rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Possible games reveal on 3 June

2 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Another cool tech focussed video has emerged, with some interesting, "I have friends on the inside" notes. Seems legit but keep your salt shaker on standby

"Clock frequency is tied directly to how the rays bounce around the objects"

Dunno, not sure about any of this tier of youtube stuff - mostly seems like pet theories dressed up with 'sources'.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

"Clock frequency is tied directly to how the rays bounce around the objects"

Dunno, not sure about any of this tier of youtube stuff - mostly seems like pet theories dressed up with 'sources'.

It's possible. I'm making a point of only sharing videos from people who have legitimate YouTube channels and seem to have an understanding of tech. We have @PC Master Race to help us filter the obvious bullshit. :)

In lieu of more concrete information, I figure these vids are all part of the fun of rumour, speculation and the "I have a friend who works at..." cycle of console launches.

In a way, I think Sony’s approach to marketing might be a good move. They released the Cerny video, which has confused a lot of people, but if their next one is more consumer focused and shows off the console, the games, what their new tech can do and the price, then that’s what’s going to stick in people’s minds and their first video will be forgotten. They’re definitely increasing the hype by holding back and that first video has just made people more hungry for more information.

Maybe this approach has just been good fortune, but it could well have been their plan all along.

I think there’s also a real possibility that their current market share and level of success mean they’re targeting a wider audience than we realise. I think most people on the street probably still don’t really know anything about either console because nothing eye catching has been shown yet. Whichever one of them shows the first flashy trailer that millions of people share will probably have an early advantage. I’m not sure how important courting obsessives like us is to their strategy.

12 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Are they really going to make us wait until June to see this thing?

None of us know what their marketing plans are. Or whether it all gets delayed for that matter.

At a guess, I'd think their most likely original plan was to reveal it before E3 - before everything changed/got cancelled.

37 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Are they really going to make us wait until June to see this thing?

Quite possibly. They have The Last of Us 2 coming out first and COVID-19 is shaking up a lot of schedules.

they weren't going to attend e3 so their reveal plan was not connected to any June dates originally anyway.

3 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Any chance you could summarise or point to the relevant time in the video? It’s 45 minutes long!

I miss those simpler times when some analysis or opinion piece was a piece of text you could quickly skim-read instead of everything being a interminable YouTube video that takes forever to get the point. To be honest it mostly annoys me because as a busy adult (read: old fart) I don't have time to sit through all that.

So most of the time I'm guessing what their point is based on the video title. In this case, AMD checkmated itself because it provides the tech for both consoles? Or checkmate is the name of their new graphics driver? The PlayStation 5 is actually called the PlayStation 5: Checkmate, while the Xbox is actually called the Xbox Series X: Oh Noes? Uncharted: Checkmate confirmed? New Animal Crossing friendly friends DLC - Animal Crossing: Check out my Mate?

• Upvote 6

Come on guys? The video above is actually densely packed all the way through despite its length. It's very technical and I don't pretend to understand all of it myself. But getting the broader gist of it still makes for an interesting watch. Me with my limited tech knowledge trying to summarize in a few lines would be a disservice. Surely many of us with the current worldwide situation have a bit more time on our hands than usual? The uploader Coreteks knows his stuff - whether you agree with the assumptions/conclusions is another matter. Perhaps the more technically minded on here (PC Master Race?) will care to comment?

@krenzler apologies, I wasn't trying to be an asshole about it. I'm self isolating with a toddler so have barely any free time until this blows over :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

I’ve tried watching some of it, but it’s been done with some kind of speech robot and the monotone nature of it is on a par with Cerny’s presentation style. I honestly don’t think I could make it through the 45 minutes.

• Upvote 3

I agree about his voice but I think it's just the way he is and not done intentionally to annoy anybody. 

3 minutes ago, krenzler said:

I agree about his voice but I think it's just the way he is and not done intentionally to annoy anybody. 

That’s not a real voice, is it? I thought it was one of those text to speech things.

It doesn’t annoy me by the way, I just find it pretty much impossible to listen to because of the lack of tone or pauses for breath. It’s just a continuous monotone stream.

I think English is the guy’s second language, seemed absolutely fine to me.  Nabbed the below summary from resetera:

1. IO focus is a wiser investment than any compute advantage (he cites Nvidia "Compute is free, communication is expensive")

2. Future AMD GPUs will focus on IO and accelerators. He goes into detail on this and explores Lisa Su's career on Cell, the inception of HSA and Zen, and how PS5 is an extension of their ultimate goal of making communication the pillar of the silicon. 

3. PS5 is revolutionizing the way components on an APU communicate. This is why PS5 is a game changer. The ability for the CPU, GPU, and SSD via the accelerators work together allows the removal of bottlenecks that have been plaguing development for decades. 

4. The IO accelerators could potentially create games and worlds not possible on any current PC or the Series X.

5. Power differences between the two platforms are minimal. Xbox will win a few percentage points in certain titles. Both platforms perform around the level of a 3700x and 2080 Super.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

10 minutes ago, sammy said:

4. The IO accelerators could potentially create games and worlds not possible on any current PC or the Series X.

We keep hearing this, but I’d love to see it in action. Show us the games that take advantage of it Sony!

Does it mean that only first party devs will properly use it though? Third parties obviously want as big a slice of that cash as they can get, so they’ll surely design their games to run on all systems.

It's not going to be the easiest thing to demonstrate, even when we see the games. You're just going to have folk dismissing it, claiming that they don't see anything that couldn't be done elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I think we will need well known developers that aren’t 1st party studios to comment Before we can gauge just how much this no-bottleneck design helps development.

5 minutes ago, bumgut said:

I think we will need well known developers that aren’t 1st party studios to comment Before we can gauge just how much this no-bottleneck design helps development.

I’d also like to know how much it really improves over the Series X design as well. They’re both infinitely faster than what we’re currently used to, but I do wonder how much the doubling of speed of the PS5’s setup will change things.

13 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

It's not going to be the easiest thing to demonstrate, even when we see the games. You're just going to have folk dismissing it, claiming that they don't see anything that couldn't be done elsewhere.

Why won’t it be an easy thing to demonstrate? If it’s really going to change gaming as we know it, then it’s got to be a pretty obvious and clear thing to show.

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

It's not going to change gaming as we know it.

What do you mean? The whole console seems to be built around it, so it must be a pretty well thought of approach and one that hopefully gives us games that just haven’t been possible before. If it isn’t going to be game changing as we know it, then what’s the point?

None of this stuff will change gaming as we know it will it? Same as it ever was, more shinies. Japanese stuff on the PS, multi platform stuff for XB. And their respective first party offerings if you enjoy them.

• Upvote 2

I hope the removal of bottlenecks with those IO accelerators means that it is finally possible to have another Spider-Man game with a web swinging system as good as the one in Spider-Man 2 on PS2.

@Jashin I’ve honestly no idea. I just keep reading that it’s going to be the big difference between this and Series X, but if that’s not the case then I don’t really understand why they’ve taken this route.

I just want Sony to hurry up and tell us more.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Why won’t it be an easy thing to demonstrate? If it’s really going to change gaming as we know it, then it’s got to be a pretty obvious and clear thing to show.

I know this subject gets your goat, but what you’re asking is a bit like demanding the bloke who invented the guitar to come up with some Beatles songs or else he’s full of shit.

Give the devs time dude (Sony themselves probably won’t explain anymore than they have done). If they’ve got cool new ideas do you really think they’ll talk about it? They’re more likely to just...put it in the game they’re making?