PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

31 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Nothing, they are crap ‘headphones’ but wireless and cheap - your cans will be vastly better if the pad can drive them!

So wired headphones in plugged into the DualSense over Bluetooth are better than separate wireless headphones with their own dongle?

11 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

So wired headphones in plugged into the DualSense over Bluetooth are better than separate wireless headphones with their own dongle?

Thats a question with many caveats...

If you buy a decent set of wireless headphones then they could be better than wired into the pad - the Sony wireless headphones are not good but they are cheap. Decent wireless headphones probably start at double the price and get very good at three times the price!

General consensus is the pad does a good job with wired headphones unlike the PS4 so pretty much any pair of headphones should easily outperform the wireless pulse headphones!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Nothing, they are crap ‘headphones’ but wireless and cheap.

CheapER maybe but are they crap or just not as good a more expensive headphones? I’ve been happy with my old Gold headphones, they’re great with Demon’s Souls for instance and had imagined the new Pulse ones would be similar?

Are the Pulse ones worse/overpriced as the 3D Audio is handled by PS5 vs the old Gold ones which have the virtual surround stuff?

45 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Thats a question with many caveats...

If you buy a decent set of wireless headphones then they could be better than wired into the pad - the Sony wireless headphones are not good but they are cheap. Decent wireless headphones probably start at double the price and get very good at three times the price!

General consensus is the pad does a good job with wired headphones unlike the PS4 so pretty much any pair of headphones should easily outperform the wireless pulse headphones!

Whats your view on something like the Artics Series 7x/7p? 

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Are the Pulse ones worse/overpriced as the 3D Audio is handled by PS5 vs the old Gold ones which have the virtual surround stuff?

I'm pretty sure all the virtual surround for the Gold headsets was done on-console too, and the console just refused to output it to anything except a Sony headset.

At the moment I'm using my Sony MDR-1R wired, over-ear headphones that I bought back in 2013 for about £250 and reviews for them were decent.

Maybe I just don't get the 3D audio? Or rather, I'm expecting too much based on the Sony description of object based surround and am expecting too much?

55 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I'm pretty sure all the virtual surround for the Gold headsets was done on-console too, and the console just refused to output it to anything except a Sony headset.

It did. I had a Gold headset on the PS4 and it just functioned as a regular headset on everything else. It also had profiles you could download for specific games. It was pretty good.

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Whats your view on something like the Artics Series 7x/7p? 

Ive got a pair of 7x so may be biased..... much better than the Sony’s but not as good as my wired setup however the connivence wins out as I could plug my Philips into my pad and just grab the wireless cans - for games they are fine but lacking for tv stuff I’ve found, I’m considering an upgrade as I took a punt on the 7x and half expected them to be rubbish!

I don’t know why I did this, I almost - almost - immediately regretted it, but I bought a sub to Plus last night. I then looked at the Collection games and realised I own almost all of them that are worth playing, apart from Persona which, to be fair, I’m looking forward to trying. 

In an effort to find some positive here let me ask - will my Arkham City (disc version) save work with the digital version from the Collection? It would be ni e not to need the disc anymore. 

@Popo Don't forget to "purchase" the free January games (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, ManEater and Greedfall) and then February's go live next Tuesday and is looking to be another strong month of content.

I don't play online so much but the free monthly games and cloud saves make it worth the cost. Helps if you can purchase a sub when it's on sale or with bonus months included in the price.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

In an effort to find some positive here let me ask - will my Arkham City (disc version) save work with the digital version from the Collection? It would be ni e not to need the disc anymore. 

On Xbox yes, on a Sony console that’s a big fat no.

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

I guess the version SKU (game of the year edition, digital deluxe edition, etc.) may be a factor. 

I’ll give it a try and report back!

Could be, but I believe saves are generally fine.

The problem is using a disc install to avoid a digital install, that's the real big fat no, even with Bloodborne.

In my experience at least disc vs digital of the same title generally works fine. It's just when you move between editions (e.g. GOTY, etc...) you get more issues.Then you obviously things like Spider-man PS4 to Ultimate Edition on the PS5 not being possible, however as most stuff is running in BC mode I have - for now - had zero problems with my old saves.

Despite protestations from the Xbox crowd this isn't just a Playstation issue. Things like original Ori and Blind Forest saves won't work with the definitive edition of the game, and the Witcher 3 has the same save transfer issue on both platforms. Xbox does seem to have a better track record on the whole though and better back end for devs to make it work.

My physical copy save of Days Gone, Titanfall 2 and a few others have all worked on the digital versions.

I think the main problem comes if you try to use a UK save on a US copy of a game.

Separately, I bought The Pedestrian last night. Been waiting for it a while and kept seeing Shuhei Yoshida tweet about it. 

£12.99 for both the PS4 / PS5 versions of a chilled puzzle-platform game where you control a stickperson through multiple screens of signs creating a path to get them from one end to the other. 

It looks great, sounds really nice and is good fun.

4 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

On Xbox yes, on a Sony console that’s a big fat no.

This is completely wrong. It's entirely dependent on the game identifier the publisher has used. Good publishers will have the same one for digital and disc and it works fine- this is my experience for 95% of games I've tried. Big exception I found is Fallout 4, where the brain trust at Bethesda listed it on the UK store with the EU mainland identifier, so disc saves don't work;

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Separately, I bought The Pedestrian last night. Been waiting for it a while and kept seeing Shuhei Yoshida tweet about it. 

£12.99 for both the PS4 / PS5 versions of a chilled puzzle-platform game where you control a stickperson through multiple screens of signs creating a path to get them from one end to the other. 

It looks great, sounds really nice and is good fun.

That does look intriguing, can’t imagine what the difference can be between PS4 and PS5 versions though, maybe it’s just making it fully compatible rather than via BC.

My machine started to do odd things yesterday whilst watching Netflix. Beforehand I'd been playing Demons Souls via disc and closed the game/app in the proper way and left the disc in the machine. 

We started watching Better Call Saul on Netflix, and about half-way through the 2nd episode the disc drive spun up to max revs! I pressed the pause button the controller and it seemed to stop. Put it down to an odd occurrence. Then it did it again through the 3rd episode and wouldn't shut up, so ejected the disc.

No idea what is going on here, had no such similar issues on the PS4 Pro. 

I'm still slightly peeved that these machines, when you start a game, spin up the disc inside again for a minute or so at full pelt. No games actually run off the disc, its all initially installed to HDD, so why are you maxing out the drive when the game loads? Even if I insert a disc, walk off for 10 minutes, come back, start the game, it whirs up again. I haven't pressed the eject button, this disc has already been read and verified, so why do this?

On 30/01/2021 at 14:12, FiveFootNinja said:

In my experience at least disc vs digital of the same title generally works fine. It's just when you move between editions (e.g. GOTY, etc...) you get more issues.Then you obviously things like Spider-man PS4 to Ultimate Edition on the PS5 not being possible, however as most stuff is running in BC mode I have - for now - had zero problems with my old saves.

Despite protestations from the Xbox crowd this isn't just a Playstation issue. Things like original Ori and Blind Forest saves won't work with the definitive edition of the game, and the Witcher 3 has the same save transfer issue on both platforms. Xbox does seem to have a better track record on the whole though and better back end for devs to make it work.

My launch PS4 spiderman save transferred fine to the Ultimate edition on PS5??