rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

Just give me Horizon 2 on release day and I'll get the PS5 on release. Also my release day PS4 Pro is now a turbine engine, I just want something quieter.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stolly said:

I know it depends on what specific game you're playing but, given that in most video games you are carrying what would be a fucking huge sack/lorry load of stuff around with you, wanting just one of your available guns to clunk against something seems sa bit pedantic :rolleyes:, albeit I get your point from an immersion point of view. Slightly ironically the game this gen that I think has the best physics by far is Zelda BotW on the switch, leaving most (all) the PS4 stuff I've played for dust. Good physics isn't necessarily down to having the most oomph.

No, I don't want to see everything, what I mean is whatever they decide should be on your back or what you're carrying should interact physically with the rest of the model. 

On Modern Warfare for instance the stocks on the LMGs clip through the characters bicep when they're stood posing. It's shit like that that annoys me.

Obviously what they should be concentrating on is getting 60 frames as standard, seeing as we're asking for the moon on a stick.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No, I don't want to see everything, what I mean is whatever they decide should be on your back or what you're carrying should interact physically with the rest of the model. 

On Modern Warfare for instance the stocks on the LMGs clip through the characters bicep when they're stood posing. It's shit like that that annoys me.

Obviously what they should be concentrating on is getting 60 frames as standard, seeing as we're asking for the moon on a stick.

Monster Hunter was terrible for this but I gave them a pass as there were thousands of combinations of armour and weapons. Not ashamed to admit it affected my load out choice though.

Street Fighter 5 vs screen where the character hair intersected through their default clothes though? Shit. Try harder.

• Upvote 2

Spotted this over on GAF which is the patent for the PS5 devkit (click to make bigger):

833qxgp1eNB4N3pA7Az19KfXLKhI8wd0AiASjcII

What's interesting is 15 and 17. It's got 6 fans as cooling! Now obviously this isn't the design the actual PS5 is going with, but I guess it shows Sony is serious on cooling with that and the massive chunky heatsink.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Imagine the noise level with 6 fans :o

Number of fans don't equal noise level - 6 quiet fans will be quiet - 3 loud fans would be loud

• Upvote 3

Please be quiet, please be quiet. I hardly use my Pro at the moment because the fans are so goddawful compared to the OneX. Which is annoying as most of my games are on the latter.

20 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Number of fans don't equal noise level - 6 quiet fans will be quiet - 3 loud fans would be loud

But after a year or two of dust collecting in the rotors, quiet fans inevitably become loud fans. 

• Upvote 2

It is hilarious that the reason people are giving for wanting a PS5 is that their PS4 Pro has shoddy design and build quality.

(whereas the reason I want one is because I didn’t buy a PS4 Pro because of the shoddy design and build quality, and therefore I’m hoping to play this year’s PS4 games at 4K on it, and then crossing my fingers than horizon 2 is a launch fake and better than the usual launch games in terms of really pushing open world boundaries)

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Uzi said:

Given the same frequency the volume will increase with more fans, eg the output from six 40dB fans all on at once won’t be 40dB (some logarithmic equation). But will incorporating an algorithm for asynchronous fans reduce the superimposition of amplitudes? Lord knows.

11 minutes ago, Meat said:

Given the same frequency the volume will increase with more fans, eg the output from six 40dB fans all on at once won’t be 40dB (some logarithmic equation). But will incorporating an algorithm for asynchronous fans reduce the superimposition of amplitudes? Lord knows.

I dunno man I have maybe nine fans in my pc and it's pretty quiet (cos dey good fans) but I picked them cos they light up like a rainbow hehe 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Uzi said:

Larger fans are always quieter than smaller fans for a given amount of air flow. So you want to have few, big fans. (The Xbox 360 had two small fans to the PS3’s single huge one; for the revised Xbox 360 they switched to one big fan too.) Six ~90mm fans in that probably sound awful.

I imagine it’s just what they could come up with quickly though. Of course the actual console will be completely different. That dev kit was a bigger than the original Xbox and clearly laid out for convenience rather than efficiency.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Can’t Sony do a water cooling thing?

That just lets you move heat somewhere convenient, which is good if you have a crowded PC case with bad airflow at the hot bits but pointless in a console where you can lay out the components and cooling where you like. 

41 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Larger fans are always quieter than smaller fans for a given amount of air flow. So you want to have few, big fans. (The Xbox 360 had two small fans to the PS3’s single huge one; for the revised Xbox 360 they switched to one big fan too.) Six ~90mm fans in that probably sound awful.

I imagine it’s just what they could come up with quickly though. Of course the actual console will be completely different. That dev kit was a bigger than the original Xbox and clearly laid out for convenience rather than efficiency.

With single APU solutions and fairly cramped plastic case console design at a budget - I agree with you. I was talking more generally (as the whole discussion was about a dev kit not a console) - otherwise you would see high end PC components with one large as possible fan each instead of multiples if that rule was absolute - there is a balance struck somewhere with RPM/airflow I guess 0 lots of cheap small fans with high RPM would sound pretty awful.  Interestingly the Series X being more of a console tower design - does that still have one big fan for the entire motherboard and components?

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Interestingly the Series X being more of a console tower design - does that still have one big fan for the entire motherboard and components?

Yes, at the top:

XBOX-SERIES-X-d.jpg

I suspect we will see the design of the PS5 at the rescheduled event – which I could see happening next week, to avoid leaks – then a separate teardown video looking at the internals at a later date.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Yes, at the top:

XBOX-SERIES-X-d.jpg

I suspect we will see the design of the PS5 at the rescheduled event – which I could see happening next week, to avoid leaks – then a separate teardown video looking at the internals at a later date.

Thank you - as big as the initial media made the console look it still seems pretty compact but that beefy heatsink being there too will definitely help. I assume the screencap is from digital foundry (richard's sexy bicep there) so will go check that out 

I really do like the design of that new Xbox.

It’s a shame they don’t do exclusives anymore

I loved the Oldbox for how it received PC ports the PS2 couldn't run, mostly outputting at 480/720 in NTSC with a chip, along with plenty of original games as a new console. But the Halos, Forzas and Gears have bored me for years, and Sea of Thieves is their only breakthrough this gen.

Which is a shame, because if the SX is quieter than the PS5 I'd much rather have it. Sony's software with Microsoft's online services and hardware.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Uzi said:

With single APU solutions and fairly cramped plastic case console design at a budget - I agree with you. I was talking more generally (as the whole discussion was about a dev kit not a console) - otherwise you would see high end PC components with one large as possible fan each instead of multiples if that rule was absolute - there is a balance struck somewhere with RPM/airflow I guess 0 lots of cheap small fans with high RPM would sound pretty awful.  Interestingly the Series X being more of a console tower design - does that still have one big fan for the entire motherboard and components?

I think it’s still quieter to use fewer, larger fans where the form factor allows. You see multiple fans on high end PC components like graphics cards because there’s no space to put a single larger one on there. The name of the game is lowering the speed the fan has to turn at. Although it’s been a while since I was a quiet PC nut.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I really do like the design of that new Xbox.

It’s a shame they don’t do exclusives anymore

Give them time, they went on a buying spree back in 2018, buying five studios (including Double Fine, who are brilliant).

I would hope that we would see some of the fruits of that buying spree when the XSX hits.

7 hours ago, Uzi said:

Your PC problem is that you have lots of heat sources, all of which need to be cooled in any configuration. When your customer base is going to put them in anything from a microatx cube to a full desktop tower, and may not put fans in sensibly at all, you can’t take an integrated approach to cooling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Give them time, they went on a buying spree back in 2018, buying five studios (including Double Fine, who are brilliant).

I would hope that we would see some of the fruits of that buying spree when the XSX hits.

The studios they bought give me hope that we'll see something that appeals to me more than their standard lineup - the Halos, Gears, and Forzas don't do it for me at all*. But I love most of Double Fine's and Obsidian's output so I'm hopeful.

Regardless, looking back at the current gen the platform exclusive games that I really enjoyed are only a tiny fraction of my total playlist. So, as things stand right now I'm continuing what I'm doing right now with the X1X, PS4, and Switch. Due to the power difference, build quality, and silent hardware (and Game Pass tbf) I'm playing all 3rd party on the X and I'm assuming, looking at the raw numbers alongside recent precedents, that it will be the same with XsX. Play the vast majority of games on XsX for better performance and the build quality of the hardware, and the PS5 and Switch are exclusively for exclusives.

This only works if you're willing to buy all platforms each generation of course :D And who knows, it may play out completely different once the upcoming generation gets going. I'm less than impressed with the build quality of the PS4 Pro but hopefully they learned from looking at the X - ridiculously powerful yet somehow also compact and silent.  This gen I started out with the PS4 as my primary platform but switched halfway through once the X came out and the BC programme impressed the fuck out of me. But owning all platforms from the get go means it's no big deal either way :)

*To balance things out, the Uncharteds and everything similar don't do it for me either. I like them more than the 90s American teen appeal of Gears and the like, but if I couldn't play them I wouldn't mind. The must haves on PlayStation are Spider-Man 2 and Demon's Souls for me :D And hopefully Bloodborne 2 of course.

Can’t Sony just do whatever MS do to keep the One X and, allegedly, Series X as quiet as a doormouse?

4 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Can’t Sony just do whatever MS do to keep the One X and, allegedly, Series X as quiet as a doormouse?

They really should just release one platform together. Perfection :chefskiss:

edit: bring Sega in also and call it the Sega Station X Turbo :doublechefskiss:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

They really should just release one platform together. Perfection :chefskiss:

We’ll all be subscribed to gaming streaming services sooner or later, and that’ll be the end of consoles I guess.

15 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Well, yeah. There’s no secret magic, just good design. Microsoft has the better track record in the thermal design of their consoles this past generation but Sony have clearly been thinking about it a lot for PS5.

20 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

It's only comparable silence. I've still had to replace a One X because it sounded like it was taking off. My new one is much quieter but still, I had to fight with Amazon to get a replacement.

• Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Well, yeah. There’s no secret magic, just good design. Microsoft has the better track record in the thermal design of their consoles this past generation but Sony have clearly been thinking about it a lot for PS5.

The PS4 Slim is pretty much silent, but obviously not chucking around as much power as the OneX.

8 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

The PS4 Slim is pretty much silent, but obviously not chucking around as much power as the OneX.

Hmm, they’re not consistently silent. Mine has plenty of specific games it gets noticeably audible on, and there are some people who have no end of trouble with the noise from theirs, and some people for whom it’s silent. It’s likely to be a mixture of chip to chip variation, something MS dealt with on the OneX by design, and simple quality control. I don’t think Sony are bad at designing their machines to have an acceptable noise level but Microsoft clearly has an edge there just now.