Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Timmo said:

Halo? It is a cool little game though, and there's more to it than I expected. 

 

Nah, Halo wasn't quite the same.  Mario 64 nailed 3D worlds for probably the first time.  Halo was just a very good FPS but the basic idea was around on PS2 and especially PC already.  It was 7 years after Quake for a start.

 

A superb launch title but I don't think it was really a statement of intent in the same way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Halo is probably the most influential FPS ever after Doom, though. Add aim down sight and it's basically every shooter since. It introduced so much of what became the norm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonamok said:

Glad that screen zoom is included in the PS5 OS update.

 

That should let me play Disco Elysium from my couch. Once they patch out the other bugs of course.

 

Disco should be patched with yesterday's 1.3.

 

I just hope the UI will now finally remember my menu settings. Thank god you can now easily switch between parties en friends instead of having to keep scrolling down forever...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, K said:

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I'd class Halo as a hugely important statement of intent, both in terms of Microsoft setting themselves out as a credible entrant into console gaming, and also in terms of showing that twin-stick controls can not only work in an FPS, but can work so well as to underpin one of the greatest games of all time. I mean, having workable twin-stick controls in an FPS seems minor now, but back in 2001 it was pretty big - console first person shooters were either very poor relations of PC games, or were in now-extinct console-only phyla like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. With Halo, it felt like you were getting the cutting edge of PC games, with all the graphical spectacle that implies, in a form that not only worked under your TV, but felt perfect for it.

 

That kind of innovation tends to get forgotten about because it just becomes normal, but I honestly think it was pretty revolutionary. Someone would have figured out a way to make twin stick controls workable eventually, but it would have happened a lot later without the ideas of Bungie and the resources and drive of Microsoft.

 

Man, I remember doing small things in the game, like putting it on easy - so I wouldn't die immediately - then just moving the targeting reticule over the Covenant and observing that the targeting speed would slow down just a little when the enemy was in the sights....or the fact that this would only happen when the enemy was in range and the reticule would turn red. 

 

It was an absolute revolution in "game feel" and I was marveled at it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, K said:

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I'd class Halo as a hugely important statement of intent, both in terms of Microsoft setting themselves out as a credible entrant into console gaming, and also in terms of showing that twin-stick controls can not only work in an FPS, but can work so well as to underpin one of the greatest games of all time. I mean, having workable twin-stick controls in an FPS seems minor now, but back in 2001 it was pretty big - console first person shooters were either very poor relations of PC games, or were in now-extinct console-only phyla like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. With Halo, it felt like you were getting the cutting edge of PC games, with all the graphical spectacle that implies, in a form that not only worked under your TV, but felt perfect for it.

 

That kind of innovation tends to get forgotten about because it just becomes normal, but I honestly think it was pretty revolutionary. Someone would have figured out a way to make twin stick controls workable eventually, but it would have happened a lot later without the ideas of Bungie and the resources and drive of Microsoft.

 

All absolutely fair, I guess part of it for me is PCs WERE doing that.

 

PCs are not doing the two big things Astrobot shows off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

Man, I remember doing small things in the game, like putting it on easy - so I wouldn't die immediately - then just moving the targeting reticule over the Covenant and observing that the targeting speed would slow down just a little when the enemy was in the sights....or the fact that this would only happen when the enemy was in range and the reticule would turn red. 

 

It was an absolute revolution in "game feel" and I was marveled at it. 

 

It is pretty clever. I remember there was a glitch you could do on the original Halo, where you could get across some loading barrier in a way you weren't supposed to, which led to enemies freezing in place. Despite them being frozen, the game would still tag them as having a certain velocity, so if you threw a grenade at them, or fired a rocket, or blew them up with a needler combine explosion, the enemy would have this enormous velocity attached to it, despite it not moving (if that makes sense).

 

This meant that if you tried to aim at the frozen enemy, your crosshair would slide off because whatever code the game used to adjust your aim would take into account how fast the enemy was moving as well, and because the enemy had this enormous velocity attached to it, it would overcorrect and your crosshair would move off to one side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

PS5 titles also cannot be directly downloaded to USB extended storage.

 

That's quite annoying. I'd love to be able to download them to an external for later use, rather than having to download them to the internal storage and then move them across. Effectively means that you lose a bunch of space on the internal hard drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the PS5 have that brilliant feature from PS4 where you temporarily have to have twice as much space on the drive as the size of whatever you want to install? I seem to have filled mine up so quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

 

That's quite annoying. I'd love to be able to download them to an external for later use, rather than having to download them to the internal storage and then move them across. Effectively means that you lose a bunch of space on the internal hard drive.


I think that’s the same as XBOX isn’t it or can they download X games direct to USB? I suppose you have the option to archive another game first at least so you don’t have to always have free space, depends how quick it is to move the games. Does anyone (maybe with an XBOX) know how long it takes to move a 50GB game back and forth?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


I think that’s the same as XBOX isn’t it or can they download X games direct to USB? I suppose you have the option to archive another game first at least so you don’t have to always have free space, depends how quick it is to move the games. Does anyone (maybe with an XBOX) know how long it takes to move a 50GB game back and forth?

 

You can download to whatever drive you want on Xbox, iirc. A 50GB game takes around 25 mins-ish to transfer across from my external.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Does the PS5 have that brilliant feature from PS4 where you temporarily have to have twice as much space on the drive as the size of whatever you want to install? I seem to have filled mine up so quickly. 

 

I'm not 100% sure, but when installing the Soulstorm patch the other day, it did do the "copying update" thing for ages.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to do the same thing as the PS4 - which was disappointing (hello, small Destiny patches) - but (obviously) does it loads quicker.

 

They really need to do more work on parties. Even with these minor changes they'll be worse than they were on PS4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobysi said:


I think that’s the same as XBOX isn’t it or can they download X games direct to USB? I suppose you have the option to archive another game first at least so you don’t have to always have free space, depends how quick it is to move the games. Does anyone (maybe with an XBOX) know how long it takes to move a 50GB game back and forth?


I just moved Rainbow six siege and it was a couple of mins, so quick I didn’t really notice how long it was as just prior to the question weirdly! When Control finishes downloading I’ll move it from external to internal and note the time!

 

You can download straight to external and have multiple external drives, Sony seem to be so far behind with storage options and clearly hacking it in has limitations - it was stupid enough on PS4 that you could only have one drive plugged in at a time.

 

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

 

You can download to whatever drive you want on Xbox, iirc. A 50GB game takes around 25 mins-ish to transfer across from my external.

 

 


If you have an external SSD they move very quickly so well worth an investment with space being a premium internally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shimmyhill cheers for info on speeds.
 

I’m thinking about buying an external drive for PS5, primarily for PS4 games. I’m looking at the Samsung 1TB T5 @ £106 or there is the T7 @ £142. Do those in the know about these things think I’d be better going for the T7 as twice as fast (but is it when used with PS5) and a bit more future proof or better to just save the money?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

@Shimmyhill cheers for info on speeds.
 

I’m thinking about buying an external drive for PS5, primarily for PS4 games. I’m looking at the Samsung 1TB T5 @ £106 or there is the T7 @ £142. Do those in the know about these things think I’d be better going for the T7 as twice as fast (but is it when used with PS5) and a bit more future proof or better to just save the money?

weird coincidence?

 

 

 

only 1TB though.

 

(2TB is £250, lol)

 

(although, for reference after 2 and a half years of ownership, I have 700GB left on my PS4 4TB external, madness!)

 

Edited by SeanR
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

@Shimmyhill cheers for info on speeds.
 

I’m thinking about buying an external drive for PS5, primarily for PS4 games. I’m looking at the Samsung 1TB T5 @ £106 or there is the T7 @ £142. Do those in the know about these things think I’d be better going for the T7 as twice as fast (but is it when used with PS5) and a bit more future proof or better to just save the money?

 

 

 

I don’t think it really matters. In the vid above, even an NVME doesn’t make much of a difference over a big standard SATA SSD. Try to make sure you’ve got a good caddy that supports USB 3.1 and you should be fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Still no VRR, seems a shame. Wonder what the hold up is?

Do you mean VFR?

 

Edit - No, wait, I mean VRR. Been getting the acronym wrong for a year. Whoops.

 

I even knew what the words were. “Variable fefresh rate”. Fuck’s sake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobysi said:

@Shimmyhill cheers for info on speeds.
 

I’m thinking about buying an external drive for PS5, primarily for PS4 games. I’m looking at the Samsung 1TB T5 @ £106 or there is the T7 @ £142. Do those in the know about these things think I’d be better going for the T7 as twice as fast (but is it when used with PS5) and a bit more future proof or better to just save the money?


Honestly I’d get as big a drive as you can esp if you play any games that need updating, warzone needs about 300gb on PS4 :lol: I have a 1tb drive and it’s full, gonna get another but prolly 2tb this time

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Still no VRR, seems a shame. Wonder what the hold up is?


planned to release with SDK 4.0 in the Fall, along with the TV surround sound feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bojangle said:


planned to release with SDK 4.0 in the Fall, along with the TV surround sound feature.

Lack of support in Sony TVs the problem then?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:


Honestly I’d get as big a drive as you can esp if you play any games that need updating, warzone needs about 300gb on PS4 :lol: I have a 1tb drive and it’s full, gonna get another but prolly 2tb this time


I’m just going round in circles at the moment on whether to wait on PS5 certified drives. I agree 1TB is not huge and I’d prefer 2TB+ but that looks to be £250+. A 4TB normal drive is around £80 but I assume they’ll be a lot slower but maybe I can live with that for most PS4 games (they’re not all as bad as Wreckfest) but archiving of PS5 games is more of a concern. :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

PS5 certified internal drives are going to be expensive though. Waiting for those to be announced is just waiting to be told to start saving.


Yep and probably 1TB to be semi affordable hmmm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

No fixes for external drives making rest mode unusable and the unreadable disk error

Do you have this problem?

I’ve been using a 4tb external passport drive with no issues (apart from the first couple of days where there were some hiccups)

I use rest mode a little bit too on days off, or if I pick up a guitar and the Ps5 shuts itself down eventually.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.