IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

9 hours ago, cubik said:

A heads up for anyone who is looking for an SSD for their PS5, the WD SN850 1TB is currently £119.99 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD_BLACK-Internal-Gaming-Technology-speeds/dp/B08KFS6THF

You'll also need a heatsink which are 10-12 quid.

It's the cheapest it's ever been, but I guess there's always a chance it could go lower on Black Friday.

I've ordered one today and if the price drops next week I'll be cheeky and ask Amazon's live chat to refund the difference and see what happens.

I have that in my PS5 and it’s certainly a good job. Even so, I’ve just over 1.6 TB to work with and I think I’ll have to get an external SSD for storage purposes at some stage. There’s still a lot of games at over 100gb.

21 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Some decent deals in the Black Friday sale (closes 29/11) on the Store for sure:

Ratchet and Clank - £52.49

Returnal: £52.49

Miles Morales - £33.49 (Ultimate edition, which includes the OG Spidey Remastered game is £52.49)

Demon's Souls - £43.39

There is a point where describing it as a sale should probably be illegal.

11 hours ago, cubik said:

I've ordered one today and if the price drops next week I'll be cheeky and ask Amazon's live chat to refund the difference and see what happens.

In my experience with price drops on Amazon (I bought a 5Tb external HDD to use with my PS4) they made me place a new order at the offer price, wait for it to arrive, and then return it on the OG order number!

Unbelievable faff!!

My PS5 has arrived and is set up; I’m just downloading some things to try. :wub: 

DualSense input detection was a bit spotty at first - is that a thing? I turned other devices (Bluetooth etc) off, tried placing the console vertically and horizontally, and waited for all of the updates to install, as well as connecting the controller directly. Seems less flaky now...

E: also my X button isn't always responsive unless I push down firmly, although I think this is improving after a few presses…

E2: booted it Sunday morning and X operated like a normal button. Although I did only test it for a couple of minutes!

Has the periodic disc spinning been properly fixed now, or is it still preferable to have the digital version?

I've not picked up my PS5 yet, but I can get Demon's Souls digital for £30 from the US store, or £30 for physical from Smyths. If the physical disc spinning is going to annoy I might go digital.

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Has the periodic disc spinning been properly fixed now, or is it still preferable to have the digital version?

I've not picked up my PS5 yet, but I can get Demon's Souls digital for £30 from the US store, or £30 for physical from Smyths. If the physical disc spinning is going to annoy I might go digital.

Seems fine, makes a racket when you power on but i didnt notice it at all after then when i had it on for a few hours the other night.

4 hours ago, Superunknown said:

It's absolutely fixed for me. It was very apparent for the first few months after launch, extremely loud on about an hourly basis, then they made a change in one of the updates and I've never heard it since.

The drive is still reasonably noisy when doing the initial install from disc, but never during gameplay any longer.

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Thanks both.

@deKay is it loud, and how long does it carry on for? I generally prefer to buy physical because it gives me the option of selling/trading later, but I'd prefer not hearing the drive spinning over whatever I'm playing.

usually only a few seconds.

56 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Lol. 

honestly, it sounds fucking berserk. Verging on disgraceful for a modern appliance.

EDIT: It occurs to me that certain fucking loud washing machines fall under the modern appliance bracket. It sounds like a fucking loud washing machine.

about the same size too, maybe we should chuck some clothes in!

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

You missed the part where I said it shocks and stuns me every time it happens. It is fucking obscene.

Aw, man. Is it really noticeable when you're playing? I'm going to be playing Demon's and Returnal and really don't want the atmosphere ruined by the behemoth kicking in over the atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

No? It only does it at boot and when starting the game in question. :huh:

I haven't booted mine in months. It just randomly spins up the disc that's in when playing other games. I should probably just take the disc out.

For those running out of fast storage, there's quite a few Black Friday deals out there for compatible SSDs for the internal slot. I have seen a few 2TB ones for £250 (which is roughly £50 off or so) - Amazon had a Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus up for that price, and I think I saw similar pricing on a WD one at Scan - so it's worth a look. 1TB ones are obvs cheaper again.

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Aw, man. Is it really noticeable when you're playing? I'm going to be playing Demon's and Returnal and really don't want the atmosphere ruined by the behemoth kicking in over the atmosphere.

No, if you're playing a game at a decent volume I really challenge you to notice it/be distracted by it. I've had a PS5 since launch and while I have heard it (more often when I first got the console) its really not a big issue.