rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

Does the size of this thing matter too much? Guessing you'll be able to find somewhere to put it?! At least it must have a great cooling solution in there hopefully it will be whisper quiet which is much more preferable than having it smaller and looking prettier. Although it would be interesting to see what the Japanese make of ir! :) They usually don't like bigger consoles although it does look very futuristic.

As for how it looks you could always buy the digital version and then hide it away somewhere then you'd never have to look at it again other than to dust it perhaps :D

Since seeing it a few times don't actually mind it. It does make a welcome change from bland square black (90s looking) boxes and certainly stands out. It's a very bold organic design and wouldn't look out of place in a modern art gallery. Not to everyones taste.

However like this PS5 as an art piece. Looking forward to the first teardown videos though love to see how well designed it's internals are.

Personally I like bland boxes... My PC looks like the monolith from 2001 A Space Oddessy :) Just a large square black tower - no lights other than the blue power light and designed to be whisper quiet :)

If I did get one at some point it would be the digital version. The drive spoils the flow of the devices look IMHO. Like it's been glued on the bottom. Hope they keep a similar design for the inevitable lite version. Which is the one I'll probably end up with at some point along the line.

I would kill for this version at launch:

bosslogic_1___CBT475BJ0C0___.thumb.jpg.1f8ccd54b8d077be26b13e38462717a9.jpg

I would also take this:

bosslogic_2___CBT475BJ0C0___.thumb.jpg.670ba8c9228677cade5b25b34b9ab4ac.jpg

In fact, I would even prefer:

bosslogic___CBUXVtUphfg___.thumb.jpg.c6550b954ab3140e463a6fcf41afa4d0.jpg

bosslogic___CBXPJ8uJpuL___.thumb.jpg.b744e5417b71b83396d3f24fe1dfa212.jpg

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

How a PS5 looks in black. 

156545A3-7881-434F-8F8C-A0F74CFE393A.thumb.jpg.49ea13e9ec7b2a3c3d0dbb25e2db3e34.jpg

This is literally my Virgin superhub 2 modem/router with added flaps. It seems mad that it ever got through the committee stage.

I think Bosman is right when he suggests that the Digital version was designed first (makes more money for Sony through used/retail game death) and then the disc-based 'lump' version, which was revealed first, was actually designed second because they still need a version that supports discs - for now.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

One thing I noticed was a general lack of an HUD in each game which is nice.

That's because none of it was actual gameplay. ;) 

• Upvote 4

I’m fairly sure Sony didn’t forget and then just lump a disk drive on their new console... :blink:

Who said they forgot? His argument was they designed the console to be discless first, and then made the one that makes them less money the uglier one deliberately.

• Upvote 2

Deliberately uglyfying their own product?  

thats a reach.  That’s like console makers deliberately keeping stock tight at the beginning of a gen- it makes no financial sense.

its ugly despite their efforts, not deliberate

• Upvote 1

I think Bosman is suggesting they designed the digital version first (because the design is clearly more elegant) and then added the disc lump out of necessity for the traditional version. Maintaining the design of the digital version with its flowing lines naturally necessitates the 'lump' and that looks inherently odd or ugly in comparison. The alternative is a design that moves much further from the digital version's looks and they begin to look unrelated.

So the disc-version's design is a necessity of function and needing to be based around the digital version's form.

It's not deliberately ugly, it's an awkward compromise.

19 minutes ago, bumgut said:

Deliberately uglyfying their own product? - it makes no financial sense

It makes financial success if people go for the good looking one that makes them more money over the ugly one that doesn't.

The other thing no one but you brought up doesn't make any financial sense, no.

• Upvote 1

I quite like the look of the black version, myself.

I think the size of it is more problematic than the design - it just seems bloody huge. But then, it's still not as big by a long shot as a full-size ATX PC tower, or even my mini-ATX PC case - it's certainly a lot slimmer - and this is in spite of it packing some mid-tier gaming PC-equivalent hardware. If you want it to run cool and you want it to run quietly (and you want it to cost less than £500), then I guess this is how big it needs to be.

• Empathy 1

The PS2 and PS3 had weird asymmetric lumps. I'm not sure you need to build a story about how they've done something shady to have a weird asymmetric lump on the PS5.

Price predictions

Standard version : £450

Digial version : £500

Digital is more expensive because you like to spend more money on stuff

• Upvote 2

I haven't used my PS4 for a long time - is Sony's digital pricing still bonkers? It was £60+ for games you could pick up on physical for £40 or less when I last checked.

They're surely going to have to change that, if they haven't already, for a digital edition of the console to sell

• Empathy 1

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

A0M1mcg.jpg

Lmfao 10/10 sir :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Yeah, both of them are pretty big. The Series X seems to be the size of about 2-3 Xbox One Xs stacked on top of each other. It might be too tall for some folk's TV stands and the PS5 might be too wide.

Yeah it's a personal thing but my consoles are in the narrow IKEA Billy bookcase variant which is absolutely perfect for an Xbox One X and has a lot of head room.  So that's fine and the PS5 won't fit even though its total area might be smaller.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

I’m guessing non-disc £399.99, disk £499.99.

$100 for a UHD drive that's costs $20!

Hopefully they're the same price but the digital has larger storage because it's purely digital.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

I’m guessing non-disc £399.99, disk £499.99.

It's like what they were saying in that Digital Foundry video - even though the cost difference wouldn't be that much in terms of the disc drive (was it 40 £ or $? Can't remember), Sony might take the hit and sell the discless version for 100 less, knowing that they're locking you in to digital.

Also, has anyone photo shopped a PSVR headset next to the PS5 range? Would probably look like it belongs with that line-up.

I'm assuming connecting up an external blu-ray drive via usb will not be supported for the digital only version?

43 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

$100 for a UHD drive that's costs $20!

Yeah, it'd be more that would subsidise the digital one for future profits.

50 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Hopefully they're the same price but the digital has larger storage because it's purely digital.

Games don't play off discs anymore and are copied to the hdd regardless, drive or no drive.

The PS4 camera better work on PS5 as I really don't want to have to fork out for another £50 fucking camera to use PSVR on PS5.

PS2: For Eyetoy

PS3: For Move games 

PS4: For PSVR

Regarding the conventional wisdom around digital purchases - the last two Switch games I bought (Animal Crossing and 51 Worldwide Games) were digital codes, bought from third party online shops, for less than the eShop price. 

Would this sales avenue not be open to retailers on the PlayStation store? I confess I don’t even know if it’s possible to enter codes in the PlayStation store or what the economics are around third parties selling such codes. 

Sony don't make game codes available for resell at all now, I think. You can buy credit from the usual places, but not games. So the best deals are normally to get like £50 of credit from CD Keys for £42 or something like that.

So then you're either paying over the odds at launch or waiting for a sale. The Last of Us 2 is £55 on the Store, so I guess that's like an extra £5, or maybe a little more, over the disc retail price? And some places will discount a bit more? But if you pick up your credit discounted, which you clearly should, it's not so far away.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Who said they forgot? His argument was they designed the console to be discless first, and then made the one that makes them less money the uglier one deliberately.

Well that's a load of rubbish too!

23 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Sony don't make game codes available for resell at all now, I think. You can buy credit from the usual places, but not games. So the best deals are normally to get like £50 of credit from CD Keys for £42 or something like that.

So then you're either paying over the odds at launch or waiting for a sale. The Last of Us 2 is £55 on the Store, so I guess that's like an extra £5, or maybe a little more, over the disc retail price? And some places will discount a bit more? But if you pick up your credit discounted, which you clearly should, it's not so far away.

There always seems to be some PSN credit discounted somewhere, Shopto and doing it at the moment which you can pick up Last of Us Part 2 for £47.70 digitally which isn't that much different that physical.