IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

23 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I've been playing PS4 Elden Ring on the PS5 and even switching over to the PS5 app with VRR can't even come close, judder and the pop in, wow, really noticeable 

Have you turned on VRR for non supported games as well?

Elden Ring is significantly better but the game's performance is so uneven that it can dip below the VRR window. At this point I'm doubtful From will improve things, although they're supposed to be adding ray tracing at some point which you assume would necessitate some intensive optimisation.

Playing the PS4 version on PS5 remains the most performant way to play. The current gen version is okay with VRR, though.

I tested Ratchet & Clank, and while the VRR in fidelity mode is a very nice improvement over standard 30fps, Performance RT at 120hz is just sensational. I'm actually surprised at the difference between 120hz and 60hz modes for Performance RT.

30 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Elden Ring is significantly better but the game's performance is so uneven that it can dip below the VRR window. At this point I'm doubtful From will improve things, although they're supposed to be adding ray tracing at some point which you assume would necessitate some intensive optimisation.

Playing the PS4 version on PS5 remains the most performant way to play. The current gen version is okay with VRR, though.

12fps confirmed for ray tracing. Honestly ray tracing is the last thing they need to be looking at !

Is there a layman's summary for these modern consoles?

I'm fortunate enough to own a PS5 and an LG OLED (E9 fact fans) but I have no idea what I need to have turned on and where. 

Performance modes, 120hz, 30fps, VRR - it's all lost on me. 

I've got game mode set on my PS5 input on my telly and that's about all I know. 

What else do I need to worry about. 

Also while I'm here asking these questions, is there a reason that sometimes my games are so dark?

Maybe it's just ps4 games playing on ps5. 

14 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

I'm fortunate enough to own a PS5 and an LG OLED (E9 fact fans) but I have no idea what I need to have turned on and where. 

Also while I'm here asking these questions, is there a reason that sometimes my games are so dark?

Performance modes - prioritise frame rate over resolution/image quality.

120Hz - same as 120fps. Nice if you find it makes a difference for you but many can’t really feel the difference between that and 60fps. Generally the image quality takes a real hit to get to 120fps so debatable if it’s worth it. 

30fps - games that refresh 30 times per second. Not really sure what the question is here. 

VRR - Variable Refresh Rate. Games have always had to match broadcast refresh rates, generally either 30 or 60fps. If they miss their target by just one frame per second you get stuttering or tearing. VRR turns this on its head by matching the display to the game so if the game’s frame rate drops below 60fps so does the display - this essentially eliminates stuttering and tearing. You don’t really need to know the details, just turn it on. 

As for dark PS4 games go to Settings -> Screen and Video -> Video Output -> HDR and switch it to ‘On When Supported’. 

1 minute ago, petrolgirls said:

120Hz - same as 120fps. Nice if you find it makes a difference for you but many can’t really feel the difference between that and 60fps. Generally the image quality takes a real hit to get to 120fps so debatable if it’s worth it. 

Perhaps it's the way you worded it, but that's not accurate apart from games like Destiny 2 that have a specific 120fps mode (crucible only). 120hz does not mean a game runs at 120fps. The likes of Spidey, Miles, and Ratchet all run in the 60fps to 120fps window in their Performance RT modes, and look absolutely stunning. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I tested Ratchet & Clank, and while the VRR in fidelity mode is a very nice improvement over standard 30fps, Performance RT at 120hz is just sensational. I'm actually surprised at the difference between 120hz and 60hz modes for Performance RT.

That sounds like what Flight Simulator is doing on Xbox. Hopefully it’s a feature many games in the future will have.

6 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

That sounds like what Flight Simulator is doing on Xbox. Hopefully it’s a feature many games in the future will have.

Aye, that's VRR is mainly for, but console games do have to be patched to allow unlocked framerates. 

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Aye, that's VRR is mainly for, but console games do have to be patched to allow unlocked framerates. 

It’s shame Sony can’t do more on a system level. I find it odd that they can’t.

6 hours ago, Harrisown said:

It’s shame Sony can’t do more on a system level. I find it odd that they can’t.

To be honest, I still think it's the more corporate dickhead side of Sony that's mandating "only HDMI 2.1" so that they "can sell more TVs too". The irony there being Sony's TVs these days are a pretty shit for gaming.

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Apparently when forced on, the VR range is only above 48Hz, which is why Elden Ring still feels pretty horrible at times. For supported, it’s more like 20Hz. 

The video information says the PS5 can do 48-120.

Might be interesting to see what it say while playing a supported game in a supported mode.

10 hours ago, Gloomy Andy said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest/search?query=ps5

I'm amazed at how much overhead there is on Naughty Dog's games. Remove the 60fps cap and the game runs at way above that. Run Spiderman in its 30fps mode and it doesn't drop below 49fps at any time. But I guess that's sort of what you need to ensure a game doesn't dip below its target in the most stressful situations.

To put that into perspective, Elden Ring's 60fps mode often spends huge chunks of time with the sort of performance Spiderman manages in its 30fps mode!

LG C9 user here - 

My experience is that enabling having VRR on with the PS5, as well as 120Hz display mode on + either Performance graphics mode in both of Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank, is giving me an image that is much less defined and much more blurry.

The reduction in image clarity is making me not want to have 120Hz mode on with games.

I'm using a certified HDMI 2.1 cable, and am connecting the PS5 directly to the C9 (there's no intermediary receiver or anything like that).

Am I missing something?  I don't see any 'VRR on' in the games themselves, just a) what graphics mode (Performance, Performance RT or Fidelity) and b) 120Hz mode on/off.

I am suspecting the worst at the moment in that to achieve VRR output, the PS5 system has to downgrade to some practically worthless chroma output which is leading to the blurriness, just so Sony can tick the VRR box for (ironically,) optics.

35 minutes ago, Triple A said:

LG C9 user here - 

My experience is that enabling having VRR on with the PS5, as well as 120Hz display mode on + either Performance graphics mode in both of Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank, is giving me an image that is much less defined and much more blurry.

The reduction in image clarity is making me not want to have 120Hz mode on with games.

I'm using a certified HDMI 2.1 cable, and am connecting the PS5 directly to the C9 (there's no intermediary receiver or anything like that).

Am I missing something?  I don't see any 'VRR on' in the games themselves, just a) what graphics mode (Performance, Performance RT or Fidelity) and b) 120Hz mode on/off.

I am suspecting the worst at the moment in that to achieve VRR output, the PS5 system has to downgrade to some practically worthless chroma output which is leading to the blurriness, just so Sony can tick the VRR box for (ironically,) optics.

The issue might be with the game themselves.

I know Ratchet and Clank had a pretty innovative mode where it was using 120hz output but rendering at about 45FPS. I don't remember if they played with resolution or detail in that specific setting, it was kinda like a fake VRR mode almost.

I think Deathloop is the only game I have that supports VRR and so far it seems somewhat worthless though they have added in a brand new mode with 120fps but shit graphics quality and resolution for VRR users. I didn't like the look of it at all.

I hear that the PS5 output is limited to errrrr *insert forgotten number here* GBPS data rate which means it might force Limited HDMI black levels. So if like me your using RGB chroma 4:4:4 Full HDMI black levels at 60hz you might want to see what your TV is doing when it switches to 120hz.

46 minutes ago, Triple A said:

LG C9 user here - 

You can repeatedly press the green button on the remote to get a Freesync display which tells you if VRR is enabled or not, display resolution and colourspace. 

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

LG C9 user here - 

Have you tried fidelity mode using vrr?

@Triple A Make sure "Instant Game Response" is turned on for that HDMI port, and that it's also set to GAME mode.

Also, it should really be Performance RT rather than plain old Performance to get the best balance between visuals and performance in both those games. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

You can repeatedly press the green button on the remote to get a Freesync display which tells you if VRR is enabled or not, display resolution and colourspace. 

On an LG C9? really?

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

not on a C9 you can't

1 hour ago, Thor said:

@Triple A Make sure "Instant Game Response" is turned on for that HDMI port, and that it's also set to GAME mode.

Also, it should really be Performance RT rather than plain old Performance to get the best balance between visuals and performance in both those games. 

done all those already

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

The issue might be with the game themselves.

I know Ratchet and Clank had a pretty innovative mode where it was using 120hz output but rendering at about 45FPS. I don't remember if they played with resolution or detail in that specific setting, it was kinda like a fake VRR mode almost.

I think Deathloop is the only game I have that supports VRR and so far it seems somewhat worthless though they have added in a brand new mode with 120fps but shit graphics quality and resolution for VRR users. I didn't like the look of it at all.

I hear that the PS5 output is limited to errrrr *insert forgotten number here* GBPS data rate which means it might force Limited HDMI black levels. So if like me your using RGB chroma 4:4:4 Full HDMI black levels at 60hz you might want to see what your TV is doing when it switches to 120hz.

Thank you - I will give Astro's Playroom a go (another game I own that's on the initial VRR list), and check what black level setting my C9 is on

Just now, Triple A said:

thanks I'll give that a go

Stick it in fidelity mode . Turn off 120hz in the game settings . That I believe is now 30fps full res locked . Then turn on 120hz and you are getting full res with vrr. And it feels like 60hz. With a a few stutters when it gets busy but nothing game breaking