IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

My machine was well behaved today, at least when playing games. Played Mass Effect most of the morning and afternoon, and then Destiny 2 in the evening. I'd recorded the final 30 mins of our raid in Destiny 2 tonight, and wanted to cut that down to the final 10 or so minutes to post on YouTube. The PS5 kept crashing and shutting down. I managed to get it cut down and saved as a separate file, but after the fourth shutdown I just gave up. :( It's going to have to be another call to Sony.

Someone asked if it was new in the box or not. I'm really not sure. 

27 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

And (hopefully) a 60FPS patch for the first game shadow dropped at the end of the presentation. :)

That would be awesome, I started playing it at launch but didn't get far so would be happy to start again. 

So I just got Returnal today, and it kindly reminded me that PS5 3D Audio is a thing. So I dutifully plugged in my earphones into the controller and hey presto, it works - that's nice. Unfortunately I lose some of the bass I usually get through my earphones via the TV, but as they've specifically designed the audio with 3D in mind I will persevere.

Anyway in looking up the 3D Audio it turns out a bunch of PS5 games already support it, but I couldn't find an up to date definitive list which is annoying, even on PlayStation.com. The reason I want to know is that if its not using 3D audio I'd rather listen using my earphones plugged into the TV. I know it supposedly enhances PS4 games automatically with the 3d audio too, but I'm not that arsed unless its a big improvement for those.

Also wondering what your experiences are with the 3D audio compared to headphones plugged into the TV? And whether anyone has tried USB headphones plugged into the PS5 rather than in the controller?

I see Resident Evil 8 and Demons Souls are also 3D audio games, I'll have to try them again with the controller setup.

PS I still haven't gone into the 3D Audio profile setup on the PS5 which is apparently vital to match your ears, so don't forget to do that. Maybe that will improve the effect once I'm on the correct profile. The PS5 should really get you to do this on startup or at least remind you. And other games with 3D audio design should remind you at the start, just like Returnal, or people will just forget it exists!

Yeh, I was asking about this the other day. So are you just setting to stereo or surround for the headphones after setting up the 3d audio 'level'? I think it should be stereo then it does the rest for you but am happy to be corrected.

Demon's Souls, £60.89

Ghost of Tsushima, £31.34

Miles Morales, £41.49 (£60.89 for the Ultimate version including Spider-Man Remastered)

Sackboy, £51.59

(All assuming the UK Hot Deals site is accurate - I haven't actually checked myself.)

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

So I just got Returnal today, and it kindly reminded me that PS5 3D Audio is a thing. So I dutifully plugged in my earphones into the controller and hey presto, it works - that's nice. Unfortunately I lose some of the bass I usually get through my earphones via the TV, but as they've specifically designed the audio with 3D in mind I will persevere.

Anyway in looking up the 3D Audio it turns out a bunch of PS5 games already support it, but I couldn't find an up to date definitive list which is annoying, even on PlayStation.com. The reason I want to know is that if its not using 3D audio I'd rather listen using my earphones plugged into the TV. I know it supposedly enhances PS4 games automatically with the 3d audio too, but I'm not that arsed unless its a big improvement for those.

Also wondering what your experiences are with the 3D audio compared to headphones plugged into the TV? And whether anyone has tried USB headphones plugged into the PS5 rather than in the controller?

I see Resident Evil 8 and Demons Souls are also 3D audio games, I'll have to try them again with the controller setup.

PS I still haven't gone into the 3D Audio profile setup on the PS5 which is apparently vital to match your ears, so don't forget to do that. Maybe that will improve the effect once I'm on the correct profile. The PS5 should really get you to do this on startup or at least remind you. And other games with 3D audio design should remind you at the start, just like Returnal, or people will just forget it exists!

I played Returnal with the Sony PS5 Pulse headset and trusty noise cancelling XM3. I notice little to no difference so I stuck with the XM3. Better sound, better bass. Sure it lacks the 3D but I am nowhere pro enough to make that work for me ("I can hear what enemy shoots what at me from what distance") or care enough about it. Sure it's neat to hear the 3D effect but I much prefer clear audio and deep bass.

Also, comfort wise: XM3 > Pulse.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Demon's Souls, £60.89

Miles Morales, £41.49 (£60.89 for the Ultimate version including Spider-Man Remastered)

Sackboy, £51.59

(All assuming the UK Hot Deals site is accurate - I haven't actually checked myself.)

In terms of recent first party stuff, this has to be the worst one of these sales by some distance. A small selection of games that have already been available for less from various retailers and are still higher than last-gen prices. 

While still underwhelming, Smyths have them for a bit less so hopefully other retailers will go a step further - Tsushima is £24.99, Sackboy £44.99 (£41.99 PS4), Demon’s Souls £49.99 and Miles £37.99 / £49.99 Ultimate.

44 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Demon's Souls, £60.89

Sackboy, £51.59

I got Ghost for about £2 more than that three months ago. What a sale!

18 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Hot take - props to Sony for not absolutely cratering the value of a new gen game that came out just six months ago.

This is what puts me off from buying games at full price most of the time, especially if I still were to buy Ubisoft's game. You'd be daft to buy any Ubisoft game for full price on day one. Wait 4 weeks and pay less than half.

50 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

I think there's about 446 other games in the sale, I'm sure you can find something!

Hot take - props to Sony for not absolutely cratering the value of a new gen game that came out just six months ago.

It's already cratered for anyone with enough sense to not buy a digital PS5.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

I played Returnal with the Sony PS5 Pulse headset and trusty noise cancelling XM3. I notice little to no difference so I stuck with the XM3. Better sound, better bass. Sure it lacks the 3D but I am nowhere pro enough to make that work for me ("I can hear what enemy shoots what at me from what distance") or care enough about it. Sure it's neat to hear the 3D effect but I much prefer clear audio and deep bass.

Also, comfort wise: XM3 > Pulse.

But 3D audio works with all headphones? 

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but is this 3D audio you’re all talking about similar to what’s on Xbox; DTS:X, Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos?

In that it's virtualised 3D audio out of a stereo pair of speakers, but Dolby Atmos can produce sound from 32 objects in a 3D space simultaneously, PlayStations Tempest Engine can produce 300+ objects simultaneously.