PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

1 hour ago, Ry said:

So basically the PS4 games take up double the space?

Is this correct? I thought ‘Other storage’ was just used by PS4 games, not to duplicate data for PS4 games I.e. a 30Gb PS4 install will take up 30Gb on PS5 or there abouts, not 60Gb?

18 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Is this correct? I thought ‘Other storage’ was just used by PS4 games, not to duplicate data for PS4 games I.e. a 30Gb PS4 install will take up 30Gb on PS5 or there abouts, not 60Gb?

I honestly dont know. The fact i cant look in the folder to check anything is very annoying. 

2 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Yep but they mention?

By storing all of our PS4 software on an external HDD, we were able to reduce 90GB of Other storage space to just 13GB, which is much more manageable.

Which is what you’d expect if the removed 77Gb of PS4 installs? But did they? Or was that 77Gb on top of the PS4 install size, which would just seem crazy?

It's definitely an additional amount of hard drive space is required on top of the size of the actual install size of a PS4 game. So you install a PS4 game which will show as 40gb for example in the normal way under applications. Then seemingly there is an unknown additional amount of space taken up within the "other" folder in system storage.

I may install a load of PS4 games later to demonstrate what i'm talking about. 

@p1nseeker it would be interesting to see. For some games like Wreckfest where the load times are improved, some extra space is probably worth it but for other games maybe not so much.

If you could determine the percentage overhead for Wreckfest, Ghost of Tsushima and games in PS Plus Collection that would be very useful ;) :D.

Yes, certainly for Wreckfest but that’s vs PS4 HDD rather than an external SSD. I never played GOT on PS4 but I expect it’s a bit faster as I struggle to read the load screen text sometimes now.

*** as per @Quexex below I think my replacement PS4 drive was faster than the original too but not positive.

2 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Have people noticed a difference in load speeds for PS4 games stored internally Vs externally?

My external HDD for PS4 games is faster than a stock PS4 by about 20 seconds in some instances. I have to make my mate setup the room in Everybodys Golf otherwise my shot timer runs down to 20secs before he's even loaded!

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

That's no help at all. Basically says buy an external HD to play PS4 games. Fuck that lol

Even Sony are vague as fuck

"This storage space is reserved for system data needed for games and apps to work properly. The amount of space reserved depends on how your console is being used" 

I'm using 70gb of data. I don't have any screen shots or video sharing shite like that article mentions. 

So what the fuck is it? 

I hate this console :lol:

My PS4 is pretty loud installing a disc but silent the rest of the time - I think, I exclusively play with headphones in. 

I agree that the menu system is unintuitive and stupid and I hate it but I guess I’ll get used to it. I hate that I can’t change the background or the theme or anything but the rest of it is amazing

Ghosts of Tsushima looks amazing, played it for an hour and I’m hooked

Spiderman looks astonishing and is a great time. Hope they do a next-gen Batman

I really, really hated the updated menu at first too. Found it annoying until it clicked that the whole thing is designed about you never needing to leave the game, pretty much anything you'll need to do can be done from the one tap menu without needing to go to the homescreen - it's just a very differently presented 'workflow' to the PS4 but once your muscle memory starts to change everything begins making a lot more sense. It's still a very jarring change regardless.

With Spiderman make sure you use the 'Performance RT' graphics mode!

When I removed my external HDD from the PS4 I could see what I assume are the contents of the other folder. I seem to recall mine growing quite a bit when I got the DLC for AC Odyssey and it was on an external drive, almost seemed like the whole DLC was put in other.

912302129_20210204184222(2).thumb.jpg.ac5230c20cc4ed48e5f7718304502ea0.jpg

Not a clue what happened here today. Booted from cold, not rest, and played about 30 minutes of Soul's in its offline mode. About 2 hits away from killing a boss and the whole thing crashes with this message...

spacer.png

As soon as you press the button the game closes and ejects the disc. 

The instant I did that, I noticed that both COD Cold War and Amazon Prime Video apps both updated. Maybe a coincidence? 

Try to start the game again, states...

spacer.png

Wonder what the error CE-100008-9 means. Bit of luck there is a "More Info" button to find out what to do...

spacer.png

Didn't matter how many times I tried to start, it wouldn't work. Restarting the PS5 didn't fix it. 

Deleted the game from storage

Unplugged network cable

Put disc in and installed that again

Network cable back in, downloaded update.

Game now starts

I was initially concerned with the first message that it had fucked my save, luckily it was still intact, taken a few minutes before the point I was at with my game.

I googled "CE-100008-9" but there isn't a lot out there on it. 

Putting it here if it helps anyone

13 hours ago, englishbob said:

Not a clue what happened here today. Booted from cold, not rest, and played about 30 minutes of Soul's in its offline mode. About 2 hits away from killing a boss and the whole thing crashes with this message...

spacer.png

Those lousy fucking souls bosses will do anything to win....

17 hours ago, Haribokart said:

I really, really hated the updated menu at first too. Found it annoying until it clicked that the whole thing is designed about you never needing to leave the game, pretty much anything you'll need to do can be done from the one tap menu without needing to go to the homescreen - it's just a very differently presented 'workflow' to the PS4 but once your muscle memory starts to change everything begins making a lot more sense. It's still a very jarring change regardless.

With Spiderman make sure you use the 'Performance RT' graphics mode!

Totally agree with you on this - at first it was a little clunky and 'different' now it feels natural. Although some of the decisions baffle me, like finding out where they hid the audio options for chat so that only chat audio comes through the headset took me a while to find, that and checking if games have uploaded their saves to PSPlus also requires a trip to setting where as before it was in the options for each game individually. 

19 hours ago, Ry said:

That's no help at all. Basically says buy an external HD to play PS4 games. Fuck that lol

Even Sony are vague as fuck

"This storage space is reserved for system data needed for games and apps to work properly. The amount of space reserved depends on how your console is being used" 

I'm using 70gb of data. I don't have any screen shots or video sharing shite like that article mentions. 

So what the fuck is it? 

I hate this console :lol:

From what I've seen on mine, it's mostly download cache for the PS4 games updating onto the external SSD. Size of it fluctuates when I have updates under way for PS4 games.

I want folders back & I want the ability to hide titles in my library that I do not care about. Both features we had in the PS4 OS so why they did not carry over to the PS5 is just stupid.

42 minutes ago, Sell73Out said:

From what I've seen on mine, it's mostly download cache for the PS4 games updating onto the external SSD. Size of it fluctuates when I have updates under way for PS4 games.

makes sense as on the PS4 games needed twice their install size to update even if update was tiny.

Looks as though I'll be getting some external storage sooner rather than later. I don't have that many games installed but still only 50Gb available and 100Gb in my 'other' folder due to having PS4 games installed.

Warzone needed an 11Gb update and failed to download and install it even though I should have enough space.

Time to hunt down a good SSD and copy over any PS4 games I want to play.

1 hour ago, sofasurfer said:

Looks as though I'll be getting some external storage sooner rather than later. I don't have that many games installed but still only 50Gb available and 100Gb in my 'other' folder due to having PS4 games installed.

Warzone needed an 11Gb update and failed to download and install it even though I should have enough space.

Time to hunt down a good SSD and copy over any PS4 games I want to play.

forum friend uses this one and loves it. You will need a UK link. I’m buying it today. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=1tb+nvme+Sabrent&qid=1611421834&sr=8-3

12 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Maybe a stupid question but isn't the internal storage slot disabled at the moment. I remember reading it was supposed to be activated via an update later but didn't think that had happened yet. Or did they use that SSD externally in an enclosure?

6 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Maybe a stupid question but isn't the internal storage slot disabled at the moment. I remember reading it was supposed to be activated via an update later but didn't think that had happened yet. Or did they use that SSD externally in an enclosure?

Enclosure. I’m looking through WhatsApp for the link

2 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Going to be watching this one as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YD5TK4F/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

It dropped to under £100 before Christmas and seems to get good reviews when used with a PS5.

the reason I’m going with the one forum friend recommended is because 1) he has one and 2) he is a dev so I trust him more than he probably deserves. He said it’s lightning fast