PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

afbeelding.thumb.png.d27d959d4c93777b787570cb4b74307b.png

Sometimes I wonder if Sony even looks back at what they did in previous gens.
At this point, I'm fully expecting Microsoft to do a "How to upgrade your Xbox One games on XSX" vid in the same vein as the infamous Sony "lend a PS4 game" vid years back.

4 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

afbeelding.thumb.png.d27d959d4c93777b787570cb4b74307b.png

Sometimes I wonder if Sony even looks back at what they did in previous gens.
At this point, I'm fully expecting Microsoft to do a "How to upgrade your Xbox One games on XSX" vid in the same vein as the infamous Sony "lend a PS4 game" vid years back.

I honestly don’t think any of it really matters in the grand scheme. They’re so entrenched in most people’s mind as THE console, they can pretty much do what they want.

Just now, JPL said:

I honestly don’t think any of it really matters in the grand scheme. They’re so entrenched in most people’s mind as THE console, they can pretty much do what they want.

That's exactly what they thought back then. PS2 was so huge, what on earth could go wrong with PS3? Yes, it did well, but the PS3 is the reason Microsoft finally got a real foothold. With a completely borked console design*, I might add.

*: I've suffered through six 360 RRoDs.

I think that suggesting that MS - or indeed anyone - had a 'borked console design' relative to the hot mess that was the PS3 is quite the take!

I do know what you mean, obviously, but besides the reliability issues, MS's design was far and away the more sensible in terms of ease of development, cost, etc. Sony's hubris at the time was as much reflected in the design of the PS3 as anything else they did. Expecting all developers to tailor their approaches to the PS3 first and foremost was one of the main reasons that so many games ran like absolute ass on it in comparison to 360. It was a nightmare for anyone doing cross platform development.

I never minded the look of the PS3 but can’t stand the PS5. The only one which was actually borked though was the PS2 with its green DVD playback back when Scart leads weren’t the norm. Also, the PS2 like the PS3 did things in its own way, leading to lots of early games looking very much sub-Dreamcast.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the new CFI-1100 PS5 revision? I’m trying to find out if it still whines like a three year old not getting an ice-cream. If it doesn’t I’ll pick one up.

I had a gaming weekend in an AirB&B with an old friend over the weekend - a great opportunity to catch-up in real life and escape our families!

I finally finished Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart Wow! Really impressive last act. thoroughly enjoyable at 60FPS (I hated it at 30FPS and didn't click with it at all).

What was most interesting was the obvious difference to both of us (my mate is a casual gamer) was the lighting between R&C and Ghost of Tsushima. Raytracing makes everything look like it belongs in the scene in R&C. Whilst GoT has some fantastic lighting sometimes the characters don't feel like they are part of the same scene. It's a real shame GoT:DC is such a light touch PS5 update. I appreciate 60FPS always but we had that in a patch already. I've often wondered if the difference between RT and screen space reflections plus traditional lighting would be noticeable to the more casual player but it definitely was.

My other observation was 'coil whine', my PS5 has never done this to any noticeable degree in my home (which is a 3yo build so modern electrics). The AirB&B had proper old electrics some of the plugs looks like the worst DIY jobs you've seen (one was upside-down). As a result the coil whine was clearly audible which explains why some people say they have it and others don't I'd say at a guess it's not necessarily just down to the machine you get, but also related to how old your electrics are and how dirty your mains supply is. The electrics were so dodgy that at one point my beast laptop (has two PSUs to drive a desktop class 2080) killed the power to the whole building, somewhat disturbingly this didn't blow the fuse and it all came back on by itself...

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

That's exactly what they thought back then. PS2 was so huge, what on earth could go wrong with PS3? Yes, it did well, but the PS3 is the reason Microsoft finally got a real foothold. With a completely borked console design*, I might add.

Despite the absolute shit show that was the PS3 era and the fact it was up against the greatest console of all time (360) Sony still won the generation on sales 🤔

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I never minded the look of the PS3 but can’t stand the PS5. The only one which was actually borked though was the PS2 with its green DVD playback back when Scart leads weren’t the norm.

Speaking of which, does anyone have the new CFI-1100 PS5 revision? I’m trying to find out if it still whines like a three year old not getting an ice-cream. If it doesn’t I’ll pick one up.

Not sure - have you had a PS5 with coil whine before? See above, not that that is an excuse for the console to give you coil whine but it could be the reason.

3 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Despite the absolute shit show that was the PS3 era and the fact it was up against the greatest console of all time (360) Sony still won the generation on sales 🤔

Yeah, in terms of exposure 360 was way ahead in US and UK, the rest of the world stuck with Sony. It's a weird imbalance that can lead to some heated debates (most game journalists in the Netherlands are (still) convinced the Dutch public completely embraced the 360, while the figures paint a very different story).

Still, I feel Sony allowed the 360 to become as big as it got because of them dropping the ball multiple times. In the same way Microsoft completely dropped the entire playing field with that Xbone presentation.

6 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Not sure - have you had a PS5 with coil whine before? See above, not that that is an excuse for the console to give you coil whine but it could be the reason.

Yeah, my PS5 gave off a horrible, not particularly loud, but very high pitched whine. Some people can probably tolerate this but I found it like nails down a chalk-board and sold it. I’ve heard a few excuses for this from them needing to be ‘broken in’ to loose stickers. Old electrics is a new one on me. All I know is that I’ve never had any other console or electric device that’s made such a noise. My Series X is all but silent.

25 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I never minded the look of the PS3 but can’t stand the PS5. The only one which was actually borked though was the PS2 with its green DVD playback back when Scart leads weren’t the norm.

SCART leads were the one output method that gave you a green screen. At a time when Dixon’s etc. were touting the benefits of SCART alongside the DVD boom, it was a bit of a fuck-up, albeit only for Europe.

14 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yeah, in terms of exposure 360 was way ahead in US and UK, the rest of the world stuck with Sony. It's a weird imbalance that can lead to some heated debates (most game journalists in the Netherlands are (still) convinced the Dutch public completely embraced the 360, while the figures paint a very different story).

Still, I feel Sony allowed the 360 to become as big as it got because of them dropping the ball multiple times. In the same way Microsoft completely dropped the entire playing field with that Xbone presentation.

You really sure in the UK? That's not really the impression I got. 

The biggest flip I felt was around 2009/2010.

Sony basically relaunched the hardware with the PS3 Slim, with a big focus on first-party development and shared engine/development tools, that's the momentum that basically just kept going into the PS4. From 2006-2009 it was a bit of a disaster. The losses on the expensive hardware were even more constly to them than the RRoD was to MS. 

The Xbox 360 feels like the inverse. It was vital in the beginning especially with it's online focus and strong first-party line up, and this was all reorganise with a big cull around 2010 (I was at a MGS related studio at the time, so was aware of it) and it all moved into a big focus on the Kinect and a coasting-along reliance on 3rd party exclusive content for them... and all of this carried on into the Xbox One. 

Also, just to add, my launch day PS5 is completely silent - and I mean completely silent - and I've never had an issue with it, bar one crash when playing Miles Morales on launch... also a massive Touchwood. 

I also have a Series X and a Series S, and have also had not one single issue with them, ever.... and they're both completely silent. Touchwood.

I also use all three of them all of the time. Never have I had hardware that's so good. 

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

With a completely borked console design*, I might add.

I still have a 360 Slim I bought on release day (July 2010?) Last time I checked it still worked, too… so I guess they figured it out eventually. ;) 

15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also, just to add, my launch day PS5 is completely silent - and I mean completely silent

Digital?

Mine is silent besides the disc spin up, and even that's not really an issue since they fixed it spinning up for no reason every hour or so during play. It's a very welcome change after years of both of my PS4s constantly attempting to achieve flight.

5 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I still have a 360 Slim I bought on release day (July 2010?) Last time I checked it still worked, too… so I guess they figured it out eventually. ;) 

Oh, yes they did. One/two years ago there was an interview or something in which it was confirmed that Microsoft knew the design was faulty and as a delay would give Sony too much of a headstart they just proceeded and brute-force-repaired themselves through the issues. Revisions got rid of most of the insane problems.

The Xbox Series are a far cry from those days though.

When I first got my PS5 it had a very faint high pitch whining noise. I’d actually forgotten about it until reading the last few posts in this thread.

so 6 months (or however old it is ) on and it’s fine or my hearing has got worse. 
 I use it a lot and I’ve not had enough crashes to be bothered - the fact it starts up so quickly probably helps.

My issues are

-that the dual sense battery life is still a bit disappointing

- you can’t pause a YouTube upload and resume later- it’s all or nothing, and it doesn’t seem to want to do it in rest mode so I leave it on and switch off the pad and the tv.

- and the biggest complaint is it doesn’t play well with my BT Smart Hub 2, especially coming back out of rest mode where it loses internet connection and I have to manually reset it. Before anyone suggests it, hard wiring to the hub is not an option and I tried power line adapters but they’re on different circuits.

11 minutes ago, hmm said:

Digital?

Mine is silent besides the disc spin up, and even that's not really an issue since they fixed it spinning up for no reason every hour or so during play. It's a very welcome change after years of both of my PS4s constantly attempting to achieve flight.

Mine has a disc drive yeah, and it is quite noisy when it spins up. So is the drive in the Xbox Series X, there's not really much to differentiate them. 

Tell you what the biggest difference is! The beep on start up. The Xbox one is nice and gentle compared to the PS5's skreech. 

35 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Tell you what the biggest difference is! The beep on start up. The Xbox one is nice and gentle compared to the PS5's skreech. 

When car manufacturers are turning to videogame companies to make their bings and bings sound less hideous (Nissan / Bandai Namco) it amazes me that the PS5 switches on with a noise that sounds like it's from a 1980s microwave.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

SCART leads were the one output method that gave you a green screen. At a time when Dixon’s etc. were touting the benefits of SCART alongside the DVD boom, it was a bit of a fuck-up, albeit only for Europe.

You had to get a different kind of scart lead didn’t you? Did an RF lead give non-green dvd-playback?

Whatever, I remember loads of people getting their new PS2’s and being confronted by green films.

12 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

You had to get a different kind of scart lead didn’t you? Did an RF lead give non-green dvd-playback?

Whatever, I remember loads of people getting their new PS2’s and being confronted by green films.

Wasn't PS2 DVD playback via RGB green to deter copying of films?

I seem to remember that being the reason / excuse given 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

58 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Wasn't PS2 DVD playback via RGB green to deter copying of films?

I seem to remember that being the reason / excuse given 

So, specifically, if you played DVDs it forced YCrCb output instead of RGB, which gave a green image on an RGB SCART cable. To this day I suspect it was an oversight and the embedded DVD video decoder only supported YCrCb. You could get exactly the same video quality through YCrCb cables in that mode, and PS2 supported macrovision antipiracy, so broken RGB output did nothing to reduce piracy.

4 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Yeah, my PS5 gave off a horrible, not particularly loud, but very high pitched whine. Some people can probably tolerate this but I found it like nails down a chalk-board and sold it. I’ve heard a few excuses for this from them needing to be ‘broken in’ to loose stickers. Old electrics is a new one on me. All I know is that I’ve never had any other console or electric device that’s made such a noise. My Series X is all but silent.

Ah, that's not what I experienced - I heard coil whine could also be a buzzing sound which is what my PS5 was doing on shonky electrics... I can't hear crickets any more so I could have coil whine but not be able to hear it! Getting old kinda sucks ;)

6 hours ago, Quexex said:

I had a gaming weekend in an AirB&B with an old friend over the weekend

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

This sounds brilliant, what a great idea.

What if you don't have any friends? Asking for a frie...never mind

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

This sounds brilliant, what a great idea.

We have been doing it for a few years now, although been nearly 2 years since the last one due to covid restrictions! Worth checking the TV in the AirB&B I found out at the last minute from the host that the TV was 720p which wasn't going to cut it. So I chucked a 32inch 1080p set in the back of the car + Quest 2, beast PC and a PS5.  It's fucking great though - endless gaming, a few films and lots of food. We both have families so this sort of gaming time is a rare beast.