Jump to content
IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, smac said:

So, for Xmas newbies to PS5, what add-ons and the like should we be looking to get?

 

I'll watch the vids in the OP regarding transferring. games from the PS4, although I might keep it as a second machine.

 

I just received my Pulse headphones. I had to laugh when I saw the box it came packaged in - I suspect Shopto had run out of normal sized ones, as the box was as big as a PS5 console one!

 

Still, the sound quality from them is pretty outstanding considering the cost of them. They sound better in gaming than my Sennheisers for definite, and my Arctis 9x ones too. 

 

Only downside is that at the moment, I need to give them a bit more of a stretch, as they really clamp onto my big head ;) . 

 

Still, they're fantastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

I just received my Pulse headphones. I had to laugh when I saw the box it came packaged in - I suspect Shopto had run out of normal sized ones, as the box was as big as a PS5 console one!

 

Still, the sound quality from them is pretty outstanding considering the cost of them. They sound better in gaming than my Sennheisers for definite, and my Arctis 9x ones too. 

 

Only downside is that at the moment, I need to give them a bit more of a stretch, as they really clamp onto my big head ;) . 

 

Still, they're fantastic.

 

Man I really don’t need to read this around Christmas. 
 

I’ve been so strong up to this point with my Sony XM4’s in the jack but fuck me the cable is doing my nut.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

 

Man I really don’t need to read this around Christmas. 
 

I’ve been so strong up to this point with my Sony XM4’s in the jack but fuck me the cable is doing my nut.
 

 

 

Yup. This is precisely why I forked out the money on this and a set of the Xbox wireless equivalents too. I feel awkward and somewhat guilty about spending the best part of £200 on two sets of headphones, but sodding wires are the bane of my existence and I hate them with a passion :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, JoeK said:

 

Yup. This is precisely why I forked out the money on this and a set of the Xbox wireless equivalents too. I feel awkward and somewhat guilty about spending the best part of £200 on two sets of headphones, but sodding wires are the bane of my existence and I hate them with a passion :P


Yeah fair play. Dumb question but can you not pop the PS headphones dongle in the Xbox? I know it works with the switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:


Yeah fair play. Dumb question but can you not pop the PS headphones dongle in the Xbox? I know it works with the switch.

 

I'm actually not sure. I don't think so? Probably wrong there - I know it works with a PC, mind.

 

However, this adds another layer of faff to the whole equation if you ask me. I'm a very lazy person ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Minion said:

 

So the NVME sticks are the next-gem SSD equivalents for adding storage? Simpler than what I did for the PS4 to replace the 500GB with a 2TB HD? Edit: so just a simple add-on?

 

What is the internal SSD size? Jeez, why does buying a new console mean so much homework?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also: unless you love having video clips recording all your trophy triumphs, make sure you turn off all that rubbish. God knows how much space they take up, but even after my short time with the machine, the amount of useless sodding movies I've got on the thing surely must take up a whole load of storage.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, smac said:

 

So the NVME sticks are the next-gem SSD equivalents for adding storage? Simpler than what I did for the PS4 to replace the 500GB with a 2TB HD? Edit: so just a simple add-on?


I took the 2TB drive out my PS4 (stuck 500GB) back in and now use that as an external on the PS5. It’s fine for most PS4 games, any that will benefit from the SSD can be moved in a few minutes and PS5 games that you’re not currently playing can be archived to it. I figure I’ll buy a NVME in a bit when they’re cheaper but since I’ve started using the HDD external I’ve stopped worrying about space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, smac said:

Even if those PS4 games are on an external HD?

 

Still seems to create a big "other" section in system storage yeah. It could be other stuff in there too of course but it gives you no details.

 

You can store PS5 games on an external HDD and move them back to internal when you want to play them too, quicker than re-downloading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Wired connection means it’s dead in the water for me.

 

Bit of a shame that, for sure. I mean, probably not a big deal for me as I really can't use VR headsets without my eyes melting, but yeah :(

 

Although, were it not for that, it really does sound pretty awesome, and were I able to game with VR, then I'm wondering whether the stuff it can do might outweigh the wired issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Wired connection means it’s dead in the water for me.

Seems strange they are not going fully wireless but just one cable connecting the headset to the PS5 shouldn't cause too many issues for me. Although I just know the dog will get caught in it one day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As soon as they announce a HL Alyx port, my resistance will be broken. Until then, I'll hopefully manage to remain rational and remember that my PSVR1 ended up gathering dust after the initial honeymoon period.

 

Presumably the same issues over sheer horsepower will remain. The PS5 has obviously already proven itself on the hardware front but being asked to render 2x 4k HDR images at 90 or 120Hz is going to leave us with otherwise fairly weak previous gen visuals again, presumably. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement on the weird, almost dreamlike muddiness of the PSVR1 but still.

 

I suspect that software won't be much more prolific this time around either. The chicken and egg problem with the potential sales figures and the various ways in which titles have to be bespoke creations for it - visuals, non-emetic gameplay, unique VR features, etc. - are going to be just as much of a factor again, and Sony are only going to bribe so many developers to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hmm said:

The PS5 has obviously already proven itself on the hardware front but being asked to render 2x 4k HDR images at 90 or 120Hz

 

It's not going to do 2x4K:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess that's a bit more practical then - it's already doing the higher end PS4 visuals at 4k 60Hz and this is only 1.5x or 2x that, rather than up to 4x.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 1 - the PSVR library is fantastic and while I love my Oculus, I'm excited to see what Sony's studios will do with this.  Also hoping for backwards compatibility with PSVR 1 titles as I'd love Skyrim with the new controllers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bobontheway said:

I wonder if the eye tracking is being used to ensure they only render the highest level of detail where you’re looking and allow the peripheral area to be a bit less taxing.


Yes, they talked about foveated rendering in the announcement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.