PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

This is how quiet my PS5 is: I put it on this morning to finish downloading the PS+ games (still don't trust rest mode) and went to make a cup of coffee.

I subsequently forgot that the machine was on until about half past five when I looked over at it and noticed that the light was illuminated on it.

Oops.

8 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

My PS5 is silent and it's vertical. I have to out my ear right by it to hear it.

For reference, the external HDD on the XBone spinning was driving my wife nuts, and that was behind the TV. The PS5 is on view.

This is my second PS5 with this issue. Seems I just have bad luck. I would have thought Sony might have sorted the issue with the newer batches that shipped. 

Then again, I'm not surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I was just answering your question on how it's set up. 

I know. 

I'm just saying it seems I have bad luck. 

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

My major worry with the fan noise will be the eventual firmware updates that will end up screwing the machine and making the fan speed up. I swear the PS4 Pro was very good when I first got it, subsequent updates just ended up killing it until it became a running joke.

I remember that experience with my launch PS3, whisper quiet, then Sony started pushing out the firmware updates.. :unsure:

So far I haven’t heard a peep from my Digital PS5, and I play at low volume - fingers crossed it stays this way!

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Where's the option gone to have the power menu open when you long press the PS button?

It's reversed. You now short press it to get the shortcut menu. Long press is the home screen. It's horrid.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but just as a heads up (in case anyone is concerned they’ve been hacked) - some PS5 owners are experiencing glitches with their play stats. On mine it’s telling me I’ve been playing games that I haven’t been playing at all and the icons are all messed up. For example, Control is showing up as Trials Rising for some reason!

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

It's reversed. You now short press it to get the shortcut menu. Long press is the home screen. It's horrid.

It's the most annoying thing about the new OS. The process to turn off the console is now: long press, shit not long press, short press, scroll to end of menu, press x, choose option, press x. 

4 minutes ago, Hylian said:

It's the most annoying thing about the new OS. The process to turn off the console is now: long press, shit not long press, short press, scroll to end of menu, press x, choose option, press x. 

It's proper bullshit, especially as they have icons such as settings on the main dash in the top right, why not have the power button there it's insane.

9 minutes ago, Hylian said:

It's tap the home button, tap left once (which scrolls you around directly to power off), and tap x.

It's easy-peasy.

8 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

It's tap the home button, tap left once (which scrolls you around directly to power off), and tap x.

It's easy-peasy.

Yes did notice that trick. I'm pretty sure though that it puts you on the last icon you accessed in the menu. 

23 minutes ago, Hylian said:

17 minutes ago, Minion said:

It's proper bullshit, especially as they have icons such as settings on the main dash in the top right, why not have the power button there it's insane.

Yes it's terrible. It takes, what, nearly three seconds to turn it off now. Who's got time for that? 

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yes it's terrible. It takes, what, nearly three seconds to turn it off now. Who's got time for that? 

Agree. It's a crime against humanity 

Mine's got definite fan noise/coil whine. It's coil whine when you hear it changing as you pan around a scene, isn't it? So it's pretty quiet at the dash or in the menus of a game, but when you're playing a PS5 game it is audible. Way less than my old Pro though. And mostly entirely ignorable.

26 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

It's easy-peasy.

Yeah, I've adapted to the PS5 OS by doing this.

People talking about theirs being silent makes me sad. I'm constantly aware of the nolse mine makes. It doesn't ever get louder (apart from when spinning a disc), but it has a constant hum very similar to my OG PS4, and a constant ticking sound. Probably should have tried to do something about it back in November, but given the shortages, I was happy to just have one.