PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Quick query if that is alright, I wanted to replay Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons on my PS5 and remember having it as part of PS+ when it came out on the PS3 back in 2014.

Had a look on the store via the console the other option was to purchase it or sign upto PlayStation Now to stream it. Checked back at my trophies to make sure I had played it and I could see the trophy list for the game.

Is that version I got via PS+ not compatible to re-download the game at all? Aware actual PS3 discs wouldn't work but as there are PS3/PS4 versions of this game and it shows up on the store to purchase the PS4 version, surely it should allow me to download it as it was initially in my library back when I downloaded the free game (as part of PS+) onto my PS3. he regions of the two consoles are the same as well as my profile.

PS5 doesn't play PS3 games. I also don't appear to own the PS4 version, so presumably whenever they gave it away on PS Plus, they didn't give it away as a cross-gen title PS3 to PS4.

Right trigger on one of my controllers just broke. Presses down and stays down unless you flick it back up. 

Hardly used it at all really, certainly has never been hammered.

Amazon say I can send the whole thing back ( controller was bought with PS5 ) for full-refund, but they won't just replace the controller...

Guess I'll try to go direct to SONY.

What a FAF.

*edit

All worked out quite nicely in the end. After Amazon telling me SONY wouldn't real with the controller and only offering full refund on the entire console, we finally agreed on a 10% refund - £45 which I was happy enough with. I gave SONY a call anyway, and they will swap my controller for a new one. Result!

Sorry, this sort of question may get asked a lot, but there's 701 pages to read through...

I heard about the PS5 coming with 20 classic PS4 games, is that something I've misheard? I think it is, but if anyone could shed light on how best to experience them if they are available somehow, I would like to know.

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Sorry, this sort of question may get asked a lot, but there's 701 pages to read through...

I heard about the PS5 coming with 20 classic PS4 games, is that something I've misheard? I think it is, but if anyone could shed light on how best to experience them if they are available somehow, I would like to know.

Yep if you have PS+ you get the collection.

Best way to experience them is with a big grin on your face.

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yep if you have PS+ you get the collection.

Best way to experience them is with a big grin on your face.

Ah, thanks, I guess what the question I mean to get to is "how can I get PS+ cheaply?"

58 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Ah, thanks, I guess what the question I mean to get to is "how can I get PS+ cheaply?"

I think the current cheapest for 12 months is ShopTo at £42.85.

You can usually get a year for ~£37 if you buy it at the right time. It could be a while before such offers will roll around again, though; official discounts typically hit late November.

Yep the deals are a bit poor at the moment. Around Black Friday is often a good time, not much use at the moment but you can stack them at least.

Worth checking there are no deals on PSN for new subscribers as those bought with cheap credit can often be good.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

There have also been a further 11 or so games on top of those given away free recently including stuff like Rez Infinite, Ratchet and Clank, Astro Bot Rescue Mission etc. Not sure if you can still currently claim them. Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is currently still free though until 14th May, as far as I’m aware.

As well as checking Shopto it’s worth checking CDkeys out, just in case they’re a bit cheaper. Don’t forget if you buy a cheap sub off PSN you can always use Wallet Top Up cards off Shopto/CDkeys etc to make it even cheaper! 

PS+ for £40-50 is a bargain if you've never played the games available. 

I've never played any, and am now overwhelmed with some amazingness to play though for the next year or so.

Since getting my PS5 i've been working my way through uncharted 4 which seems never ending. I'll follow that with Last Guardian then Last of Us.

9 hours ago, CrichStand said:

There have also been a further 11 or so games on top of those given away free recently including stuff like Rez Infinite, Ratchet and Clank, Astro Bot Rescue Mission etc. Not sure if you can still currently claim them. Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is currently still free though until 14th May, as far as I’m aware.

These don't require PS Plus so you would be actually mad to not make a quickie Sony account and claim them even if you've no idea when you'll get a PS4/5.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Haptic feedback on your face? So you can actually get punched?

In theory it could help reduce motion sickness by simulating the vibration of footfalls/movement near your ears. I swear I read about Sony researching this exact topic, although now all my searches are just bringing up people reporting the new rumours.

16 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is currently still free though until 14th May, as far as I’m aware.

Thanks for the reminder! Downloading now :)

Wired have a very unchallenging puff piece up to read.

A couple of quotes:

“We’re working as hard as we can to ameliorate that situation,” Ryan says on a Zoom call, mere hours after receiving his second Covid-19 vaccination shot. “We see production ramping up over the summer and certainly into the second half of the year, and we would hope to see some sort of return to normality in terms of the balance between supply and demand during that period.”

Anytime a new console is on the horizon, and again when it's released, Cerny travels around the world talking to studios about its capabilities, and he’s heard it all—including literal boos, as when he told one unnamed developer years ago that the forthcoming PS4 might use a bit of Flash memory to help cache data. (The boo worked; Sony moved away from that architecture choice.)

Cerny’s most recent developer tour happened virtually, of course, but he was surprised by what he found. “The conversations can be very contentious,” he says. “I actively seek out the people who will have strong opinions, who clearly lay out all the issues they're having with the hardware, so that we can get busy thinking about how we can address those in the future.” The PS3’s architecture made it difficult to get a graphics pipeline going; the PS4’s CPU wasn’t as powerful as folks hoped. The PS5, Cerny says, has found miraculously little pushback.

According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. “There’s an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions,” Hulst says. “Big, small, different genres.” And in many of those cases, Sony’s shared services became a lifeline for studios navigating lockdown. 

I thought you were surely being uncharitable but:

It’s not engineering scarcity to create marketing buzz like a streetwear company; it’s trying to get its $399 console into customers’ hands.

My toned arse.

On 11/05/2021 at 08:14, Dudley said:

These don't require PS Plus so you would be actually mad to not make a quickie Sony account and claim them even if you've no idea when you'll get a PS4/5.

They're all no longer available, aside from Horizon which is available until tomorrow.