PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

3 hours ago, Len said:

It's so intriguing, I have so many questions. 

To some it might seem weird. Especially if you don't have kids and other adult pressures in your life. For us it's a way to get back to our youth. Care free gaming, for hours and hours. No pressures, interruptions or commitments. One weekend of gaming bliss. I usually find 3-4 hrs a week of console gaming. So to spend over a month's worth of hours over a weekend with a like minded friend is amazing.

9 hours ago, Alex W. said:

SCART leads were the one output method that gave you a green screen. At a time when Dixon’s etc. were touting the benefits of SCART alongside the DVD boom, it was a bit of a fuck-up, albeit only for Europe.

I can barely remember but I think I ended up with a Scart which had a switch on it that worked. I had other problems with it being NTSC as well. Got it chipped and everything was fine, although I think I ended up using some DVD X switch trick on a replacement console.

Whatever, it was all a hassle.

44 minutes ago, Quexex said:

To some it might seem weird. Especially if you don't have kids and other adult pressures in your life. For us it's a way to get back to our youth. Care free gaming, for hours and hours. No pressures, interruptions or commitments. One weekend of gaming bliss. I usually find 3-4 hrs a week of console gaming. So to spend over a month's worth of hours over a weekend with a like minded friend is amazing.

Oh I've got kids, I totally get it. It sounds amazing! :)

I'd probably just try and turf them all out the house and fail miserably. :lol:

28 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I can barely remember but I think I ended up with a Scart which had a switch on it that worked. I had other problems with it being NTSC as well. Got it chipped and everything was fine, although I think I ended up using some DVD X switch trick on a replacement console.

Whatever, it was all a hassle.

Yeah, there were cables which cut over to the composite signal instead of RGB. We had a weird Alba CRT which had separate RGB and composite input choices off the same input socket which did the same thing. It was ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

To this day I suspect it was an oversight and the embedded DVD video decoder only supported YCrCb

Would that mean the DVD Region X maybe provided its own decoder? I remember it gave you RGB over SCART.

11 hours ago, Len said:

Oh I've got kids, I totally get it. It sounds amazing! :)

I'd probably just try and turf them all out the house and fail miserably. :lol:

Yeah, I did manage to turf them out when the boys were younger, but in the end it was more convenient to do an AirB&B.

Ok got one of these today, wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Now stupid question time: I have a PS4 with my data and my wife's data. I don't have PS Plus. I can see you can do a network transfer of data between PS4 and PS5 when you set it up. Will this copy all user data, inclusing my wife's, no fuss? Will it ask for other users to login? Will it wipe the data on the PS4?

My wife is about 80 hours into Persona 5 you see and if I fuck it up I am a dead man.

15 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

My wife is about 80 hours into Persona 5 you see and if I fuck it up I am a dead man.

With these stakes, I would just buy 1 month of PS Plus and upload the savegame to the cloud. 😬

32 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Ok got one of these today, wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Now stupid question time: I have a PS4 with my data and my wife's data. I don't have PS Plus. I can see you can do a network transfer of data between PS4 and PS5 when you set it up. Will this copy all user data, inclusing my wife's, no fuss? Will it ask for other users to login? Will it wipe the data on the PS4?

It didn't work that well in my experience, but it doesn't destroy the data on the PS4. Rather than try to do it all at once, you can do the transfer piecemeal, so you can bring that singular save over if needs be. Also you could put it on USB. Though given she's obviously only just started, is it that big a deal (Persona 5 joke)?

Well I bought 1 month PS Plus because I assumed you'd get cloud saves for family members, but no apparently that is the one PS Plus feature you can't share, hey ho.

So I will probably backup to USB to be on the safe side, then try and do a network transfer in the initial setup even though that is a pain in the arse having 2 consoles setup (again I have read you can only do a system transfer once on initial setup as well for reasons).

For an industry where you are expected to change machine every few years they don't half make it a fucking palaver.

18 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Well I bought 1 month PS Plus because I assumed you'd get cloud saves for family members, but no apparently that is the one PS Plus feature you can't share, hey ho.

So I will probably backup to USB to be on the safe side, then try and do a network transfer in the initial setup even though that is a pain in the arse having 2 consoles setup (again I have read you can only do a system transfer once on initial setup as well for reasons).

For an industry where you are expected to change machine every few years they don't half make it a fucking palaver.

Damit, good to know, sorry to have mislead, I though it did...

37 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

I just signed up for Beta and install SSD Hard Drive on my PS5. When I will get approval for Beta unlocking or whatever it is. 

I signed up a couple of week ago and I've heard nothing. I'm guessing we'll need to wait until full release now :(

Shame, as my ssd is full.

36 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

So my PS5 is out of action until there is accept or firmware update. Get on with it Sony. I am not going to remove SSD. 

Wait, did you already install an SSD without the necessary firmware...? 🤨

WHY?

41 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

So my PS5 is out of action until there is accept or firmware update. Get on with it Sony. I am not going to remove SSD. 

You will probably need to remove that SSD first in order to actually install the firmware whenever it's available to you. 

On 06/09/2021 at 11:23, Alex W. said:

SCART leads were the one output method that gave you a green screen. At a time when Dixon’s etc. were touting the benefits of SCART alongside the DVD boom, it was a bit of a fuck-up, albeit only for Europe.

This really irritated me at the time. I used to wiggle the Scart plug out slightly so I’d get the equivalent of a fuzzy RF connection through it - but at least it was in colour. I had an Xbox as well - and for that you had to buy an overpriced crap remote control to watch DVDs. 

30 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

Didn't know it is not released yet as I heard about it for 3 months. Thought it is done by now. 

The beta is still going on. If they are going to mention anything, I think your best bet will be the upcoming PS Showcase this Thursday. That or a very obvious blogpost. No way Sony would finally open up that feature to consumers without some form of marketing.

Oh and yes, you'll need to remove that SSD before you can update.