PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

So PS3 all over again, the Sony first party studios will make some phenomenal stuff that isn't possible on Xbox, multiplats will be at a higher native res on Xbox.

Quite an exciting time and I'm glad we don't just have 2 identical boxes.

Or, it's the big selling platform that is always -and I mean always- the lead platform for multi-platform development. 

So you might have the situation, where you have these instant scene switching things which are instantaneous on the PS5, but a bit laggy on the XsX, or dare I say...have loading screens. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Or, it's the big selling platform that is always -and I mean always- the lead platform for multi-platform development. 

So you might have the situation, where you have these instant scene switching things which are instantaneous on the PS5, but a bit laggy on the XsX, or dare I say...have loading screens. 

This generation the power leader is the Xbox One X, but multiple games perform better on the weaker PS4 Pro (which is a larger performance gap than PS5 to XSX) because developers historically have always targeted visuals over performance and will insist on pushing 4k native or close to 4k native more of the time and allowing PS4 Pro to run at a lower than 4k Native and drop lower more of the time which results in a better closer to 60fps performance line.

Infact the 2 biggest games right now perform better on PS4 Pro despite being weaker, Fortnite and Modern Warfare.

So it's entirely possible that the PS5 is the better place to play multiplatform games, the performance gap is smaller than the one between PS4 and Xbox One and between PS4 Pro and Xbox Series X.

and to answer @JPL no, it's not possible for Xbox First devs to create anything that isn't possible on PS5 because visuals can always scale, lower res, frame rate etc, the IO performance will allow significant changes to the game design on PS5 over XSX, but it wont be used by Third Parties sadly.

They did the “improved” last gen game thing on PS3, at least initially. It doesn’t hold a candle to rebuilding stuff for a new system.

I was sceptical about all remakes this gen, but there’s no doubt that stuff like GTA5, SOTC and The Last of Us can easily stand up as some of the best looking games this gen.

I imagine it helps with sales too. Not many people are going to be buying old PS4 games to play on their PS5 after a year or so, but a shiny remake is like a new title, even if you rinsed it before, if done right.

Now, if only someone would do a decent remake of Silent Hill 2 rather than the dogs dinner they did a few years back.

3 hours ago, JPL said:

He showed that Spider-Man clip last year. There was nothing that exciting in last night’s presentation. Besides, I’ve hammered it around Forza Horizon 3’s open world in a Lambo Centenario and didn’t see the world struggling to appear in front of me.

Sorry, I don’t have a clue what the rest of your post is on about.

Maybe you didn't have your glasses on when you played Forza - there's plenty of pop-in if you choose to look for it, which of course is the problem - if we weren't all watching Digital Foundry videos no-one would give a toss about a bit of aliasing or difference in resolution. But now everyone's an armchair expert whose enjoyment of a game is seemingly ruined by relatively minor differences or technical hiccups. 

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe you didn't have your glasses on when you played Forza - there's plenty of pop-in if you choose to look for it, which of course is the problem - if we weren't all watching Digital Foundry videos no-one would give a toss about a bit of aliasing or difference in resolution. But now everyone's an armchair expert whose enjoyment of a game is seemingly ruined by relatively minor differences or technical hiccups. 

Well, if I didn’t notice any pop-in on FH3, I don’t think making it disappear is really going to do anything for me.

I’m sticking with my One X and PS4. This thread has convinced me these next gen consoles are a complete waste of time.

Give me a shout when it’s next next gen.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Well, if I didn’t notice any pop-in on FH3, I don’t think making it disappear is really going to do anything for me.

I’m sticking with my One X and PS4. This thread has convinced me these next gen consoles are a complete waste of time.

Give me a shout when it’s next next gen.

Enjoy your 30 FPS for the next 5 years.

3 hours ago, gooner4life said:

So PS3 all over again, the Sony first party studios will make some phenomenal stuff that isn't possible on Xbox,

citation neede....

oh never mind just write them down on your notepad

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Are Xbox first party devs allowed to make some phenomenal stuff that isn’t possible on PS5 as well, or is it only Sony who are allowed to do it?

No, as they said no exclusives for Series X remember? It’s gotta run on your standard bone.

3 minutes ago, KriessG said:

No, as they said no exclusives for Series X remember? It’s gotta run on your standard bone.

For the first year. It doesn’t matter anyway, gooner has told me the weaker console will have the best exclusives and they’ll be able to do magical things with it that MS won’t. I was really looking forward to a Series X as well. :(

58 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Important to remember Mario Kart 8 is one of the best looking games this gen.

Indeed. 

I love reading about the upcoming tech in the new consoles to see what the major players are up to from a tech point of view. However at the moment have zero interest in actually buying one. 

Just going to stick with my Switch TBH. Pick up play a game for a bit and move on. I'll keep an eye on developments in gaming in general but I think its time for a break for me. I have gaming fatigue. Polygons/FPS etc etc WTF once upon a time it DIDN'T MATTER. It was about the games. Console gaming seems more aligned with PC gaming these days. Worried about technical aspects of a console rather than the actual games - well from my observations anyway! :D 

VR is fun though... Enjoying my Oculus and certainly made my electronic entertainment more interesting recently.... anyhow.... 

Looking forward to seeing what MS and Sony deliver next and what different gaming experiences they can bring to the table..... :)

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!