PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Text version:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-playstation-5-cfi-1100-review-better-or-worse-than-the-launch-console

In short the new version is essentially identical to the old one, to the point where moving the new cooler on to an old model console doesn’t affect it in any measurable way. The console is also designed to use the fan very sparingly, and does not limit its performance in response to heat in any way beyond shutting down completely if it is overheated.

5 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've tried it on my TV speakers but only on a PS4 game so far (which it's not designed for) and it made the sound really tinny. Presumably will be better on an actual PS5 app. 

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Text version:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-playstation-5-cfi-1100-review-better-or-worse-than-the-launch-console

In short the new version is essentially identical to the old one, to the point where moving the new cooler on to an old model console doesn’t affect it in any measurable way. The console is also designed to use the fan very sparingly, and does not limit its performance in response to heat in any way beyond shutting down completely if it is overheated.

I noted that the new PS5 seemed a touch louder than my launch units, but according to Steve at Gamers Nexus, this is entirely normal - and even between PS5s of the same generation, there can be a per-unit variance in fan speed of around 100rpm, explaining the difference. There's the sense then that the PS5 will run as hot it needs to in order to maintain system performance and curiously, even if it gets significantly hotter, the fans won't spin up. If the machine gets reaches unsafe temperatures, it'll automatically shut down instead. General use of the fan is curious - Sony is very conservative in its use and cooling could be improved with only a minimal change in acoustics. The overall takeaway is that ensuring a quiet experience appears to be Sony's top priority.

it’s great that Sony’s priority is to get to quieter consoles.  Hopefully they keep with that philosophy with future revisions. 

38 minutes ago, Hoodedclaw said:

Anyone running a Samsung 980 without heatsink , is it work putting one on ? I have read they don't run that hot and don't really need one ?

Literally just installed my 980 with a heatsink 10 minutes ago. It's a piece of cake to put on and I bought mine from scan for £9.99.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/xclio-sp5hs-m2-pro-m2-2280-heat-sink-coolig-kit-with-thermal-pads-and-screw-driver-pc-ps5-black?utm_source=hotukdeals.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hotukdeals

It doesn't come with any instructions but this image will help out with attaching it.

3793740_1.jpg.4127935eaa25bb0ec01cc1f9a845e78a.jpg

For the sake of £9.99 I thought it was worth ensuring that the drive doesn't get too hot.

I just installed Batman: Arkham Knight on my PS5. On the dashboard icon, I pressed Start and then navigated to Manage Game Content. I was then presented with a bunch of DLC for Injustice 2. I was able to download them all, despite Injustice 2 not being installed on my PS5.

Weird, huh?

4 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Amazon had 980 pros on sale this morning for £125, but they appear to have sold out.

How about this one, with fitted heat sink?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V3Q8L7D?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Not tried it in the PS5, but had one of theirs in my PC and it was fine.

I think pretty much any gen 4 drive will be ok,

And in the "its so simple" camp we now have one user recommending a drive which is below the recommended minimum speed requirements! 👍 ... <_<

"Sequential read speed 5500 MB/s or faster is recommended" https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

24 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

And in the "its so simple" camp we now have one user recommending a drive which is below the recommended minimum speed requirements! 👍 ... <_<

"Sequential read speed 5500 MB/s or faster is recommended" https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

Good point. Picked it up from HUKD who flagged it as PS5 compatible.

Week 3 of no controller being repaired. Got an email "You recently contacted us about returning your PlayStation product, but we haven’t received it from you yet."

Yes you have - I've tracked it - 9th September delivered using the label you sent me. 

Now a 30+ minute wait on the phone

Fucking useless

On 20/09/2021 at 16:44, englishbob said:

Week 3 of no controller being repaired. Got an email "You recently contacted us about returning your PlayStation product, but we haven’t received it from you yet."

Yes you have - I've tracked it - 9th September delivered using the label you sent me. 

Now a 30+ minute wait on the phone

Fucking useless

Got through to them - the person on the Sony line was very honest - its all fucked is the impression I've got

Your hardware goes to a holding company that then forward it on - presumably some other part of the country/world - and then when they get it the repair tracking updates. Until that happens though you get automated emails saying they haven't received your return yet.

They admitted that there are issues at this holding company right now getting it out to where it needs to be - they have no idea what the issue is, if anyone is looking into it, or how long it takes, so for now just got to wait. 

Prey something doesn't go wrong with your hardware, you are in for a very long and frustrating wait that appears to need micromanagement every step of the way and long phone call waits to actually get any progress 

You could put it down to a pandemic world, or that they are a shambles and it's simply not good enough. Either way I'll be wanting a refund on my wasted PSN month(s)

6 hours ago, englishbob said:

Got through to them - the person on the Sony line was very honest - its all fucked is the impression I've got

Your hardware goes to a holding company that then forward it on - presumably some other part of the country/world - and then when they get it the repair tracking updates. Until that happens though you get automated emails saying they haven't received your return yet.

They admitted that there are issues at this holding company right now getting it out to where it needs to be - they have no idea what the issue is, if anyone is looking into it, or how long it takes, so for now just got to wait. 

Prey something doesn't go wrong with your hardware, you are in for a very long and frustrating wait that appears to need micromanagement every step of the way and long phone call waits to actually get any progress 

You could put it down to a pandemic world, or that they are a shambles and it's simply not good enough. Either way I'll be wanting a refund on my wasted PSN month(s)

This is useful to know. I sent my other controller in for repair for stick drift the other week. I received an email today saying they haven’t received it yet, so I guess it’s the same issue you are having.

luckily I have a spare 2nd controller I’m using in the meantime, so I think I’ll just wait it out until they eventually get round to repairing it. It’s not very good customer service though, so I understand your frustration if you’ve only got one controller on the go. At the same time, I imagine they are inundated with returns atm and it can’t be easy during a pandemic. 

Hopefully you don’t have to wait too long. 🤞

16 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah the problem you have is developers will be developing on the assumption that a certain spec exists.

I thought the expandable storage had to meet a certain spec, otherwise it wouldn’t work?

@Popo

The spec is simply, must be gen 4 pcie. It won't work if a gen3 drive is put in.

But considering Sonys website basically says, we don't guarantee games will work properly off it,  and if it don't, put it on the internal.

Not really very reassuring as a long term option when the first party devs actually start using to its fullest.

2 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

But considering Sonys website basically says, we don't guarantee games will work properly off it,  and if it don't, put it on the internal.

I’m sure that’s just a general but of blurb to cover themselves, I wouldn’t expect any issues with drives of the correct spec.

10 hours ago, Malc said:

This is useful to know. I sent my other controller in for repair for stick drift the other week. I received an email today saying they haven’t received it yet, so I guess it’s the same issue you are having.

luckily I have a spare 2nd controller I’m using in the meantime, so I think I’ll just wait it out until they eventually get round to repairing it. It’s not very good customer service though, so I understand your frustration if you’ve only got one controller on the go. At the same time, I imagine they are inundated with returns atm and it can’t be easy during a pandemic. 

Hopefully you don’t have to wait too long. 🤞

Things wouldn't be so bad if they just let you use a PS4 Dualshock with PS5 games

On 20/09/2021 at 13:00, MansizeRooster said:

I just installed Batman: Arkham Knight on my PS5. On the dashboard icon, I pressed Start and then navigated to Manage Game Content. I was then presented with a bunch of DLC for Injustice 2. I was able to download them all, despite Injustice 2 not being installed on my PS5.

Weird, huh?

There have been a few weird glitches like that. Ace Combat 5 and 7 are/were treated as the same game, meaning you had to use the version drop-down thing. And Mortal Kombat 11 lists all the X DLC as well as the 11 DLC.