PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Western Digital drives have history of not responding to sleep modes correctly on PCs and Macs, I'm not surprised that's giving you a headache on the PS5.

Sake

8 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Liking the subtle volume tweaks to the console. Fan noise seems to be down overall, and the "disc check" spin up is a quick, quiet noise rather than a full-speed spin up.

i never get why it needed to be a full spin up even in other earlier consoles. 

what does that get you copy protection wise that you can’t get with a slower spin up?

9 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Just checking you guys with external HDD issues are using the rear USB ports and not the front ones right?

I am (no problems)

Also it’s a passport western digital drive that requires no power other than what it gets from USB.

Im pretty sure it’s. 4tb USB 3.0 mechanical drive.....

US NPD HW - PlayStation 5 is the fastest selling console in U.S. history in both unit and dollar sales (lifetime sales with five months on the market).

Not bad for a console released during a pandemic. Probably won’t stop some people still having a strop about how Sony clearly have fucked up because they can’t meet demand though. 

4 minutes ago, Triple A said:

does the new update enable play of PS4 games off an external drive yet?  I had some problems with this previously.

sorry if I missed any update earlier in the thread.

It always played PS4 games off external drives.

Do you think that Sony failing to enable internal expansion support is due to the worldwide semiconductor shortage ??? ie that if they opened the floodgates it would cause them even more production problems

Now you can archive PS5 games to an external drive it's not a big issue, i'd never spend 100's on an expansion drive anyway, I can download full games in less than an hour, that's plenty quick enough for me.

3 hours ago, Radish said:

Not bad for a console released during a pandemic. Probably won’t stop some people still having a strop about how Sony clearly have fucked up because they can’t meet demand though. 

Not bad for the most disastrous console launch in history. 

I've had an email from Sony with my "Playstation Plus Summary" but it's nonsense.

It says I got 17 trophies last month, which is possible. It also says my most played game is FF7, which is true as I played it for about 6 hours.

It then says I've played 351 hours online in the last month. I rarely play online games, and have probably played a total of 20-30 hours in the last month.

Any ideas why Sony thinks I've played online 12 hours a day for a month? I've got 2FA turned on so don't think anyone is using my account.

Just competed Marquette, great game but some of the puzzles were so obtuse. I'm not ashamed to say the built in hints system was put to some use to get me through it, especially towards the end with miss leading key holes!

I also wonder how reliant the game is on colour for giving you hints... Being colour blind could have put me at a disadvantage.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Getting my PS5 back Monday according to Sony. Same serial number too. I'm sceptical about them having fixed it, but we'll see.

DPD turned up with it 35 minutes ago.

I tried fortnite last night just to see what 120fps look like.

Its a bit weird setting it up having to change the preference to performance in the ps5 menu and then start the game.

I hate fortnite, I don’t play it and probably never will again.

I wasn’t overly impressed with 120fps. I could tell the difference between 120 and 60.

Thats that scratch itched.

Yeah, I gave Nioh 2 a go at 120fps, had to look hard to tell the difference.

30 to 60 is the monumental leap, after that it's diminishing returns. 

I thought it was 120 for 5 minutes until I looked at the frame rate counter and remembered I needed to switch the in game menu option on.

Also could almost hear the console cooling fan doing its thing.

So I’m still getting the issue where One-Touch Play works both ways which is annoying as it’s great to turn on the TV automatically when turning on the PS5 but bloody stupid to do it the other way around. 

Am I missing something?

image.jpg