PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

53 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Can you add the Play at Home games via the app, or do you need to be logged onto a PS5?

Can be done on the site, so I assume app too. 

In addition to the Ratchet & Clank patch, an update for Miles Morales has also been released today which, according to Polygon, includes a new suit and "realistic muscle deformation".

I’ve only bought two PS5 games, but in between the PS+ games and PS+ collection stuff that’s patched for PS4, I’ve completely filled the SSD on my PS5. I hope they hurry up and let us start adding M.2 drives. 

I've been without a PS5 since December and only just got a replacement. Did they change the OS since then? When I press the PS button to get the menu it now has a cards like recently created media or game news. So I have to press down every time to get to the menu. I've removed all the 'follows' on games so that card is gone but I can't seem to removed the media one. Was it always like this?

29 minutes ago, pledge said:

I've been without a PS5 since December and only just got a replacement. Did they change the OS since then? When I press the PS button to get the menu it now has a cards like recently created media or game news. So I have to press down every time to get to the menu. I've removed all the 'follows' on games so that card is gone but I can't seem to removed the media one. Was it always like this?

Yes. It's always been that shit.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/01/returnal-hands-on-preview/

It's from the Blog so not exactly an objective hands-on, but there's some interesting information on mechanics and level design in it.

In the field, Selene’s nimble. Dash-dodges to leap across chasms, avoid – even pass through – enemy projectiles. A coloured HUD radial around the character marks direction and proximity of attacks. She can mantle. Early unlocks of a blade and hookshot open up melee and faster traversal options. The hookshot’s generous reach on marked grapple points zip you across wide areas. 

Within any cycle, dealing damage but avoiding it yourself builds Adrenaline, a mechanic that stacks up to five levels, each tier unlocking an enhancement: increases to weapon damage, vision (enemies marked by a red circle), strengthening your melee attack and more. Get hit once and everything resets. It’s a great incentive to stay sharp and promotes high-level play. 

Weapons recharge rather than reload; during that time a trigger tap right to instantly recharge and earn a damage bonus (Overload). Mess up and your weapon jams. Every weapon has an alt-fire mode and an additional unlockable ability once you’ve downed enough enemies. Both are pulled from a large pool of possible attacks, leading to an extensive range of potential weapon builds. 

Built on top of all that are multiple, interconnecting game systems that spice up every cycle. Artifacts give you buffs for the duration of your current run (deal 10% more damage to a low health target, or use slo-mo when in alt-fire mode, for example). Consumables are one-off activations (healing shot, shields). Parasites, living, scuttling entities that’ll latch onto your suit if picked up, best example the gamble of Returnal’s modifiers, always pairing reward with risk. One may increase the stats of the weapons you find next, but your melee damage is reduced by half. A specific alien device can remove all parasites but costs Oblities, the planet’s version of currency dropped by enemies on death and unearthed from rocks that glow a tell-tale yellow. 

There’s a vibrant diversity to the alien species intent on killing you as soon as you enter an area. Multi-tentacled quadrupeds, leaping biped juggernauts, squid-like flyers, armoured lurkers… their ferocity and attack patterns are scaled such that with quick wits and reactions they’re survivalable, regardless of which combination or number you face. Many fire projectile cascades. There’s an echo here of bullet hells, but brightly coloured as they are, you’re never caught unawares. I have to speak to the game’s 3D audio design, which, if you’re wearing a compatible headset, lets you better pinpoint enemy placement around you. While wearing the Pulse 3D Wireless headset for PS5 on one cycle, I registered the sound of an enemy approaching from the rear. I whirled round, freezing my aim exactly where it was spawning, taking it out before it could pounce.

All that is arcade pedigree shining through. Controls are tight. You’ll never question your combat options or traversal abilities, be it repositioning in arenas packed with enemies or exploring.

While you’re never far from a firefight, Returnal is as much an explorative platformer as it is a shooter. You’re not ploughing through a set number of small arena-style kill boxes in quick succession. Level design is hugely varied and you have breathing room to explore. For the majority of your playtime, a good two-thirds of the screen real estate is dedicated to the world around you. Yes, that’s also to best assess threat placement during combat, but it also captures the colossal scale of the alien civilisation. Smaller touches outside combat sell the atmosphere. The indistinct call of wildlife in the far distance; writhing grass that’s one of the planet’s non-aggressive lifeforms; the dirt smears that gradually accumulate on Selene’s suit; the steady patter of rainfall felt through the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. 

Doorways open to claustrophobic alleys, multi-floor structures, tiny caves, partially-destroyed bridges. Hidden catacombs and side rooms are rife. Traps, interactive alien devices – and the items needed to access them – are nestled here and there (such as Fabricators, which generate items, or the Reconstructor, a one-time resurrection machine you’ll return to on death, keeping you in the current cycle with loadout intact). Unreachable spots will taunt you until you’ve found and incorporated the right alien tech to access in future cycles. You’re given a general compass direction to your central goal, but you’re otherwise free to explore as much or as little as you like. Further exploration and backtracking will help you upgrade equipment, unlock sealed sections and delve into the lore of the long-dead civilisation. Alternatively, focus on combat and stack the odds increasingly against you. It’s your choice. 

Explorative platformer, action shooter, roguelike, psychological horror. Returnal splices these disparate strands together with elegance. And there’s so much more to talk about. But like most things, they’re best experienced first hand. 

I guess that's pretty much the entire preview. :D

Returnal splices these disparate strands together with elegance. And there’s so much more to talk about. But like most things, they’re best experienced first hand. 

Well, yes, the official playstation blog would say that!

3 minutes ago, footle said:

Well, yes, the official playstation blog would say that!

Yeah, but there are a couple of things they haven't revealed yet...
And then there is the story, which is going to interesting places, and my guess is that they want to keep as much of that under wraps as possible.

51 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yes. It's always been that shit.

I was saying to a mate the other day all that ever happens is you see the cards with a whole long list of random locked trophies. If their going to do that they could at the very least just put the trophy icon in greyed out with a pad lock icon on top. It’s just strange when you look at the detail of the whole system , massive cards with all the same graphic...odd

The worst part is that the entire UI seems to be built around that card concept.

You can't normally browse through trophies any more, they're all on a 'card' even though they stubbornly refuse to let the descriptions word wrap. Even when not in the main card interface. I've had to kind of train myself not to look at the cards every time I press the PS button because whatever trophy is next, is basically a built-in spoiler for the game I'm playing. Same with those 'guides'; there's so much spoiler stuff in there, you still are better off just doing a quick web search on another device. You are also automatically subscribed to 'news stories' of a game you've played, which appear in those cards, but it only ever recycles content from the PS blog. Never mind the PS button hold vs. tap switch.

It's maddening really. XMB was spartan but fully functional. They've muddied the waters a bit with PS4 and they've outright soiled them with PS5. Infuriating.

I don’t even own rainbow six siege but my homepage is always showing me exciting new information about it. How do I stop it doing that? All I want is my old Elite Dangerous screenshot I turned into a wallpaper for my Ps4

49 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

You can't normally browse through trophies any more

What do you mean? You can browse the trophies via the link on the right side of the UI which is a list pretty much like on PS4. I guess you mean something different.

50 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Same with those 'guides'; there's so much spoiler stuff in there, you still are better off just doing a quick web search on another device.

I really like the guides, I’ve not used them much but have found them useful for Sackboy and Demon’s Souls and they’ve often had 3 levels where they give you a little bit more of a clue. Much easier than having to get phone, Google etc. imo.

42 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I really like the guides, I’ve not used them much but have found them useful for Sackboy and Demon’s Souls and they’ve often had 3 levels where they give you a little bit more of a clue. Much easier than having to get phone, Google etc. imo.

Yeah they work great for hitman as well. They even added guides for the first and second game levels and dlc within Hitman 3.

Probably a stupid question: I just installed MGSV on my PS5, not played it for years. It wants to start from the beginning. How do I get my PS4 save onto my PS5? The PS5 menu option of ‘copy cloud storage save data to your console’ under ‘Saved data (PS4)’ gives me an error. 

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

Probably a stupid question: I just installed MGSV on my PS5, not played it for years. It wants to start from the beginning. How do I get my PS4 save onto my PS5? The PS5 menu option of ‘copy cloud storage save data to your console’ under ‘Saved data (PS4)’ gives me an error. 

You can copy your save data from your PS4 if both systems are on the same network. 

I did this and it worked a treat. 

23 minutes ago, Popo said:

You can copy your save data from your PS4 if both systems are on the same network. 

I did this and it worked a treat. 

And if the PS4 is long gone? Have my PS+ saves been lost?

34 minutes ago, Pob said:

What error does it give you?

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

And if the PS4 is long gone? Have my PS+ saves been lost?

Sorry man, hadn’t read your post thoroughly enough. I of course don’t know about the integrity of your cloud saves, but they’re more likely to be there in good nick than not. I only subbed to Plus from PS5 onward, so I’m not sure how that’s supposed to work. 

20 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

What error does it give you?

I looked it up, Reddit said a simple reboot would work, which it did. Thanks for the hint, I wasn’t sure if I was looking in the right place. 

Anyone else’s Dual Sense starting to get a little grubby? I assume alcohol wipes will fix it but man I can’t wait for a black controller and hopefully official black faceplates!