IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

22 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Astro is waaaaaaaaaay better.

Indeed, ive finished it hence the query over the time played - as a huge fan of the VR game I found the PS5 experience just that, its not a great game like the VR one is and all the pad stuff was impressive but hardly a game changer just like guessing the number of marbles was on the switch…. It seems to have been as successful as that outside its tech demo too!

image.thumb.png.3aa4b7aec766847cb90ae67105b9517d.png

Apparently I've played 99 total hours in total (or a small fraction of my Slay the Spire time). Definitely not played very much Ratchet and Clank then.

Occasionally loaded up the likes of UC4, GoT to see what they looked like for an hour at a time.

No call of duty though :D

(I've put 15 or so hours into Returnal since the start of 2022, though I bought it in 2021).

Imagine if Sony just took it out of the algorithm to save on the lols. I have a suspect feeling about Horizon Zero Dawn being 5th most played on my list 2 weeks before the sequel releases. I only played the DLC this year and no way way that was 25 hours worth of DLC

Just know that I'm judging everyone with numbers of hours way above my own as ridiculously addicted time-wasters, while simultaneously judging everyone with numbers way below my own for wasting their money on their PS5.

Just now, Graham S said:

Just know that I'm judging everyone with numbers of hours way above my own as ridiculously addicted time-wasters, while simultaneously judging everyone with numbers way below my own for wasting their money on their PS5.

I’m certainly judging myself, but I did like Miles and Deathloop. Days Gone I think I just skipped off at some point as it continued to stretch out and out and out.

Happy enough with that. I tried to finish more games last year instead of dipping my toe in a load of stuff so I'm not surprised I didn't play a huge amount of games. 

PSN.png

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

:D Suppose everyone has a different perspective of value of things. Usually with something like a console probably keep it for what at least a 4-5 years and it's always there to have a quick blast on. So long term investment.

I'm guessing the results of the top five games maybe slightly skewed if you play lots of shortish indie titles.

Think my total play time is 54 hours over the last 6 months of '21 (only got the PS5 late June). And only spent most of my time in it last three months because it's winter. 

As for value for money enjoyed playing what I have. So happy so far. 

Just catching up on PS4 content at the moment and recently picked up Horizon Zero Dawn to try. Handy as kind of an intro to the series and it will save me £70 buying the new one if I don't enjoy this one (it was only just over £6 in the recent sale). So far it feels a bit like every other Sony open world game. Lovely visuals hope the story pulls me in a bit more though..  

17 minutes ago, MattyP said:

:D Suppose everyone has a different perspective of value of things. Usually with something like a console probably keep it for what at least a 4-5 years and it's always there to have a quick blast on. So long term investment.

As for value for money enjoyed playing what I have. So happy so far. 

Sounds like a guilty conscience to me. You have been judged, and found wanting.

If they ever did, it'd be a great opportunity to finally get rid of the PS3 and reuse that HDMI port for a Series S. I'm not a huge BC person, but there's a couple on there I'd love to keep access to.

If Sony were going to announce expanded backwards compatibility I don't think they'd obliquely tease it on one regional Twitter account before unveiling it on a Sunday.

Besides, it's obvious what the tweet is actually referring to:

1. 1, 2, 3
  2. 1/2 3
  3. ½ (life) 3

:sherlock:

7 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I would presume that all the PS1 and PS2 stuff would have to be digital?

Can the PS5 read discs from these systems?

It won’t be anyway near as comprehensive as that. Probably more along the lines of Nintendo’s SNES and N64 stuff on Switch. 

3 hours ago, Hitcher said:

It can't play CDs full stop!

Yes, but is it a case of the drive physically can't read CDs (the laser can't be tuned to the correct wavelength or whatever), or is it just a case of it not having CD compatibility programmed into its firmware?

The latter case is very much fixable with the right will.

19 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Yes, but is it a case of the drive physically can't read CDs (the laser can't be tuned to the correct wavelength or whatever), or is it just a case of it not having CD compatibility programmed into its firmware?

The latter case is very much fixable with the right will.

they took the relevant laser out in later revisions of the PS3.

I don't hold out much hope that they'll even allow PS3 discs, really. I'd love it if they recognised my digital purchases on PS3, but I'm not even sure they'll do that. I think you'll get to a point where the PS Now catalogue has a non-streaming option. Which would disappoint.

49 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Yes, but is it a case of the drive physically can't read CDs

Yes. Blu-Ray, DVD and CD require either distinct laser assemblies or special multi-frequency lasers and the PS5 one can only play DVDs and BD discs.

I can't see this BC (if it even exists at all) being anything other than downloads from the PS store.

If that's the case, a lot of classics will likely never even make it online due to the complications of licensed music, cars etc.

Even the big players might not bother trying to get old games licensed (or won't spend money to modify them if licenses can't be obtained). Imagine having BC but missing out on Skate or SSX because EA don't think it's cost effective.

If it's disc based (excluding CDs for technical reasons) I'll be very impressed.

16 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Yes. Blu-Ray, DVD and CD require either distinct laser assemblies or special multi-frequency lasers and the PS5 one can only play DVDs and BD discs.

PS2 & PS3 BC from disc CONFIRMED.