PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

1 minute ago, FozZ said:

People talking about theirs being silent makes me sad. I'm constantly aware of the nolse mine makes. It doesn't ever get louder (apart from when spinning a disc), but it has a constant hum very similar to my OG PS4, and a constant ticking sound. Probably should have tried to do something about it back in November, but given the shortages, I was happy to just have one.

On the upside at least you’ve got one for now and you have plenty time to get it replaced under warranty once stock improves. Stick in some headphones for now if it’s bothering you and enjoy the 3D Audio as a benefit too :).

Wasn’t there some mention of a label or something causing ticking with some fans, might be as simple as removing that?

8 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

On the upside at least you’ve got one for now and you have plenty time to get it replaced under warranty once stock improves. Stick in some headphones for now if it’s bothering you and enjoy the 3D Audio as a benefit too :).

Wasn’t there some mention of a label or something causing ticking with some fans, might be as simple as removing that?

Good shout. I'll take the side off and see if I can work out where it's coming from. At least we can do that now without voiding warranty.

I never game with headphones, but guess I should see what the fuss is about with 3D audio at some point.

15 minutes ago, FozZ said:

People talking about theirs being silent makes me sad. I'm constantly aware of the nolse mine makes. It doesn't ever get louder (apart from when spinning a disc), but it has a constant hum very similar to my OG PS4, and a constant ticking sound. Probably should have tried to do something about it back in November, but given the shortages, I was happy to just have one.

Don’t worry about it, people said their PS3’s were silent, they weren’t... people said their PS4’s were silent, the weren’t....

People with a ‘silent’ PS5 just are immune to the low hum a fan makes, coil whine is different and that will be a pain as it’s at a horrible frequency but that is total luck of the draw as Sony haven’t taken any steps to prevent it in design.

26 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Why wouldn't you want to? Power off saves power ultimately

Not to any appreciable degree, though. Putting it in standby won't precipitate the global warming apocalypse, but it will let you jump straight back into the last game you were playing really, really quickly and conveniently. 

53 minutes ago, englishbob said:

It uses 0.1 Watts apparently. You're probably using a lot more power booting the OS and games from cold every time. 

9 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Don’t worry about it, people said their PS3’s were silent, they weren’t... people said their PS4’s were silent, the weren’t....

People with a ‘silent’ PS5 just are immune to the low hum a fan makes, coil whine is different and that will be a pain as it’s at a horrible frequency but that is total luck of the draw as Sony haven’t taken any steps to prevent it in design.

This just isn't true. I'm pretty sensitive to noise even at low levels and simply can't hear my PS5 from more than a couple of feet away, except for the occasional disc whirring people have mentioned. The thing is massive but if that's what makes it so quiet it's totally worth it.

Sorry @FozZ :(

My PS5 is genuinely silent unless i'm right up next to it then i can hear a buzz like any other electronics item that isn't a PS4 Pro, if I turn everything off and mute the TV and play Dirt 5 then the Dualsense is the noisiest thing in the room.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Got mine today. Astro Bot is pretty fucking joyous, huh? I've got Demon's Souls installed but I've been playing this all evening instead. What a fantastic freebie!

Me too, mine came yesterday but I didn't get time to play on it until this evening. Astro is super cute, the controller feels like something genuinely new and I'm really enjoying the artefacts. It feels like playing Mario 64 for the first time again, fabulous.

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I've got an "issue" with the right analogue where, when pushed off centre, it feels like it's hitting something small inside and causing a tiny click.

Only on the right stick, left is fine. :wacko:

Send it back to Sony. 

20 hours ago, englishbob said:

Because even on the SSD Assassin’s Creed Odyssey takes forever to load.

Demon's Souls seems to be causing my machine to encounter the 'repairing console storage' error every now and then. I always put my machine into rest mode and have no external storage attached to it but it's happened a few times. I'm hoping that it's just an OS glitch that can be ironed out with an update.

43 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Demon's Souls seems to be causing my machine to encounter the 'repairing console storage' error every now and then. I always put my machine into rest mode and have no external storage attached to it but it's happened a few times. I'm hoping that it's just an OS glitch that can be ironed out with an update.

Most of the time starting up Demon’s Souls is connecting to the server so you could just use an activity card to get back into the game instead. Obviously there’s a little boot time but the PS5 is pretty quick.

15 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Most of the time starting up Demon’s Souls is connecting to the server so you could just use an activity card to get back into the game instead. Obviously there’s a little boot time but the PS5 is pretty quick.

It happens straight from turning on the machine though. Might have to quit the game before I turn it off for the night. It only seems to happen overnight, if I rest the PS5 and come back to it later in the day no issues at all. 

On the topic of system noise, I've noticed that rest mode on my machine now creates a slight background hum, now having cleaned out my PS4 Pro recently to return it to launch levels of noise I figure it's time to clean my PS5. Let's face it, a house that is now had 4 people in it 24/7 is going to be a much more dusty environment than it was pre lockdown. I'll let you know the results...

14 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

It happens straight from turning on the machine though. Might have to quit the game before I turn it off for the night. It only seems to happen overnight, if I rest the PS5 and come back to it later in the day no issues at all. 

Yep, that’s what I meant, rest mode with Demon’s Souls doesn’t save much time vs turning off machine (or quitting game if rest mode works otherwise) and activity card.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

What's the script with this "other" storage folder and why is it taking up so much space and how do I clear it? 

I had the same problem. It seems to be something to do with PS4 games you have on the PS5's internal SSD. Advice is to play PS4 games from external if possible.

I deleted a bunch of PS4 games and sure enough it reduced mine down to "only" 60 gig from almost 100.

9 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I had the same problem. It seems to be something to do with PS4 games you have on the PS5's internal SSD. Advice is to play PS4 games from external if possible.

I deleted a bunch of PS4 games and sure enough it reduced mine down to "only" 60 gig from almost 100.

So basically the PS4 games take up double the space? 

I'm confused. I have 7 games downloaded and nearly out of space. (which is bonkers as I have around 35 on SX) 

14 minutes ago, Ry said:

So basically the PS4 games take up double the space? 

I'm confused. I have 7 games downloaded and nearly out of space. (which is bonkers as I have around 35 on SX) 

You are slowly becoming the software version of deKay. I've got around two dozen games on there with room to spare, though Warframe is probably the largest game on there atm.

I'd check your media captures plus how many users you've got on there. If you've transferred from a PS4, it'll have copied over all the profiles and their associated data as well.

Alternatively, stop playing CoD. ;)