PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Just now, lordscotland said:

Yours was from smyths want it? When did you get notice of dispatch, I’m not panicking but I’ve heard nothing since the order acknowledgment 

Yeah it was. Got an email yesterday dpd had the delivery but not the package yet. Then l checked the email on sat night and it updated to say Monday. Then 8am this morning I get a text, it will be with me in an hour. And it was!

So a bit disjointed but they quite literally delivered. Sure yours will be fine! 

Sony have bought a managing stake in Discord and it will be integrated in PS5 and PlayStation Mobile early next year, that's pretty huge news and it means PlayStation's voice and party system should be hugely improved. 

So had my PS5 standard edition arrive late last night.

First impressions. Size, obvious. It is big, almost didn't fit where I intended to put it.

Fast setup, really snappy menues compared to the lag fest that is PS4 Pro.

Tried Astrobot, the controller is nice! Rumble, triggers and even the speaker really bring something new. But motion controls can still fuck off.

10 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Sony have bought a managing stake in Discord and it will be integrated in PS5 and PlayStation Mobile early next year, that's pretty huge news and it means PlayStation's voice and party system should be hugely improved. 

Also increases the possibility of chat in cross play titles with PC without the dev having to provide a solution.

1 hour ago, lankysanchez said:

Mine arrived this morning! Staying in the box until my son gets home from school later though. 

Might want to install all the updates for the console, controller, Astro, and any other game you have first then re-box it.

12 hours ago, gooner4life said:

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

Also increases the possibility of chat in cross play titles with PC without the dev having to provide a solution.

The stories i read seem to think it’s not going to be a party char replacement but integration into the chat/forum section and PlayStation, if so a shame as having discord would be a huge bonus over the awful party setup.

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Might want to install all the updates for the console, controller, Astro, and any other game you have first then re-box it.

Good call - all the updates only took about 10mins (300mbps fibre yay) but I thought I’d better put all his Lego games on there as well and that took an hour or so to get done. Safely back in the box now. 

To be fair, he was quite patient when helping me set up the Series X and Switch recently…

19 hours ago, Dudley said:

So long they keep their hands off the rest of Discord.

I don't think they will. Given that Discord turned down Microsofts buyout I'd suggest they want to maintain control of Discord as much as possible rather than being homogenised into MS Teams or similar. I guess having Sony take a stake give them some cashflow and create some PS integration is a better route. I don't believe Sony has bought enough of the company to have a 'controlling' stake so they can not steer the core development of Discord, just ask for PS integration. However tehy have cockblocked any further buyouts.

46 minutes ago, Quexex said:

. I don't believe Sony has bought enough of the company to have a 'controlling' stake so they can not steer the core development of Discord, just ask for PS integration. However tehy have cockblocked any further buyouts.

They spent $10b on that?  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

They spent $10b on that?  :lol:

Nah that was what MS was offering, Sony paid at a guess around 30% of that as I believe that was the stake they took in Discord - which would probably be much less than 30% of a full buyout.

7 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Nah that was what MS was offering, Sony paid at a guess around 30% of that as I believe that was the stake they took in Discord - which would probably be much less than 30% of a full buyout.

A quick google, minority stake which suggest it may be less than 30% but I guess more like 20%. Discords series H funding round was 100million dollars, so maybe 20million dollars investment by Sony. Certainly not 3billion as I previously thought it could be.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-deals/Sony-takes-aim-at-gamers-with-Discord-stake

Ha proves what I know about stakes in a business - a minority stake is less than 50% - therefore it could be 30%... what ever it is it's a slice of the 100mill discord raised.

Yep, Discord is currently valued at about $6Bn. Given that the whole series H funding round Sony participated in was only $100m, Sony almost certainly owns less than 2% of the company. This is them showing a bit of confidence in a firm they’re partnering with, not a takeover.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I currently listen to my PS5 via stereo headphones that are plugged into my headphone DAC amp, which is, in turn, connected to my TV via optical. Will that give me this fancy 3D audio, or do I have to connect my headphones to the PS5 controller?

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I currently listen to my PS5 via stereo headphones that are plugged into my headphone DAC amp, which is, in turn, connected to my TV via optical. Will that give me this fancy 3D audio, or do I have to connect my headphones to the PS5 controller?

No, it won't. Unless things have changed recently this is a bit of a mess. If your DAC has USB in you can try connect it directly to your PS5. This will, in theory, support 3D sound but the chances are it either won't work because it's UAC2, like mine, which PS5 inexplicably doesn't support despite it being a decade old and pretty much ubiquitous. Even if it does work the chances are the sound will be almost inaudibly quiet, bizarrely. Your choices are Sony's Pulse headset, I've not tried it but if it's anything like Sonys other gaming headsets it'll sound mediocre at best. Alternatively, the sound from the DualSense headphone jack isn't too shabby, much better than the PS4's effort. Try plugging your headphones straight into it, as long as they're not 250 ohm monsters you'll be ok. I use an old pair of Grado SR80's and they work fine. 

19 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

No, it won't. Unless things have changed recently this is a bit of a mess. If your DAC has USB in you can try connect it directly to your PS5. This will, in theory, support 3D sound but the chances are it either won't work because it's UAC2, like mine, which PS5 inexplicably doesn't support despite it being a decade old and pretty much ubiquitous. Even if it does work the chances are the sound will be almost inaudibly quiet, bizarrely. Your choices are Sony's Pulse headset, I've not tried it but if it's anything like Sonys other gaming headsets it'll sound mediocre at best. Alternatively, the sound from the DualSense headphone jack isn't too shabby, much better than the PS4's effort. Try plugging your headphones straight into it, as long as they're not 250 ohm monsters you'll be ok. I use an old pair of Grado SR80's and they work fine. 

Thanks for this. I've got my 599 Senns, which are only 50 ohm, or my Steelseries 7 headset, which is probably even lower, so I'll try both.

I was having horrendous drift and buttons not responding on my controller. Figured I’d have to send it away and bring an inpatient soul I just ordered a new controller. 

I have exactly the same issue with this new controller which would lead me to presume this is a console rather than controller issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Infuriating. 

6 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I was having horrendous drift and buttons not responding on my controller. Figured I’d have to send it away and bring an inpatient soul I just ordered a new controller. 

I have exactly the same issue with this new controller which would lead me to presume this is a console rather than controller issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Infuriating. 

Is your PS5 behind the telly or is your wifi router maybe causing interference? Sounds like something like that anyway.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Is your PS5 behind the telly or is your wifi router maybe causing interference? Sounds like something like that anyway.

Sure is. I’ll have to look into whether this is the issue. Think it might also be that it’s plugged into the VR box too. 

17 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Sure is. I’ll have to look into whether this is the issue. Think it might also be that it’s plugged into the VR box too. 

You could also try changing Accessories>Controllers>Communication Method to usb cable and seeing if you still have the problem when plugged in.

Now the machine is in more homes, has the original "its completely silent" proclamation from the initial early previewers on YouTube been rebuked yet as bullshit?

When powered on - mine sounds like a PC and laptop would, and when running a game sounds like a projector.

For granted its not as-bad as the PS4 Pro, at the moment the firmware for the PS5 just seems to run at a constant speed, but I'm expecting Sony to break that at some point with updates.

42 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Mine’s pretty silent yeah. There’s some noise for about 10 seconds when it first boots up and reads the demon’s souls disc but then that’s it.

Same here. Very quiet machine.