IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

After seeing how much electricity a Series X uses in stand-by I decided to keep that in Energy Saving mode from day 1. With the increase in fuel prices you’re looking at about 50 quid a year to keep it in stand by unless my math is incorrect! 

2 hours ago, FatOldGeek said:

After seeing how much electricity a Series X uses in stand-by I decided to keep that in Energy Saving mode from day 1. With the increase in fuel prices you’re looking at about 50 quid a year to keep it in stand by unless my math is incorrect! 

Hmm apparently it uses 13w in instant on standy. Which is more like £20 I think.

3 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Hmm apparently it uses 13w in instant on standy. Which is more like £20 I think.

Has that been improved since launch with a firmware update maybe? I’m sure it used to nearer 30w. 

Either way it equates to a couple of months GamePass at least and by the time I’ve sat down and got comfy it’s ready to go even in the power saving mode. 

My tv got a Firmware update (Samsung Q85R) so I went searching for patch notes.

Someone in the thread mentioned putting the TV in FULL RGB mode rather than normal or automatic.

I gave it go. I tried changing it in the PS5 menus and sure enough if I set the option to limited/normal the screen switches but if I pick Full/Low it remains the same.

So the PS5 must be defaulting for me at full RGB.

Anyway, I changed it and holy shit everything looks amazing. Even God of War looks incredible. I always thought it looked a bit 7/10 before now it's a 9.

It's like a getting a new telly.

PC users are in the same boat. If you connect via HDMI most of the time Windows defaults to Limited Range. Most people don't realise that the picture looks like washed out shite because of this.

Let's not mention the amount of people with expensive monitors who leave them at 60Hz too.

20 hours ago, JoeK said:

Sorry, not at home to check it properly but it’s somewhere in the settings area under media and sharing I think. Like all quality Sony UIs it takes a while to locate.

Found it. It’s the bottom option in the settings menu. 

23 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I f*&king got one!!

My daughter had her first piano concert today, by way of reward we are staying at a hotel with the kids and grandparents tonight for a day out tomorrow. As we were passing through Osaka city we stopped off at Yodobashi Camera to look for a new washing machine, and while waiting for the customer service to do paperwork I popped up to the games floor and *bingo*. They were for store credit card holders only, but since getting burned on that last time my wife is now a holder of said card.

I was able to convince her to help me out after finishing with the washing machine purchase, by the time we got there they had about 6 or so fat ones left so I’m sat here in the hotel with a PS5, heheh.

The worry is that I have to leave it in the car while we go to the aquarium tomorrow.

leave it in the car, but take off the “I fucking got one” bumper sticker…

57 minutes ago, df0 said:

Carry it around in the aquarium like the adult you are.

take it out of the box first and see which fishes it looks the most like. Perhaps introduce it to the flatfish.

Dumb question - is there any problem with running both a PS4 and PS5 active on the same account?

I don't really have time to do the transfers up front - would prefer to just start playing PS5 games on the new box and transfer PS4 stuff over later - that's not going to cause any problems, is it? Maybe even keep the PS4 set up for VR.

2 minutes ago, smac said:

Dumb question - is there any problem with running both a PS4 and PS5 active on the same account?

I don't really have time to do the transfers up front - would prefer to just start playing PS5 games on the new box and transfer PS4 stuff over later - that's not going to cause any problems, is it? Maybe even keep the PS4 set up for VR.

That’s what I’ve been doing and it’s all been working fine so far. 

20 hours ago, smac said:

None what so ever, both consoles can be primary, my son uses my old Pro with no issues at all, has my PSPlus sub and access to all my games :)

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it worth getting the official headset? Wondering how much it adds to the immersion in games like Returnal. 

Any headset is compatible with the 3D audio (set it up in settings) and as such I would definitely, definitely recommend a headset for Returnal. It's amazeballs. :D

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it worth getting the official headset? Wondering how much it adds to the immersion in games like Returnal. 

The official headset is nice enough (and not unreasonably priced) but, as @Cyhwuhx says, any headset (wired or wireless) supports the full 3D Audio gubbins. I find the 3D on a headset infinitely better than the version they put out over TV speakers, but I guess YMMV.

So a qualified "yes" for the "official" ones, but a definite yes for a headset in general. The nice thing about the official one is the physical button for game/chat audio mix and some EQ options in the PS5 UI. Although the buttons aren't the most intuitive to find mid-game.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Thank you I think I’ll treat myself, what other games sound good with them other than Returnal? 

The Uncharted games sound fucking fantastic with the headset. And that also follows through to the Last of Us games too. 

I like the headset but I was surprised to find it needs a dongle, what’s that all about?

Seriously need to consider some kind of charging solution for everything now too, any recommendations? I don’t mind going third party if they’re decent enough, just something to charge two pads and a headset :)

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I like the headset but I was surprised to find it needs a dongle, what’s that all about?

It comes with the dongle and it’s quite handy as you can take the dongle out and plug it in to a Switch or something and use the headphones for that.

31 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It comes with the dongle and it’s quite handy as you can take the dongle out and plug it in to a Switch or something and use the headphones for that.

Oh yeah I have used it - I take it you have to use it with the PS5, if you want wireless audio I mean?