rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

I really like when viewed face on the d-pad and face buttons look completely flat, it’s a nice bit of design. 

I think the USB C port could be multi purpose. An adapter could allow for a traditional headphone port for different or non Bluetooth headsets. 

I'm really intrigued by the 3D audio cabapilties of this system. More so than the graphics race this time round. 

I like it, the PS4 controller is possibly my all-time favourite to use so sticking closely to that was what I'd hoped for. Like the 2-Tone colour scheme too, intrigued to see what the console looks like now.

I see the controller has a mic, so I assume there is also a "mute all" button on it somewhere? 

Of course the real issue nobody wants to address is how awful that D-Pad will be for special move inputs in fighting games. And when can I get six face buttons as a standard design feature? :P 

1 minute ago, Purin said:

I see the controller has a mic, so I assume there is also a "mute all" button on it somewhere? 

The little horizontal button under the "PS" logo and near the mic symbol, which on closer inspection has a line through it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Purin said:

I'm assuming it is that button just above it?

Edit - @Alex W. beat me to it.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

The little horizontal button under the "PS" logo and near the mic sybol, which on closer inspection has a line through 

I don't want to mute myself, I want to mute the rest of the human race. 

• Upvote 5

56 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

When Half-Life Alyx appears on PSVR2, it will all be worth it.

I personally love VR, though I certainly don't play it as much as I shuld due to the faff of getting it up and running. (To be fair, that faff is only a minute or two...)

Alyx looks like red dead 2. I watched a play through or two and people are still messing up basic inputs hours into the game because motion controls are still shite. I’m don’t mind the screen on my face for a bit, but it’s the shitty waggle 2.0 controls I can’t be bothered with. I want to play games by waving my hands about nearly as much as I want to play chess by wandering around a life sized board.

• Empathy 2

Hmm, I'm surprised by the lack of back buttons/paddles. Now the DS4 Back Button attachment really doesn't seem to make much sense. Making those back buttons available to all, rather than exclusively for some super expensive 'pro' controller, seemed it would've been a good move for Sony.

I just hope the controller lasts longer than 6 months before stick drift starts. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th PS4 controller, they're pretty much disposable.

After my recent D-pad query, it looks like they've basically abandoned it as a means to control games. This one looks like it's made of glass. 

• Empathy 1

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

After my recent D-pad query, it looks like they've basically abandoned it as a means to control games. This one looks like it's made of glass. 

The Vita one looked a lot like this and was OK, but that actually had a middle.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

I think the USB C port could be multi purpose. An adapter could allow for a traditional headphone port for different or non Bluetooth headsets. 

I'm really intrigued by the 3D audio cabapilties of this system. More so than the graphics race this time round. 

That'll work if they put a battery that lasts more than about 3 hours of play time with headphones connected.  My DS4 regularly had cables coming out of both ends so i could play Yakuza in the games room when my kid was asleep..

13 hours ago, Bojangle said:

That’s possibly the ugliest controller I’ve ever seen, looks like an old 3rd party pad.

I saw a glimpse of it last night when I was scrolling through my Twitter feed and assumed it was a third party pad.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Freeman said:

That'll work if they put a battery that lasts more than about 3 hours of play time with headphones connected.  My DS4 regularly had cables coming out of both ends so i could play Yakuza in the games room when my kid was asleep..

Surely a given at this stage. It must be the number one complaint of the DS4. And the battery tech has moved on loads since its release. How long is the Switch Pro controller battery life, 40 hours or something? 

33 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I just hope the controller lasts longer than 6 months before stick drift starts. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th PS4 controller, they're pretty much disposable.

That sounds like pretty bad luck because the two I use work extremely well, although I’ve had three pads in total and the first one just fell apart in no time. 

My current two are a Black v2 and the 25th anniversary one. Both are pretty much the most durable pads I’ve ever had. 

In saying that, I have two.. not for 2 player but to have one constantly on charge because of the shit battery. That’s number one improvement I’d like to see with this new one. 

The voice comm inbuilt mic is a GREAT idea though! 

Two main thoughts:

1. No mention of DS4 controller compatibility with PS5?

2. The DS4 is totally fine, but I still think the sticks are in the wrong place.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Two main thoughts:

1. No mention of DS4 controller compatibility with PS5?

2. The DS4 is totally fine, but I still think the sticks are in the wrong place.

So I would imagine it either has to be Ps4 controllers working on PS5 because they said PSVR would work on PS5 or the PS5 controllers work with old PSVR so no need for ps4 controller compatibility?

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

So I would imagine it either has to be Ps4 controllers working on PS5 because they said PSVR would work on PS5 or the PS5 controllers work with old PSVR so no need for ps4 controller compatibility?

If it's the latter, that doesn't solve having to rebuy multiple controllers.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

If it's the latter, that doesn't solve having to rebuy multiple controllers.

I'm hoping for Ps4 controller compatibility.  Trying to see if there's anything on the Ps5 controller that can't be worked around.  Would probably end up being a bit clunky if you couldn't have those resistive triggers or the other new buttons maybe?

40 minutes ago, footle said:

It’s only supported by a load of services I don’t use however. Anyone here subscribe to tidal? Deezer?

I've got Sony headphones that support it and use Deezer. I haven't photographed my ears yet. Do you want me to test it later?

9 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've got Sony headphones that support it and use Deezer. I haven't photographed my ears yet. Do you want me to test it later?

yes! 

23 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

yes! 

I've photographed my ears. Deezer requires the Hi-Fi subscription for 360 sound, which is double what I'm currently paying. Fuck that.

9 minutes ago, kernow said:

Distinct lack of new console mockups 

Cmon internet

sony are just going to copy the xsx tower design

2 hours ago, Purin said:

Giant "oh shit" heard from Sony HQ.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've photographed my ears. Deezer requires the Hi-Fi subscription for 360 sound, which is double what I'm currently paying. Fuck that.

:(

It's that they don't even have any decent examples to show you why you'd want to use it that depressed me.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Post ear pics pls.  Don't kink shame me.

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

You can see Sony' bind here, it's not like there's some kind of reusable commercially available power cell that users could remove from the controller to charge and easily place in newly charged ones.

They should invent them, they could even name them after their top games and call them AAAs or something.

• Upvote 3