extra data being moved around, slathered in special sauce, and that the silicon itself is only 1024-bit.

Wasn’t the PS2 memory bus 2056-bit? We should have at least, like, 2070 bits by now.

How many colours can these new consoles display on-screen at one time :blah:

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, simms said:

All of them, plus half-bright colours.

but only 4096 per line. Hold and Modify.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, wretcherd said:

The only real information other than in Cerny's talk was their blog post afterwards:

IMG_20200320_185350.jpg

Have they got the work experience kid working on this?

they "believe"?

also, who's going to update the titles from studios they themselves closed?

By which I mean Evolution and  DriveClub, obviously.

On 23/06/2020 at 20:54, Calashnikov said:

I already have it installed on my PS4 Slim, aiming to play it March next year :lol: If digital PS4 purchases could be transferred over and played on PS5 with a boost in performance that’d be ideal. 

A PS4 lifecycle's worth of free PS+ games would be enormous. Surely they should also offer a 10TB edition?

2 hours ago, simms said:

Up to 68,719,476,736.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, letsbook said:

A PS4 lifecycle's worth of free PS+ games would be enormous. Surely they should also offer a 10TB edition?

You can already, I think, play PS4 games from an external USB HDD. Ideally, I'd just copy all my PS4 games to one of those and plug it into the PS5. I think they said PS4 BC games wouldn't need the internal SSD.

• Upvote 1

Ive said it before and ill say it again, Sony expecting studios to ensure their older games work on the new machine is pathetic in comparison to MS having an actual team that do that and put improvements in place. it shows what an after thought it is to sony, never mind the bullshit of expecting devs to make any games that are getting certified now having to work on it it too! 

• Upvote 2

I'd imagine they are using some sort of emulation layer that improves with time, not that old games have to be specifically patched. At least, that's how the original fat Euro PS3's PS2 emu worked if we take that as a precedent. It supported the 'majority' of games (thinking it was supposed to be 80% or something, but having said that I never found one in my collection that didn't work) and improvements added with time.

35 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Up to 68,719,476,736.

8k res is 33 million pixels, so that’ll be more of a limiting factor I suspect. ;)

32 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Ive said it before and ill say it again, Sony expecting studios to ensure their older games work on the new machine is pathetic in comparison to MS having an actual team that do that and put improvements in place. it shows what an after thought it is to sony, never mind the bullshit of expecting devs to make any games that are getting certified now having to work on it it too! 

This is not quite what they are doing though. Sony are testing the games, but if issues are found the original developer will have to fix them. They're not asking the original developers to ensure their older games work.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 14:54, Darwock said:

The problem I can see with that, is the PS5 only has one standard USB port on the front. So you could plug your headset in, but not the HOTAS (or vice versa) :/

I can't believe the lesson they learned from the PS4's two-USB-port debacle was to REDUCE the number.

One of the two ports on my PS4 is tied up permanently with an expansion drive, leaving me one sole port for PSVR, racing wheel, HOTAS and Sennheiser headphone dongle.

Fortunately the latter all behave OK through a USB2 hub (and you'll only want to use any two of the four at once) but still. What a faff.

• Upvote 2