IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

18 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

If it can’t play the original Timesplitters it isn’t back compatible with PS2 games and will be launched out of my window.

Somebody has not skipped out on arm day then.

Speculation on Resetera that back compat might be just around the corner after an odd issue/bug with trophy lists...

"So, there seems to be an issue with PSN right now, every PS4 game in my trophy list is at 0% and saying PS3 as its platform."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-there-seems-to-be-an-issue-with-psn-right-now-every-ps4-game-in-my-trophy-list-is-at-0-and-saying-ps3-as-its-platform.543797/

On 22/01/2022 at 17:18, Stanley said:

Backwards compatibility would be so cool on PlayStation, I really hope it happens. 

I expect it will happen..however... not sure if it will be in a way we want it to be implemented. What I expect is that Sony will use it to bolster a gamepass type service with a back catalogue of PS1/PS2/PS3 games - which is no bad thing of course. But don't expect it will be a "drop your disk into the drive and play" type solution that the PS2 and early PS3's had. As much as that would be cool.. I don't think that is the motive here. Could be wrong... 

Saying all that.. a GamePass service with PlayStation content playable back to the original PlayStation with GamePass type pricing? And some tweaking (via the emulator) of older content to look more palatable on our screens? Sounds good to me. Love to play some of the original PS content as I never owned one back in the day.

Sony bust their balls to get a PS2 emulator working on PS3 and by the time it did no-one really cared. Granted you had to re-buy the games and it didn't work with discs. But I imagine the lesson they learned there was people dont care as much about BC as they say. Personally I did buy a few PS2 games on my PS3, and I'd love the same for PS3 games now. But I can't see it. I think these PS3 appearances on the store are all weird PS Now artifacts. Still, hoping to be wrong.

19 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Sony bust their balls to get a PS2 emulator working on PS3 and by the time it did no-one really cared. Granted you had to re-buy the games and it didn't work with discs. But I imagine the lesson they learned there was people dont care as much about BC as they say. Personally I did buy a few PS2 games on my PS3, and I'd love the same for PS3 games now. But I can't see it. I think these PS3 appearances on the store are all weird PS Now artifacts. Still, hoping to be wrong.

It's usually more important to me towards the beginning of a generation rather than towards the end.

Although I’m not sure that’s true now a 4K enabled 360 game is basically the same to me as a modern game. I could leap from RDR2 -> RDR1 seamlessly earlier this month and while I noticed the writing and performance capture and horse were more primitive it was basically the same thing. Going from a PS3 game to a PS1 game would have felt quite different. 

Yes, I think people care about BC, but in a more general sense of just wanting their old stuff to work and not to have to chuck everything away when you switch generations. It always felt a bit weird to buy a new console and render your existing games mostly obsolete. The old console would stick around for a while, but would be pretty quickly edged out by the new boy. The time to add PS2/3 BC was around the launch of the PS4, really. That ship has sailed.

That said, I think adding PS1/2/3 BC would be a good way of making a subscription service more attractive, in that it would be another bullet point on the advertising and a few more games to chuck onto the pile. If they do include BC, I don't think their priority will be letting users stick their Densha de Go! Shinkansen Sanyō Shinkansen-hen or Mojib-Ribbon disks in their consoles, it'll be them saying they can offer five generations of console games. I suspect that kind of thing appeals in the abstract sense of making the service seem better value for money.

Assuming some kind of emulated back catalogue is on the way I'm not expecting it to honour prior purchases, be they physical or digital.

If I were Sony I'd go back to the idea of updating games individually, kind of like PS2 Classics on PS4. In other words they'd make sure the emulation was decent, upgrade framerates or render resolution where possible, and integrate Trophies. Not an insignificant amount of work, but when you consider that the games are attached to a subscription it makes more sense: you want those news hits of putting out a constant stream of titles, hooking new people in for a time with each nostalgia hit, plus the additions help to justify why you have to 'pay again'.

I imagine you could set up a pretty efficient pipeline for bringing games across if the intention is to grow a service rather than sell individual titles. Hell, if you really wanted to celebrate the history you could even package up things liked developer interviews or concept art galleries when games make it to the service, although I'm not sure if you could get that idea passed people minding the budget.

14 minutes ago, Ferine said:

If I were Sony I'd go back to the idea of updating games individually, kind of like PS2 Classics on PS4

I really wanted them to do more with that - I would have bought them! It's nice that they ended up with 51 games but compared to the console's full library* it's not massive.

*and PCSX2's compatibility list

Slightly strange question but I’m hoping there’s something simple I’m missing. I had most of my PS4 games on an external drive which I no longer have. Every time I try to download a game that was previously on this drive the PS5 asks me to insert the usb drive and doesn’t give me an option to download it again. This happens on the store and in the library. What am I missing ? Surely there’s an option to re download games ?

edit* got it. You have to delete them from the Home Screen then you have the option to download again. 

2 hours ago, Graham S said:

Speaking of BC and PSVR, I'm definitely hoping PSVR2 is mostly backward compatible with the old library or most good games are updated for the new headset.

It would be madness if it wasn't. I'd even go so far as to bet Pete Brant's remaining bollock on it. :P

2 hours ago, Graham S said:

Speaking of BC and PSVR, I'm definitely hoping PSVR2 is mostly backward compatible with the old library or most good games are updated for the new headset.

Don’t think it’s likely, the new headset is meant to use inside out tracking; it’d be a big job to convert the old camera tracking data.

1 minute ago, theredstar said:

Don’t think it’s likely, the new headset is meant to use inside out tracking; it’d be a big job to convert the old camera tracking data.

Sorry Pete!

I do think they'll find a way though. At worst I'd imagine they'll provide devs with the tools necessary to make a PS5 upgrade / compatibility patch a far easier process, no way will Sony want to have to start their VR games library from scratch, when they've got an entire catalogue of games available to them.

If it was Microsoft, I might agree, as they might get their engineers to create a workaround (like back compat), with no burden on devs. Can’t see why devs would invest the time or money, for very few new sales, when they’ll be trying to make new games.

I’d love to be wrong, but I can’t see it happening.

20 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I really wanted them to do more with that - I would have bought them! It's nice that they ended up with 51 games but compared to the console's full library* it's not massive.

*and PCSX2's compatibility list

Didn't realise they had done so many! These were cool. Nostalgia done right, just as you remembered with the upscaling filling in the rose tinted glasses effect!

Notable PS2 on PS4 games not on that list are the GTA trilogy which were removed for what are now obvious reasons

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/10/rockstar-removing-ps2-versions-of-gta-from-ps-store

The official cover plates were out today so I went and got a black one, along with a black controller and a charging dock. I haven’t even taken the PS5 out of it’s box yet (too focused on my current PS4 games) but did so today, so it got switched on for the first time in it’s black outfit. Does the job nicely of letting the machine hide in the shadows of my TV cabinet.

I have to say my first impression on discovering the O and X functions have been swapped was… that is not what I was hoping for. As I intend to keep the PS4 on the go for VR and other stuff, this is going to be a constant niggle.

Looking through my games library is a bit confusing (nothing downloaded as of yet). There are some titles which have a ‘no entry’ symbol on them and the text “playable on PS4” indicating I can’t download them. One of these is the FF7 remake - I thought that would run on PS5?

I had the vague notion to get the version of Spider-man which has the whole shebang remastered for PS5, as I’ve never played it at all. I don’t see it on the store though? There was one complete edition that I thought might be it but it says PS4/PS5… can anyone advise?

Played Astro-bot and it’s wonderful, as I knew it would be. The only other thing I’ve installed is Valkyria Chronicles which I’ve never played either, but it’s hardly going to show off the machine (when I do get around to it). Gonna try the Matrix thing later.