IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Never thought I'd say this, but I need some of those FW stability updates. Or is it just my PS5 that sometimes poops itself massively when coming out of rest mode, refusing to turn on and after forced restart having to repair all connected storage? (then has the cheek to scold me about not turning it off correctly)

18 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Never thought I'd say this, but I need some of those FW stability updates. Or is it just my PS5 that sometimes poops itself massively when coming out of rest mode, refusing to turn on and after forced restart having to repair all connected storage? (then has the cheek to scold me about not turning it off correctly)

Mine has done this both times I used rest-mode so I disabled rest-mode until a fix has been released. Both times I had to turn the power of at the outlet and then re-start the console.

6 hours ago, Harsin said:

Wired connection means it’s dead in the water for me.

I’ll take a single cable over the nightmare of HDMIs and USBs required for the original headset…

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

It might be worth searching about your HDD, I seem to remember some having issues due to their sleep modes. I’ve never had any issues with rest mode on the PS5, whereas with the PS4 it was hit and miss.

I selected rest mode once, by accident, and had issues restarting afterwards, black screen etc.

To the point where I had to disconnect the ps5 power cable. Then sit through the hdd test. 

But when it’s gone to sleep, because of inactivity, I’ve not had the problem.

5 hours ago, hmm said:

As soon as they announce a HL Alyx port, my resistance will be broken. Until then, I'll hopefully manage to remain rational and remember that my PSVR1 ended up gathering dust after the initial honeymoon period.

Presumably the same issues over sheer horsepower will remain. The PS5 has obviously already proven itself on the hardware front but being asked to render 2x 4k HDR images at 90 or 120Hz is going to leave us with otherwise fairly weak previous gen visuals again, presumably. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement on the weird, almost dreamlike muddiness of the PSVR1 but still.

I suspect that software won't be much more prolific this time around either. The chicken and egg problem with the potential sales figures and the various ways in which titles have to be bespoke creations for it - visuals, non-emetic gameplay, unique VR features, etc. - are going to be just as much of a factor again, and Sony are only going to bribe so many developers to do it.

Username checks out.

I mean, yeah? Chosen for a reason.

I would like to be excited about PSVR2 - I remain excited about the potential of VR in general - but it's hard to be when, despite initially being utterly bowled over by Astrobot, I was ultimately disappointed by their first attempt and it doesn't seem like this will solve all that many of the issues. Maybe by the time my daughter is old enough and we're talking about PSVR3 instead!

18 hours ago, SeanR said:

I selected rest mode once, by accident, and had issues restarting afterwards, black screen etc.

To the point where I had to disconnect the ps5 power cable. Then sit through the hdd test. 

But when it’s gone to sleep, because of inactivity, I’ve not had the problem.

spoke too soon. 

i left it on, downloading stuff, last night. Came down to the orange-rest-mode-glow, shortly followed by the blue-glow-of-death, when I tried to turn it on…

:facepalm:

[edit]
a second attempt to turn it on from the pad produces no result on the console.

looks like it’s time to hold the power button for two beeps and hope for the best…

Edited by SeanR

33 minutes ago, SeanR said:
  Hide contents

Internal storage

3156EB5F-A770-44F8-8820-C7EA7B5E41FF.thumb.jpeg.41b8ae349b96fe2cf215d4d2b0d39eaf.jpeg

external storage

40519524-5D0F-4B73-9C7E-2C152877D741.thumb.jpeg.2ba4e973043cd7fafda84d2b827d5c96.jpeg

system software

D734B625-AA06-4B30-AC5A-CDA58D63088F.thumb.jpeg.0881500191ad001dcd6045d8fe508995.jpeg

external storage

5408149A-8526-4E1D-94EB-89866436EEED.thumb.jpeg.443bef3b77237f3e6474827866ba3dc1.jpeg

in that order

but that’s normal, right?

Right?

I get the message about repairing the external drive if I switch the power off at the wall by mistake when it’s in rest mode. I’ve not had the one about the system software error or the second USB error though.

20 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I use rest mode exclusively. Have done so since launch. No issues. 🤷‍♂️

I have a suspicion that it is certain games that cause it, specifically Ubisoft ones. They never played well with rest mode even back on PS4 (the older ACs wouldnt even let you go into rest mode for some reason), and it seems to happen to me a lot with FC6 or AC:Odyssey on rest. No solid proof though.

Or as speculated it could be certain external HDDs.

On 24/12/2021 at 12:34, JoeK said:

Also: unless you love having video clips recording all your trophy triumphs, make sure you turn off all that rubbish. God knows how much space they take up, but even after my short time with the machine, the amount of useless sodding movies I've got on the thing surely must take up a whole load of storage.

How do I do this?

2 hours ago, SeanR said:
  Hide contents

Internal storage

3156EB5F-A770-44F8-8820-C7EA7B5E41FF.thumb.jpeg.41b8ae349b96fe2cf215d4d2b0d39eaf.jpeg

external storage

40519524-5D0F-4B73-9C7E-2C152877D741.thumb.jpeg.2ba4e973043cd7fafda84d2b827d5c96.jpeg

system software

D734B625-AA06-4B30-AC5A-CDA58D63088F.thumb.jpeg.0881500191ad001dcd6045d8fe508995.jpeg

external storage

5408149A-8526-4E1D-94EB-89866436EEED.thumb.jpeg.443bef3b77237f3e6474827866ba3dc1.jpeg

in that order

but that’s normal, right?

Right?

Unfortunately so. On the bright side, I've had to do this 5 or so times and everything has always come back ok. But for now, no more rest mode for me.

23 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

How do I do this?

Sorry, not at home to check it properly but it’s somewhere in the settings area under media and sharing I think. Like all quality Sony UIs it takes a while to locate.

Apologies if this has already been asked a thousand times, but could anyone please point me in the direction of a wall plug thing I can use to charge PS5 controllers and headsets. The information I can find is that 5v 2a ones should be fine, but then other people are saying some work and some don't.

I've been doing it by plugging into the front of the console but putting the cable in and then taking it out again over and over can't be any good for the connector on the console I wouldn't have thought.

Ideally from Amazon if possible so I can get one delivered tomorrow. Many thanks.

3 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I have a suspicion that it is certain games that cause it, specifically Ubisoft ones. They never played well with rest mode even back on PS4 (the older ACs wouldnt even let you go into rest mode for some reason), and it seems to happen to me a lot with FC6 or AC:Odyssey on rest. No solid proof though.

Or as speculated it could be certain external HDDs.

Yeah ubisoft are the only games I ever had rest mode issues with. I got given far cry 6 for Christmas and it completely knackered  the installation as I had the audacity to use rest most during the update.

I couldn’t work out what was going on at first so I looked on their support forum and saw a load of people having the same issue and ubi were all like “ it’s Sony’s fault mate nothing to do with us”

13 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

Apologies if this has already been asked a thousand times, but could anyone please point me in the direction of a wall plug thing I can use to charge PS5 controllers and headsets. The information I can find is that 5v 2a ones should be fine, but then other people are saying some work and some don't.

I've been doing it by plugging into the front of the console but putting the cable in and then taking it out again over and over can't be any good for the connector on the console I wouldn't have thought.

Ideally from Amazon if possible so I can get one delivered tomorrow. Many thanks.

I used an Apple one without issues before I got the charging dock

4 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I used an Apple one without issues before I got the charging dock

Ah right cheers. I’d read the Apple ones don’t work so never tried. Got a few of those so will have a look. Tried a Switch one too which I thought might be okay but my pad pulsed once and then stopped so I assume that’s not working. 

Have just tried a Switch PSU again after another hour or so playing Spider Man and it's now charging it fine. Wonder if the pad needs to drop to a certain level before it shows as charging on the PS5 dashboard / the light will pulse?